Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Shipping Estimates for Entry-Level 11-Inch MacBook Air Slip Slightly

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Supplies of Apple's new 11-inch MacBook Air seem to be tightening just a week after the product's launch, with Apple's online stores around the world showing shipping estimates for the entry-level model slipping to 1-3 business days. All other models (11-inch and 13-inch) remain at "within 24 hours" for stock configurations. In addition, a sampling of Apple's retail stores are similarly showing no availability for reservations of the product.

The reduced availability suggests that demand for Apple's smallest notebook computer, with an entry-level price of $999, is running high and that the company has run through much of its launch supply.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for Entry-Level 11-Inch MacBook Air Slip Slightly

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
If I traveled for work even remotely often I would be all over this!

Comment

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I could be wrong..

When I ordered mine the day after the announcement I thought the page said said 1-2 days and then the next day I checked and it said 24 hours.

Comment

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Makes you wonder if the macbook air's going to eventually kill the macbook.

Comment

cky880

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
I ordered a custom configured one today (1.6 GHz and 4GB RAM). Here's to hoping the shipping estimate on that doesn't slip too :(.

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I can't wait to finally sell my current MBP and get the 13" MBA. All these reviews and positive feedback, overall, have me super hyped. I've no doubt the white MacBook will eventually be phased out. The entry-level MBA will become the next MacBook for sure. I'm interested, though, to see what all this will mean for the Pro line in generations to come. Too bad we can't fast-forward time.

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Makes you wonder if the macbook air's going to eventually kill the macbook.

Most likely, it will. The 11" Air is the netbook everyone's been wanting. If Photofast and other companies can indeed make compatible storage upgrades that are cheaper than Apple's, I can see basic Air selling like hotcakes.

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
The base 11" Air is the perfect mobile computer for me. That's why I bought one immediately upon release.

I have an iMac for heavy duty. I even have a MBP that's gotten the cold shoulder since last week.

The 13" Air feels like no big difference from my MBP. The 11" is an entirely different animal (to me). It's the Mac portable I've been waiting for.

Comment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i'm surprised these are selling like crazy. IMO i consider the air to be the second mac after your imac/power mac for use on the road.
I would like to see a picture comparing the new airs the 17" mbp :p

Comment

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Too bad the memory is not upgradeble, yet.

Just kidding, I know it will never be.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Can we safely infer anything from this w/o knowing how many of each model Apple produced initially? I'm thinking no.

Hypothetical example: If Apple initially produced 10K of the entry model and 20K of the 128GB model and after a week the entry model sold out and 10K of the 128GB are still available you can't say one is a better seller than the other.

Comment

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
64gb of storage seems so small to me. You would hardly get any usage out of the drive once you get most of your apps on it.

Now the 256gb.... yum. I'd love to get one of those in my MBP.

Can't wait to check these out in stores.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I know you live for the snark, but in this instance, you've abandoned the truth.
Companion device is what Apple appears to be doing rather well now. It's tough to get a computer out of them when the product line is so flat across the board. It's all the same.

Comment

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
64gb of storage seems so small to me. You would hardly get any usage out of the drive once you get most of your apps on it.

Now the 256gb.... yum. I'd love to get one of those in my MBP.

Can't wait to check these out in stores.

It's true the 64GB does seem small, but I ordered a maxed out 11" on Monday (which has just shipped this morning) I'll be using it to connect to our file server at the office, so I really just need enough space for my apps (CS5 / Office 2011) and a little extra for SC2 during down time. :D

Can't wait to smell it...err...use it.

D.

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Companion device is what Apple appears to be doing rather well now. It's tough to get a computer out of them when the product line is so flat across the board. It's all the same.
In my opinion, the MBA was always more of a companion device than a primary system. For light use users, I could see where the MBA would be plenty.

It's in no way dumb. And it's in no way limited to the use of the internet. You're making arguments that are marginal even when applied to the iPad. This Mac laptop is no iPad.

Comment

emboahora

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Hope they start sending 4GB RAM models to the Apple Retail Stores so that it's easier to buy them.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
In my opinion, the MBA was always more of a companion device than a primary system. For light use users, I could see where the MBA would be plenty.

It's in no way dumb. And it's in no way limited to the use of the internet. You're making arguments that are marginal even when applied to the iPad. This Mac laptop is no iPad.
Imagination and patience go a long way but don't tell that to anyone that owns a Macbook Air or iPad. There are enough people using outside of our defintions.

I don't even dare bring up Apple's own production cannibalization. You see one Core 2 + nVidia you've seen them all. Getting a surprise out of Apple would be a miracle. I just want a damn backlit keyboard now.

Personally I think jaded and bored would be more appropriate.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.