Shazam App is Now Ad-Free Following Apple Acquisition

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Two and a half months after Apple announced the completion of its Shazam acquisition, the music recognition iOS app is now completely ad-free [Direct Link]. Previously, Shazam would present users with various border advertisements throughout the app, similar to most other ad-supported iOS apps, but as long as you are on version 12.5.1 you will no longer see any ads in Shazam.

[​IMG]

The app still opens on the main "tap to Shazam" screen, where you can discover a song by allowing Shazam to listen to it. To the left of the main screen is the "My Shazam" area, where the app keeps a list of all the songs you have Shazamed recently. To the right of the main screen is Shazam's "Discover" tab with artist, song, and playlist recommendations, user posts, friend Shazams, and more.

Shazam finally going ad-free comes one year after Apple first announced its plans to acquire Shazam back in December 2017. At the time, Apple said, "Apple Music and Shazam are a natural fit," and that the two companies "have exciting plans in store." In September 2018, Apple completed the acquisition and said that the Shazam app would become ad-free soon.

In October 2018, Shazam began informing its users about the Apple acquisition and aligning its data privacy policies with those of Apple. Shazam has been built into Siri since iOS 8 and there are connections with Apple Music in the Shazam app, and Apple is expected to further integrate the music recognition service with its products down the line.

Article Link: Shazam App is Now Ad-Free Following Apple Acquisition

2. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    This is definitely one of the things I like about big corporate acquisitions!

3. Chytin macrumors member

Chytin

What is Apple going to do with Shazam? Perhaps bake in this discovery service in iOS but other than that, I don’t get it.

4. sransari macrumors 6502

That and offer it ad-free so more people use it and end up downloading songs from the iTunes Store. Pretty valuable acquisition for just these two use cases.

5. friednoodles Suspended

They'll use it to encourage more people to sign up to Apple Music.

But as long as its core functionality of recognising songs remains, that's all that matters to me. I'd prefer to eventually see promotion of Apple Music than seeing other random ads.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why does anyone with iOS have any need for Shazam? What’s the point?

7. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

News is 2 weeks old

8. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Thank you Apple. Although I am a little surprised that the ads were not replaced with a big Apple Music banner.

I use Shazam and have for years on the iOS. It is a good app.

What is the point not to use it? Are you are going to suggest an alternative within the OS?

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’m asking, “What does Shazam do that ‘Hey Siri, what’s this song?’ doesn’t do?”

What’s the point of another app? What am I missing?

10. fede777 macrumors newbie

fede777

What's the point of Shazam Encore now? They still offer it at 2.99

11. syklee26 macrumors 6502

12. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

I’m not sure if Siri can do this, but I can use the Shazam app to look through my old shazamed songs.

I use the history feature a lot. You can also get lyrics instantly, I use that a lot too.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you open the iTunes Store and look in the top right corner and tap list, one of the lists is all the songs that Siri has looked up for you and a link to purchasing them in the iTunes Store.

I see the merit of having one’s search history and lyrics all in one app, I just don’t like having redundant apps when I can already do the same thing in iOS or with something I use so infrequently.

Choice is a good thing though.

14. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

Meh. Back in the day when the AppStore was new, you had Shazam or Midomi. I preferred Midomi and purchased it. It was eventually renamed to Soundoud ∞.

15. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

Guda.FL

Having your phone pick up a song whilst being out and about and being able to listen on apple music or download/purchase is win on its own.

Valuable intigration possibilities in future.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It’s been integrated since iOS 11 debuted.

17. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

Guda.FL

Havent noticed, where and how

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Turn on the radio. Ask Siri, “What song is this?” Give her a few seconds.

19. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

Guda.FL

Oh that, thats not what i meant. But good feature.

20. cristianvaldez macrumors newbie

Some people don’t want to ask Siri, and just tap to listen

21. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Sometimes I don't feel like shouting at Siri to ask her something. A simple tap within the Shazam app will suffice.

22. Infinite Vortex macrumors member

Infinite Vortex

One thing Apple has done with Shazam is to replace Google Play with Apple Music as the default player on Android devices and it stops you from changing that. I can't seem to even find a place where one can connect to Spotify either.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I suppose that’s fair. Though I never feel the need to shout at Siri, as I said, choice is a good thing.

24. Sovon Halder, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

Sovon Halder macrumors 6502

Sovon Halder

You are missing these...
    • The app is faster. Siri uses Shazam results anyways. With the app you don't have to ask Siri in front of other people which is embarrassing sometimes and in a crowded places, this helps a lot. And also the results are stored in playlist unlike Siri results.
    • You can customise settings with the app, playlist and all that directly goes to apple music playlist automatically which is awesome. Play one song while listening for the next all without jumping between apps, unlike Siri.
    • The discovery tab is pretty damn useful. Good recommendations there. Some 7-8 cards with good stuff.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    I'd also like to know this.

25. AskMcG macrumors regular

AskMcG

Just in case you did not know, the "hey Siri, what song is playing?" command uses Shazam to look up the song. The Shazam software is baked into iOS, so all "Hey Siri, what's this song?" is doing is invoking that code to pull up the results in a different UI.