Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is offering up to a five-month free trial of Apple Music to new users of the streaming service, in a unique partnership with country music singer Dolly Parton.

apple-music-shazam-dolly-parton-offer.jpeg

Like previous Apple Music promotions, the offer is linked to Apple-owned Shazam, but this time with a difference. Viewers of yesterday's Super Bowl were invited to use Shazam to identify a Parton song played in a commercial to unlock the offer.

The song "5 to 9," a new spin on her hit classic "9 to 5," was played as part of a Super Bowl commercial for Squarespace. Parton posted details of the promotion on her Twitter account.

Users who missed the opportunity to Shazam the commercial can still take advantage of the free trial by following the link included in Parton's tweet.

The offer is valid in Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Philippines, Poland, South Korea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Canada, and the United States.

Apple usually offers up to a three-month free trial of Apple Music to users who haven't subscribed to the service before, so this latest promotion represents one of its better deals. According to Apple, the promotional codes for this offer expire on March 31, 2021.
If after activating the deal you're not convinced, you can cancel your Apple Music subscription without losing your access to the service for the duration of the trial.

Shazam is a free download from the App Store [Direct Link].

(Via 9to5Mac.)

Article Link: Shazam Dolly Parton and Get Up to Five Free Months of Apple Music

Reactions: DeepIn2U

atoqir

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
Oeh nice.

Great trick I use is making a new AppleID and activate a trial and then add the new user to my family sharing group. You can almost have infinite free trials this way. When the trial expires remove the user and repeat with a new promo.

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Oeh nice.

Great trick I use is making a new AppleID and activate a trial and then add the new user to my family sharing group. You can almost have infinite free trials this way. When the trial expires remove the user and repeat with a new promo.
Oh interesting. But is the trial for family or individual plan?

I'd rather Apple give me free trials of Music than Apple TV+. :D

Reactions: decypher44
Comment

Cabin

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Pa.
According to the Terms of Service, No.

TERMS OF SERVICE​

Individual memberships only

Comment

Banan911

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Aarhus, Denmark
I cant figure out how to actually activate the offer? If I follow the link in Dolly’s tweet it just takes me to Shazam, where I can play a portion of 9 to 5? Has anyone succeeded in getting it to work, and how did you do it?

Comment

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I cant figure out how to actually activate the offer? If I follow the link in Dolly’s tweet it just takes me to Shazam, where I can play a portion of 9 to 5? Has anyone succeeded in getting it to work, and how did you do it?
Are you in the U.S.? Have you ever redeemed a Music offer with that same ID? Are you a current subscriber of Apple Music?

Comment

Banan911

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Aarhus, Denmark
Are you in the U.S.? Have you ever redeemed a Music offer with that same ID? Are you a current subscriber of Apple Music?
I’m not in the US, but the offer is valid in many other countries according to the article. Never had an Apple Music subscription before. It just opens like in the screenshot

Attachments

• C7ED92AC-CB68-407E-BC57-A1C3362432ED.jpeg
    C7ED92AC-CB68-407E-BC57-A1C3362432ED.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 53
Comment

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Oeh nice.

But how does this work, I thought trials were only for individual plans? How does adding it to your family sharing give you access to the trial?

Comment

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Oeh nice.

I suppose you think shoplifting is fine too? This mindset is the reason prices are not lower. Cheating hurts everyone.

Comment

porotrico

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
Oeh nice.

If I am not mistaken, this “workaround” doesn’t work anymore, because when you add user to your family sharing, Apple Music trial ends. It used to work only when Apple offered Apple Music trial with cancellation during the trial period and at the same time the trial continued till end of the trial.

However now, the first three months trial is cancelled immediately when you click “cancel trial”. The same thing is with family sharing. Once the user is added to family, his Apple Music trial is ended.

Reactions: WannaGoMac
Comment

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
I love Dolly which is why I own her music.

Apple should work on improving their products so they don't have to keep giving them away.

• Angry
Reactions: NetMage
Comment

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I love Dolly which is why I own her music.

Apple should work on improving their products so they don't have to keep giving them away.
I think Apple having 72+ million subscribers is pretty good. With this being early in the year and many people got new phones, it makes sense for Apple to remind new owners about Apple Music.

Comment

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Trying to get this for my wife, does it work on the Android AM?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.