"Shockingly different" OS X coming next week, suggests pundit

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
What's not to buy? It's just reiterating all the rumours we've been hearing.

It'll probably feel similar to the reaction after seeing iOS 7 for the first time.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
If you've spent more than 5 minutes with iOS 7, I don't see how it can be all the shocking.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Where's scrollbar arrows in Mavericks? Or Rosetta?
You really want those ugly scrollbars back? That's one of the things I love about newer OS X versions. The scrollbar only appears when you're scrolling. Eh, different strokes.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
It will be sad to see the dock go after all these years. Interested to see what will replace the genie effect.. This is going to be the longest 15 hours ever. :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It will be sad to see the dock go after all these years. Interested to see what will replace the genie effect.. This is going to be the longest 15 hours ever. :)
Who said the Dock was going anywhere? In fact, I am pretty sure Apple stated that the OS X design is mostly staying!

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Who said the Dock was going anywhere? In fact, I am pretty sure Apple stated that the OS X design is mostly staying!
I guess we'll know in 15 hours. :)

And by the dock going I meant the shelf, not the dock altogether. These iOS-esque mock ups peg the dock to become a translucent bar.. Which would be a shame IMO.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

And by the dock going I meant the shelf, not the dock altogether. These iOS-esque mock ups peg the dock to become a translucent bar.. Which would be a shame IMO.
Now that would be disgusting. I hated the look of iOS 1-3, and greatly appreciated the Dock change in iOS 4.

The iOS 7 Dock is rather blase in my opinion. There is no texture for me to dislike, but no character for me to like. Then again, it took me a while to like the Mountain Lion/Mavericks Dock over Lion's.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Now that would be disgusting. I hated the look of iOS 1-3, and greatly appreciated the Dock change in iOS 4.

The iOS 7 Dock is rather blase in my opinion. There is no texture for me to dislike, but no character for me to like. Then again, it took me a while to like the Mountain Lion/Mavericks Dock over Lion's.
Agreed. Rather fond of the ML/Mavericks dock, hopefully it doesn't transform too much but iOS-ifying seems possible.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012

Not a fan of the 3d dock. I love the look of the current side dock and the older pre-leopard OS X dock.

Just my opinion though.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
is there still a need for those things? people still need to run PPC software?
PPC software shouldn't be regarded as old software. Compared to the amount of Win 9x apps that run fine on Windows 8, PPC software for OS X is fairly young still.

Didn't stop Apple from ditching it though so everyone would buy Intel replacements.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
PPC software shouldn't be regarded as old software. Compared to the amount of Win 9x apps that run fine on Windows 8, PPC software for OS X is fairly young still.

Didn't stop Apple from ditching it though so everyone would buy Intel replacements.
intel won the cpu war. PPC was good up until 2004-2005. IMO thats when it was becoming obvious that intel were more powerful cpus.

Apple had to eventually scrap the PPC and I think they handled it well by allowing to to slowly fade out during several major OS releases.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
We're not talking about the scroll bars, but the arrows in the scroll bar.
Can you really explain why people would need those? Damn, it would be fine if they just removed the whole damn scrollbar. Who uses it anyways? Using gestures to scroll is way more intuitive and easier.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
intel won the cpu war. PPC was good up until 2004-2005. IMO thats when it was becoming obvious that intel were more powerful cpus.

Apple had to eventually scrap the PPC and I think they handled it well by allowing to to slowly fade out during several major OS releases.
Doesn't mean they had to get rid of Rosetta. Sure, ditch PowerPC Macs after only one new OS release since the Intel switch. Sure, ditch the PowerPC OSs shortly after Snow Leopard is released. Sure, stop making new software for PowerPC Macs after only 3 years. All three of these, albeit very premature in comparison to the rest of the tech industries support lifecycles, I can forgive.

Ditching Rosetta? Biggest pain in the backside if your relied on your PowerPC software collection and still one of the main reasons to stick with Snow Leopard. Its horrible to spend so much on a computer, to find you can't run your older apps on it and knowing its most likely to be ditched as soon as Apple deem it too old to make a new OS for.

I'm hoping Apple will vastly improve its support lifecycle in the near future. It has been getting better in the last year or so with Mavericks supporting quite a sizable chunk of the Macs in the wild, but it has room for a lot of improvement.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
vertical
Can you really explain why people would need those? Damn, it would be fine if they just removed the whole damn scrollbar. Who uses it anyways? Using gestures to scroll is way more intuitive and easier.
You can remove them if you want. I can keep them if I want.

Not everyone has (or wants) gestures, or gesture-capable interactive devices. There's this little thing called RSI that can severely limit whether one can use a mouse, keyboard, trackpad, trackball, graphics tablet, etc. without experiencing pain. And I don't mean, "Oh my fingers ache a bit" pain, I mean "Holy crap my hands are on fire" pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.