Shazam for iOS Gains Revamped Interface, Real-Time Lyric Syncing Feature

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Is there actually a day to day use for Shazam at all that would justify Apple's invest? For me it's an app for some few occasions that will not necesarily trigger AM sales. Well...

Last edited:

Wide opeN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Confused by this comment.

Both Shazam and Midomi (which would later be rebranded as SoundHound) were among the first wave of apps on the App Store ... before Android even existed.

Here's a link to an article from 2008 comparing the two (Midomi (SoundHound) beats out Shazam according to this reviewer):

https://www.imore.com/app-app-shazam-midomi

Clearly, a review from anyone (especially one that's over 10 years old from super old versions of the apps) isn't reason for anyone to say "No! Don't use that app, use this one!": use the app you enjoy, for sure. That's beside the point of me posting this. But SoundHound has been part of the iOS app flock since before Android was even released.

So, not sure where 'android exclusive' came from :eek:
The last time I used it, it just didn't seem up to snuff, and the hum to identify a song feature didn't work at all.

It was an underwhelming app is all, and in that sense reminded me of Android.

Shazam was well designed from day 1. Let's be real... Who really talks about sound hound!? Lol!!!

radiohead007

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
The last time I used it, it just didn't seem up to snuff, and the hum to identify a song feature didn't work at all.

It was an underwhelming app is all, and in that sense reminded me of Android.

Shazam was well designed from day 1. Let's be real... Who really talks about sound hound!? Lol!!!
True it’s a bit clunky, but the “OK hound” feature is pretty awesome. It’s more feature packed and it’s more open music platform than Shazam. Although neither support a “play on Tidal” feature. My go-to music service.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
My Shazam was updated yesterday and it's not the first update since Apple bought them but when running it today, it had an ad at the bottom of the window ! Since when do Apple apps contain ads ?

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Live lyrics was already in Shazam
It's been gone (removed) for at least a couple of years though. Now it's back.

What do you mean by this?
I presume you have to enable this but it's basically "always listening" and IDs music that it hears in the background. Probably shows it similar to a notification. If the phone is offline, it actually has a small database of songs that it can still ID. If online, obviously the songs it can ID is much, much greater.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I presume you have to enable this but it's basically "always listening" and IDs music that it hears in the background. Probably shows it similar to a notification. If the phone is offline, it actually has a small database of songs that it can still ID. If online, obviously the songs it can ID is much, much greater.
Sweet tip!

Called Shazam Auto.
Online google search shows it used to be in Shazam, My shazam profile tab and clicking the Settings icon. Yet it states he other option 3D touching Shazam app gives you the option to turn on Auto!

Nice. SoundHound has no such feature I can find.

Attachments

souzadias

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
True it’s a bit clunky, but the “OK hound” feature is pretty awesome. It’s more feature packed and it’s more open music platform than Shazam. Although neither support a “play on Tidal” feature. My go-to music service.
And as mentioned above SoundHound have had live lyrics for ages...

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
My Shazam was updated yesterday and it's not the first update since Apple bought them but when running it today, it had an ad at the bottom of the window ! Since when do Apple apps contain ads ?
Since the app hasn't been legally bought yet. The transaction hasn't been finalized and the teams and plans hasn't been merged.

Guys at Shazam don't sit and wait for Apple to command, they do what they planned to do. They will receive new management they will adjust accordingly.