Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vynck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Hey, I'm from Belgium and I wanted to buy the new iphone SE 2020 here in Belgium. It got advertised as a $399 phone so I thouht that it would be even cheaper in Belgium due to the currency difference, but no, it's €489 wich is just too much. So I thougt, I have a friend in America that can just buy it over there and then I could just pay him back in Euros. Only I just discovered that it's illegal or something like that to bring a new iphone thrue the airport, but I don't really know... Anyone who can help me?

Lucas284

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2018
Netherlands
Sure, you can do it, but you will lose your warranty in Belgium as the warranty is valid in US only. So you’ll have to bring it back if it needs a repair in that 1 year. You can always bring it to a repair shop though, but you’ll have to pay.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I would buy it in Belgium. You also need to check if the US sales tax is included in the advertised price. Most US outlets leave it out of the advertised price. I don't believe it is illegal to bring in to Belgium on its own, but it could be if you don't pay duty on it. Also if you want to insure it, or make a claim if it is stolen, it could be an issue. It would be with me here in Norway if I bought something expensive abroad and did not pay the duty on it when importing it into the country, my insurance would not cover it.
Most Apple products do have a 1 year global warranty which can be extended with Apple care, but you would also have to check that as well. I have taken in 2 previous iPhones in for repair and have been given 2 replacements over the last 10 years, so for me the warranty is a vital part of buying an Apple product. Good luck!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You need to include US sales tax. VAT is already included in your belgian price.
Also, you'd have to add the shipping price.
And you get another 1 year of guarantee by buying it in the EU.
You get a charger with a US plug.

It is not illegal to ship out of the US.

Not worth buying it in the US at all, in my opinion.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Ramis

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
Sometimes I am buying Apple products from US. As now I am looking for iPhone 13 Pro I can give statistics.
Here in Lithuania iPhone 13 Pro with 1TB costs 1 869,00 €
In US Apple store it is possible to get for $1,499.00 = 1 279,25 €
From reshipping dealers same phone with all costs included (posting & import taxes) selling for 1557.83€ ($1803.81)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.