Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Plus its probably stolen, since there are no accessories sold with it and the seller says its "password protected".

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Looks like stolen. Sadly that's a a lot of money people have bid for it

Though can one not do a factory firmware restore?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nope, will require activation with the original owners iTunes u/p, hoping they turned on 'Find my iPhone'.

Now that I like.

----------

What's so shocking about it? A stolen item being sold?

Nah, that's normal.

The seller stating that the stolen item is password protected :)

Not often they give you a big hint like that , mind you it's got 11 bids and it's a really high price, was going to say the seller is not the smartest cookie......but it seems the buyers might take that award...

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Now that I like.

----------

Nah, that's normal.

The seller stating that the stolen item is password protected :)

Not often they give you a big hint like that , mind you it's got 11 bids and it's a really high price, was going to say the seller is not the smartest cookie......but it seems the buyers might take that award...

Even putting the IMEI on there publicly for Apple to tie it to the legitimate customer :eek:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Even putting the IMEI on there publicly for Apple to tie it to the legitimate customer :eek:

At least he knew where to find that :)

The really silly thing is, the phone works, and it's Password protected, so if it has a fault it would still be covered by warranty .

Some poor apple genius somewhere is going to have it deal with the fool that buys this . Feel sorry for the bloke already......

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
This phone is going to be useless to anyone who gets it. People are probably thnking they can do a restore and have a cheap phone.

Done a quick look and its apparently carrier locked.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
This happens all the time. Now that there is activation lock, there will be more "real" spare parts available as even a locked phone has value for its parts.

Everyone also jumps to the "stolen goods" scenario. We DoD not know the whole story and as the seller is posting the IMEI I would say they have nothing to hide. But this is the iPhone forum . . . .:p

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I tried reporting this to eBay as most likely stolen but the web page didn't seem to work properly on my iPad so I gave up.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I am so glad apple has this activation lock in ios7.

Phones aren't cheap. It's a felony in the United States cause of the value of the phone.

Nurse at work had her iPhone 5 stolen last year by kid who immediately sold it after restoring iPhone. They caught the kid on videotape taking it from Walgreens counter. And identified him on tape.

Kid not only sold phone but spent the money on clothes he had worn and washed so it was not returnable. And kid refused to identify person he sold it to. Probably to one of his friends who took iPhone overseas cause phone was unlocked.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
No wonder that theft is such a problem as potential thieves will see that they can still get a lot of money for phones that they can't get into.

I hope that the high bidder is either police or someone who is planning to teach the seller a lesson by not paying up. Their English isn't that great either, it just screams 'trying to pull a fast one.' So tempted to message them to ask how they came to be in possession of the phone.

Dambuster43

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
Lots of indignation....but nobody has reported the item and suggested to eBay that it me be stolen.

Can it really be the seller is so stupid to bung a stolen iPhone on eBay, knowing it can be traced back if the police are informed...bTW..its at £450 now!

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
Lots of indignation....but nobody has reported the item and suggested to eBay that it me be stolen.

Can it really be the seller is so stupid to bung a stolen iPhone on eBay, knowing it can be traced back if the police are informed...bTW..its at £450 now!
Well, if the dumb auction winner were to report the seller he'd risk incriminating himself as a receiver of stolen goods. I'm not certain that he can credibly plead ignorance with the description being so obvious.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Is activation lock only activated if you lock the phone via the "Find my Phone" site or is it activated simply at a restore?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is activation lock only activated if you lock the phone via the "Find my Phone" site or is it activated simply at a restore?

It's a part of Find My iPhone and you are prompted to turn it on during initial setup.
From that point on it is always on unless you manually turn it off.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Why would anyone bid the price to more than what a new phone would cost? SMH :confused:

People are willing to pay more than the market rate at the moment as the gold version is in short supply. Also, the phone might be a 32GB or 64GB version. Unsure as to whether or not the bidder could find this out from an IMEI search though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.