Shigeru Miyamoto: Apple and Nintendo See Eye to Eye on Simplicity

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of the launch of Super Mario Run on iOS later this week, Nintendo video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto sat down with video game site Glixel to share some thoughts on what it was like working with Apple.

According to Miyamoto, amid discussions about entering the mobile space, his team set out to build the simplest Mario game they could, doing away with a lot of the complexity that has been added over the years.

[​IMG]

Apple was an ideal partner because Nintendo felt development support was necessary, and the partnership has led to some heavy promotion of Super Mario Run in the App Store and at Apple retail stores. Apple also helped Nintendo settle on an ideal pricing model after Nintendo shied away from freemium pricing.
    Miyamoto also believes that Apple and Nintendo have a lot of common ground between them, focusing on how people use products and marketing products to a wide range of people. "They put a lot of effort into the interface and making the product simple to use, and that's very consistent with Nintendo," he said, likening a story about a Super NES controller with colored buttons to Apple's colorful Apple logo.
    Super Mario Run will be available on iOS devices starting on Thursday, December 15. Exclusive demos are available in Apple retail stores around the world ahead of the game's launch.

Super Mario Run will be free to download and try, but unlocking full gameplay will require users to pay $9.99. As was discovered last week, an always-on internet connection will be required for security purposes.

Miyamoto's full interview, which covers topics like his role on Nintendo's creative team, his hobbies, and his inspiration, can be read over at Glixel.

Article Link: Shigeru Miyamoto: Apple and Nintendo See Eye to Eye on Simplicity

2. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

I really am looking forward to this. the price tag doesn't scare me away because I am willing to pay for quality. I appreciate that they offer a "trial" version for free.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Of course they do, now hurry up Tim. Buy Nintendo ASAP and make my dreams come true!

*salivating at the idea of accessing and playing Nintendo's virtual console library on my Apple TV* :eek:

4. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

And just like Apple, Nintendo went overboard focusing on simplicity instead of technology which is why the Wii U was such an enormous flop.

5. fumi2014 macrumors regular

I'm still kind of sad that a company with the imagination and talent of Nintendo, who have arguably produced the greatest games over the last thirty years is now forced to sell its software on Apple devices. It's a changing world.

6. RuffyYoshi macrumors regular

RuffyYoshi

But the Switch still has a headphone jack. They're not quite there yet.

7. blizaine macrumors 6502

blizaine

So, unlike a normal $9 iOS game that can be shared with my Family, this game requires an in-app purchase. Does that mean each person in my family that wants to play the full version will have to pay for it?

8. gluckett macrumors regular

I would happily pay the money, but the fact that a constant internet connection is required is a no-go. If I pay for it, I want to be able to play it offline.

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Apple already screwed the MacBook Pro up - we don't need them screwing up the Switch, too.

Just buy a Nintendo console if you want to play Nintendo's virtual console library on your TV. Why on earth would you want to be forced to use the Siri remote to play any serious game?

10. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

11. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

I think that in the not so distant future, they will work toward that. For me it isn't a deal breaker, but I can see how it is for many.

12. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

That is my only issue with it.

Pay up front = easy share.

In-app payment:
    * no sharing
    * doesn't work if it is ever pulled from the App Store.

I have apps that include IAPs to unlock features and disable ads. I cannot disable ads anymore since the app was pulled.

13. Yaemon macrumors regular

Yaemon

Unfortunately, I think that's the case.

14. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

As somebody who has been on the developer program for longer than I care to remember, the first page of this thread is depressing reading.

Imagine having to pay for software ?? :eek::eek:

15. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I'll keep this post simple then: No offline, no buy.

16. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Seriously, just make an official Nintendo controller attachment for iPhone and iPad then add full Nintendo titles. Would sell like hotcakes.

17. usarioclave macrumors 65816

"more of a fun feel to it"

I feel said hearing this. The fun side of Apple is dead, replaced by "smoothness."

I think the last UI thing I loved was the slot-machine chooser on iOS. Now everything is designed by Dieter from Sprockets. "So serious."

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am glad the they didn't pick freemium.

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

"Simple" like "Sorry, this game does not work offline" simple?

20. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Of course it would. Just Nintendo will never ever do that.

21. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

But they feel fine with data sucking, battery draining, 24/7 internet connectivity to play.

22. jamesnajera macrumors 6502

I think we have to wait for the failure of Nintendo Switch before Apple buys Nintendo.

23. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

I thought Mario appeared slightly thinner... now I know why.

24. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

Wii U was a flop because that weird tablet-controller, because of its cost (related to the controller), because it had poor development (also related to the controller), because its name too similar to the Wii and bad marketing in general.
    Every single analyst agrees on that (nothing to do with simplicity at all). But what do they know...

25. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo