Shipping an iPhone 3GS and Cases Worldwide In an Envelope

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm shipping an iPhone 3GS (with original accessories), two cases, and a dock, each in their original boxes, to Malaysia through USPS Express shipping (since that's where the buyer on eBay is from. I want to ship everything (all in their original boxes as mentioned in an USPS padded flat-rate envelope since it's much cheaper than a box, and there are no flat-rate Express Mail boxes. It doesn't seem too unlikely that everything wouldn't hold up. Am I correct in that assumption?

2. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

So, is it a good idea or not to use a slightly padded envelope to ship the iPhone and extras in their original boxes rather than one big box?

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It is a very bad idea to send anything to Malaysia via USPS!

It raises a major red flag, that you are being ripped off by your eBay buyer. Please consider not giving away your iPhone 3GS. Please consider selling via Craigslist to someone local where you have a good change of getting your MONEY.

Did the buyer suggest USPS or was that your DUMB idea? DON'T do it. How did the buyer pay, Paypal? Please check the forum for another poster that sent two iPhones and lost them both and the money!!!!!

If you really have to it, please use a delivery service the requires a Confirmed Signature for delivery.... Please read the terms of Paypal again, they will not protect you or your MONEY!!! There is also the seller that lost an iPhone in Norway. Again, please search the forum.

Dave

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Thank you for your feedback, Dave. The buyer does have good recent feedback. Yes, USPS shipping was my idea, though the buyer also had a choice of UPS. UPS cost a lot more, though. I don't want to be biased towards the buyer since my feedback is perfect, and I don't want to get negative feedback for being overdemanding. I have shipped two iPhones domestically (obe may have been international, I forget) and an iPad to Hong Kong without a problem. Yes, the buyer paid through PayPal.

Does anybody else have any ideas? Not everybody from Malaysia is a scammer. Does the USPS even offer the option for a signature upon arrival internationally, let alone on flat rate envelopes?

5. Built macrumors 68020

I hear that the grandson of the deposed King of Nigeria is willing to outbid your buyer from Malaysia. :D

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

For how much? I had some people from Nigeria contact me in the past, but they never bid, only offered me good chunks of money :rolleyes:.

7. Built macrumors 68020

:D One of my all-time favorite quotes from NBC's The Office:

Toby: Didn't you lose a lot of money on that other investment? The email?

Michael Scott: You know what Toby, when the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Anyway, the buyer has good recent feedback from items purchased in other countries, though not the U.S. recently, and they all have been around $20. I don't think it sounds right to contact him to tell him I need to use UPS or that he needs to leave positive feedback before I ship it (so the payment is desposited into my PayPal account). What do you guys think?

9. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Its perfectly fine to say you need to use UPS, if USPS doesn't offer delivery confirmation or anything.

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The problem is that UPS costs significantly more, so I don't know if I should ask the buyer to pay another $45. I certainly won't pay the difference.

11. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Just as, if not more important than delivery confirmation is whether the shipping address is pay pal verified.

12. Built macrumors 68020

I have purchased MANY things off of Ebay. It is YOUR right as the seller to DICTATE the terms of shipping, i.e. carrier.

If you decide to CHANGE your shipping method based on the location of the buyer, as opposed to what is published on the listing, then it is the buyer's right to retract the offer. Period.

YOU DECIDE...NOT HIM.

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It isn't PayPal confirmed since many international addresses won't be labelled as such even if shipments were sent there.

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Not everybody from Malaysia is a scammer but this sounds like one of those I told you it was too good to be true moments.There are scammers everywhere, the location is just farther away and offers you almost no recourse if things go bad in your eBay transaction.

Please understand that Paypal will not protect you or your money. Read the terms. Nine times out of 10 they will side with the buyer and you will lose your iPhone 3GS and your money.

Go back and read the Paypal rules for sellers, make sure that you follow every step if you want any help (limited as it may be) if your buyer claimes later that your iPhone 3GS arrived broken or did not arrive at the address.

They have a very long time to decide and you have little hope of getting your money from Paypal. Please read, read, read the PayPal terms "YOU HAVE NO PROTECTION" in this type of sale.

Dave

15. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I didn't know that the USPS doesn't offer delivery conformation. You guys are making me paranoid. I just want to ship it out tomorrow and be done with it. I have shipped an iPad to Hong Kong with UPS, so I have experience shipping out expensive items internationally on eBay. The buyer's feedback is all positive, though it's all cheap stuff. Would the thread have been the same if I had posted about the buyer from Hong Kong? Probably. Still, I would not like to be scammed (obviously), but I also would not like negative feedback. Would contacting PayPal in advance help to be assured that I'll be protected as a seller?

16. Built macrumors 68020

A little paranoia might be a good thing for you.

You sound like a nice guy, and I really don't want to see you scammed. I am not giving you any advice I would not take myself...but...I do not know you, and at the end of the day, it is your choice what you do.

Good luck, bro.

Google "malaysia ebay scams" if you don't believe me...

http://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q=malaysian%20ebay%20scams

17. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

How would it sound if I told the buyer I had dropped the iPhone and it isn't working? I would likely relist it as a domestic buy it now. I would feel better just saying I won't ship to addresses that aren't PayPal-confirmed. Again, gaining negative feedback is what I'm trying to avoid.

18. Built macrumors 68020

Absolutely. That is your right. As far as the concern over the negative feedback, I have seen many people get scammed on Ebay and when the seller attempts redress, the SCAMMER leaves negative feedback anyway!

19. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It sucks that the first guy who bid on my auction was from California and the Malaysian guy got it for $5 more. Maybe you're right about not going through with the listing. I'll contact him now. I hope I'm not making a wrong move, but I don't want to get scammed so maybe I got lucky with this this thread being a helpful way to prevent that.

20. joleel7 macrumors member

Check the URL below it is the used Iphone price in Malaysia.. If the buyer paid more than the price in the link below.. You should back out your deal now.

http://www.mobile88.com/cellphone/apple/apple-iphone-3g/price.asp

21. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I have contacted the buyer and explained to him that since his address is not confirmed by PayPal an he did not contact me as the auction description says, I will have to cancel the transaction and refund his momey. I'll update the thread with how that goes. Thanks for the help, guys.

22. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

the USPS does offer delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, and insurance for items shipped internationally. About a week ago i shipped and iPhone, case and battery to Indonesia with delivery and signature confirmation and 450 dollars worth of insurance for 28 dollars.

23. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I don't know if it was a mistake to not ship to this guy from Malaysia, but as I said I already told him I'm cancelling the transaction and giving him a refund. His messages nor his feedback haven't raised any red flags, though there have been a history of scammers from Malaysia.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If that guy only paid you five dollars over what someone in the states would have then it was wise to cancel. I've shipped once overseas during my eBay career and whilst the buyer was happy with the purchase, the extra hassle was not and would not have been worth it unless the buyer paid retail price + a slight premium (I.e. Not worth it). I'm cool with my international folk but the only place I'll ship to carefree is japan (because I know the people id ship to lol)

25. oregano76 macrumors newbie

Perhaps you could contact the guy from California and offer him a 'second chance offer?'