Shiny mark left on macbook mouseclick button

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ingrid9, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ingrid9 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    I bought my macbook less than a week ago and I removed nailpolish from my fingernails and forgetting I had some on my finger I stupidly pressed the mouse button. I tried to get it off but the remover must have had some kind of bad ingredient making the plastic softer and it now has little scratchmarks on so looks even worse than in the first place (they don't seem to have damaged it too much, its more just a visible mark than a permanent one... i hope)

Anyway, is there something I can use that will tackle a substance containing ammonia such as nail varnish... so it can be removed... or at least not be this crazy shiny mark?

I know this is probably not possible. :'(

ETA: i have now tried just plain water, and dettox. no change.

2. iRiFF macrumors newbie

hi sorry to hear that, if you purchased it less than 14 days ago you can take it back to the macstore and complain that it was like that when you bought it, most of the time they wont even look at it but will just give you a brand new one in the box and everything.

i took my first one back because it came with scratches near the keyboard and they replaced it without even lookin at it.

3. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Sorry to hear about that it always pi**es me off if I damage new items , but tbh the mouse button would probably end up shiny anyway ...

:(

chance your arm , but beware ...you may lose it .

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Just take it back to the store, and say that it was there when you bought it and you are very upset that Apple would let this defect through QA. If it was before the 14 day period is up, it will be a no-questions-asked replacement.

5. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The rest of the customer base eventually pay for this type of lying...

6. iRiFF macrumors newbie

well for the high price we pay for these macs already we probably wouldnt notice the increase anyway, :apple:

7. ingrid9 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestion... but i've had it a week so obviously have played around with it... loaded photos etc... won't i need to change it back to store settings and how would i be able to do this?

don't know if i could go through with it anyway... :/

8. iRiFF macrumors newbie

all you have 2 do is put everythin bak in2 the original packaging and take it back, for your own safety from fraud though you should delete any personal files/details and u dnt need to reinstall the osx they do it in the store at a later point, they wont even check it if u tell them it came like that.

9. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Yes, we wouldn't want any fraud... like lying about how the laptop came damaged.

Did you try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Nice ethics, guys. Really, is this the kind of advice you'd give your kids if they came to you with a problem? Think about it a minute before answering.

11. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

+1

...one to watch

12. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Dont listen to them, just a stupid idea, how will that work? Its so obvious, they should do a trial and error and see how that goes for them.

13. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

in this situation, probably

not too concerned with apple's bottom line

14. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

This is the first time I actually feel compelled to not be nice on these fora. So here goes...

F*ckers!

Stay honest, for the love of mom.

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

you sure showed us

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Nail polish remover = Acetone. Acetone will melt most styrene based plastics. Acetone is a solvent. Acetone can dissolve many plastics.

17. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I got to go with the honest crowd. You made the mistake, live with it (or try the Magic Eraser solution).

18. rekhyt macrumors 65816

... Have to agree.

19. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Aren't you the same guy who yesterday was crowing about how Apple should own up to their flaws/mistakes of hairline cracks and replace your MacBook. Pot meet kettle. Don't own up to anything, just let the other party deal with it. :rolleyes:

Apple did nothing wrong here. Why should they have to replace this particular one?

20. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

A lot of dishonest people here aren't there!

If you take it back to Apple and con them into replacing it you've got the hassle of moving all your files over.

Not worth it, notebooks aren't meant to last forever and they certainly won't look brand new (with regular usage) for more than a month.

Be thankful it works! When you have a real problem take it back to Apple

21. iRiFF macrumors newbie

Dear honest chaps, i agree tht honesty is the best way, but when youre dealing with economic globalistic fiends who just want your money and nothing else, might as well get the most out of them, i call it tax back. they take 17.5% so somehow you have to get it back. and when you pay 699+ for a notebook you expect a durable item. more then justified to be upset with them and get a new one. they dont care anyway, they just gonna replace the casing and sell it as a refurb so will make more then there money back and im sure they are just making 100% profit now and got there return on their production costs already since the macbook has been on the production line since 2006 so it aint gonna hurt them, come on people.

and also they probably happy to get rid of as many new ones (of the current model) as possible because they got the redesigns coming out soon.

to be succesful as a global company you have to be dishonest so dont act like your hurting apple lolol.

REVOLUTION HAHAAA:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Moving files is simple lol its a called an external hard drive or flash drive,

brand new macbook vs stained macbook with that good honest loyal apple feeling. hmmmmm

22. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Tiz just a morals thing , nothing to do with loyalty to Apple

23. iRiFF macrumors newbie

ok well i wold just like to state that i honestly respect your opinions.

24. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I have two suggestions. Magic Clean Eraser and when that doesn't work maybe you can intentionally but carefully use the polish remover to make the entire area look the same. If you did it well you may be able to get a nice matte look.

Ultimately, you're gonna do something silly again outside the return policy anyway. It's not ethical to pretend this damage was from the factory.

25. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

Apple didn't force the OP to buy a MacBook, yes you pay a premium with Apple products but only because you choose to.
    If I buy a car and accidentally dent it, I can't send it back, its my fault not the manufacturers.
    This is the same as the OP's situation, he/she is responsible for what happened to their MacBook

Apple doesn't make money by deceiving people, neither do most other multinational corporations.

I'm not being a fanboy but it annoys me when people think its ok to be deceitful.
    Besides, I'd find it suspicious if someone received a damaged MacBook, yet loaded all their files onto it anyway instead of immediately returning it

Edit: You mentioned they take 17.5% somehow, maybe a coincidence but do you live in the UK? If so I'm pretty sure your referring to VAT which Apple doesn't get a penny of, the treasury does.