Shiny/Oil Marks on MacBook Pro Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickMcCandless, Dec 24, 2016.

1. NickMcCandless macrumors regular

I have had this new MacBook Pro for just two weeks and it already has shiny keyboard keys even though I am constantly washing my hands and don't use my computer while hands or dirty or after eating without washing my hands first. Anyone else experiencing this? How can this be removed and prevented?

2. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

No matter how much you wash your hands, your fingers will eventually wear off the matted coating on the keys, leaving you with the glossy/worn-looking keys. The only way to prevent this is to use a keyboard protector.

I wouldn't worry about it if you're not planning on reselling the computer anytime soon.

3. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

4. JackieInCo Suspended

Just use the computer and don't worry about shiny keys. That's all you can do besides put a keyboard cover on it.

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Happens to nearly every keyboard. If you had painted PowerBook G4 keys then you wouldn't mind what you have now.

6. jmebbk macrumors regular

What's the safest thing to use to clean they keyboard?

7. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Water and a microfiber cloth, this is how you clean every part of the computer.

8. jmebbk macrumors regular

Is water really safe? Especially for the keys?

9. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I use iKlear spray on the screen and body - great stuff and Apple use it in their stores.

10. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

11. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Apple stores only use water and a microfiber cloth

12. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Dampen the cloth, wipe keyboard. Not that hard really. This is how almost every major technology company recommends you clean your electronics.

13. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

They don't in London - I've seen them use iKlear many times. In any event, it's great stuff.

14. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

With white gloves like Mickey Mouse? :)

15. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

No way around this. All keyboards develop "shine" eventually. It's just part of the whole process of typing.

16. 537635 macrumors 6502

Nope, Touchbar.

17. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

or stop using babyoil

:D

18. deadworlds, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Maybe he's typing wrong, causing excessive amounts of oils to rub off his fingers onto the keyboard.

Yes, this is a sarcastic post.

19. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would not apply any liquid directly to the keyboard. I'd moisten a cloth and use that.

21. Salaryman Ryan macrumors member

Salaryman Ryan

Most keyboards caps today in desktops and laptops are made with ABS plastic which tend to smooth out and shine overtime. This is why many keyboard hobbyist and enthusiasts replace their keycaps with ones made of plastics such as PBT which are much more resistant to smoothing.

22. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

I swear by it. I try all sorts of lotions. I went through a fragrance-free period last year,
    but now I'm liking this new brand fortified with rose hip. My sister, you know, she uses the
    aloe vera with the sun screen built in. You know, they say cinnamon is wonderful for your
    pores. Read that on the internet. And that ideally you should be wearing gloves to use your MBP,
    but I find that would interfere with my social agenda. Problem is, I get a reaction to camphor so I
    can't use traditional remedies.

23. a4k04 macrumors member

Just a heads up, this was one of the big causes of the screen coating issues from the earlier rMBPs. Apple specifically warns against any solvents on the screens...lens cleaner is full of solvents to dissolve the oil that people get on glasses. I wore away a small patch of the coating on my old machine using glasses cleaner.

See more here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172
    "...don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide that might damage the finish.

To clean the screen on your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down the computer and unplug the power adapter. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with water only, then use it to clean the computer's screen."

24. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

While I would advise to follow Apple's recommended cleaning method, as it is painless and simple, to say they advise not using solvents on their products is silly. Water is a solvent, which dissolves a very high number of substances, making it one reason they recommend using it to clean their products.

25. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

In the context of cleaning, you know exactly what they mean as "solvent".

Same thing if you get your hands dirty with paint and someone tells you to use a solvent to remove it, you know they don't mean water.