Shattered Sapphire Screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Apollonian, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

I have a space black apple watch and wore the sport band today to work out. I always have found the sport band to be slightly clumsy compared to the link band and today I paid the price. I was putting the watch back on after a shower, my hands were slightly wet, and the watch tumbled to the tile floor shattering the screen. To all those who say they don't understand how you can drop the watch it is easier than you would think. Until the drop I must admit that the entire watch did not show a single scratch with daily wear. Thankfully I purchased Applecare+ and a new one is on the way.[​IMG]

2. Haxley, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

Haxley macrumors regular

Haxley

You could have been wearing it in the shower this whole time with of AppleCare+, looks like it would have saved you an incident ;):)

3. Apollonian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Touché, either that or I should have just stuck with my link band

4. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Accidents happen and unfortunately it's usually not until they happen to us that we rethink how we do things to prevent them in the future. One watch life down, one left. Glad you had Apple Care+ and glad to hear how painless it was to process your watch through. I was just taking my Apple Watch off last night to wipe it down and put the Watch on the charger for the night and thought, I really should be wiping this down while on the bed instead of doing so over our tiled bathroom. We have a rug at the sink but you how how those Watches will jump for the tile floor instead. Here's hoping I'm not writing a post like this at some point in the future but I also out Apple Care+ and thinking with plans to keep the watch for at least two years it was a good move.

5. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yikes, sorry to see that shattered glass. It sure seems like the sapphire isn't as thick as on high end watches, judging by the number of breaks that we've seen.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think it's that. Sapphire is more shatter prone than glass and people have posted quite a few high-end shattered watches, including Rolex.

Either way, I make it a point always to put on my watch over the bed, even though I have the link bracelet. It's a good habit to get into.

7. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Im the same way. I'm not gonna do the one-handed dance that is fastening the sport band over a hard surface. My bedroom is carpeted so it's not too big a deal.

Any iPhone or Sport could also break on a tile floor. But they will scratch if scraped against a hard surface unlike the SS. I didn't buy my SS watch so it wouldn't crack if I dropped it. I assumed it would. I bought it because I hate scratches from rubbing against drawers, desks, tables etc.

8. floridonet macrumors regular

This is my story exactly!!! Happened to me this morning. Sucks they still don't have same day replacement.

Attached Files:

9. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

a
    I've seen a lot of instances of the Apple Watch sapphire breaking from a few foot drop, which watches like Rolex generally tend to withstand. It may simply be because the Apple's sapphire curves around the edges of the watch, rather than being more protected by a bezel.

10. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Yup. The good thing is, it's a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to replace the screen than it is to dismantle a mechanical watch—including the entire movement—to clean out any tiny sapphire shards that could migrate among the gears.

11. Roller macrumors 68020

Like the OP, I found it a bit awkward to put on the sport band and almost dropped my watch a few times. That was one reason why I replaced it with a third-party link band. Unfortunately, that band has opened unintentionally a few times when I bent my wrist, but it didn't slip completely off my wrist.

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Glad you have Apple Care + too, you'll be enjoying the watch again soon.

The problem I have with Apple Care + on iPhone and Apple Watch is the inconsistency in these products. It is too common to find a ding or a scratch in the tiny bezel between the sapphire glass and the main body of the watch. Getting one perfect could require lottery luck, but if you're not worried about perfect, Apple Care + is great. I have it on my current watch and phone. Unfortunately, my phone has needed replacement and now living with a phone that creeks each time I grab it in the lower right hand corner.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This was one reason why I opted for the sport model, the ion glass tends to be a bit more shatter resistant then then the sapphire. Regardless, I'm glad you have AC+, that sure came in handy.

FWIW, I've not had any issues with getting the sports band on, its quite easy and I never let go of one end, even if the other hand drops off :)

Good luck with your replacement.

14. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

*weeps silently for the fallen Space Black brethren*

Corner falls are deadly to just about any type of screen. Glad you have AC+, and don't have an eternity to wait.

15. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Damn... yours looks like it took more than one spill. Or a prolonged trip down some concrete steps.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep everyone was hyped on the sapphire bandwagon but:

- Both are covered in a coating which is more likely to scratch than either glass
    - Saphire tends to shatter very easily compared to ION-X.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Either will shatter if it hit a tile floor just right! I will take sapphire any day for the scratch resistance.

The moral to this story is always put on and take off your watch while holding it over a more friendly surface.

18. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I was wondering if the sapphire version showed scratches in the coating easily. You see that in analogue watches, too, when the makers oddly decide to put an AR coating on the outside of the sapphire.

While both can shatter, the Ion-X sure seems to be stronger in this regard, from every test that I've seen.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

correction. He could have been wearing it in the shower the whole time as water damage is covered under the manufacture warranty.

20. Apollonian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

I was shocked to find out that there wasn't same day replacement! I talked to Apple and made two separate phone calls because I thought the rep was mistaken. At least there is express replacement but I keep glancing to my wrist this morning and every time I do I remember my poor shattered SSSB.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I also think that is crazy! Is this the only product they sell that is not same day?

22. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It'll show them pretty much the same as the sport. They are removable, but my removing the scratch you'd lose the oleophobic coating in that spot.

23. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Isn't this also the only product they sell that hasn't had enough inventory to roll out to all their markets yet?

When supply finally catches up, you can start complaining. Until then, wait, and don't drop your watch.

24. floridonet macrumors regular

Apollonian, have you received your replacement yet? I brought my watch in Tuesday and still haven't received the call telling me the replacement is ready.

25. jediuia macrumors regular

You must have floors made of diamonds:) I have dropped mine a few times and never a scratch.