"Shockingly different" OS X coming next week, suggests pundit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zen, May 30, 2014.

1. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I'm fine with something "shockingly different" as long as it is usable and makes sense.

2. profets macrumors 68040

What's not to buy? It's just reiterating all the rumours we've been hearing.

It'll probably feel similar to the reaction after seeing iOS 7 for the first time.

3. cube macrumors G5

Not surprising. Apple has been making OS X worse for years.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you've spent more than 5 minutes with iOS 7, I don't see how it can be all the shocking.

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Outside of increased resources... no.

6. OrangeCrush980 macrumors newbie

Where's scrollbar arrows in Mavericks? Or Rosetta?

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

is there still a need for those things? people still need to run PPC software?

8. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

You really want those ugly scrollbars back? That's one of the things I love about newer OS X versions. The scrollbar only appears when you're scrolling. Eh, different strokes.

9. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

It will be sad to see the dock go after all these years. Interested to see what will replace the genie effect.. This is going to be the longest 15 hours ever. :)

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Who said the Dock was going anywhere? In fact, I am pretty sure Apple stated that the OS X design is mostly staying!

11. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

I guess we'll know in 15 hours. :)

And by the dock going I meant the shelf, not the dock altogether. These iOS-esque mock ups peg the dock to become a translucent bar.. Which would be a shame IMO.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Now that would be disgusting. I hated the look of iOS 1-3, and greatly appreciated the Dock change in iOS 4.

The iOS 7 Dock is rather blase in my opinion. There is no texture for me to dislike, but no character for me to like. Then again, it took me a while to like the Mountain Lion/Mavericks Dock over Lion's.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes! They're not generally needed, but when you're scrolling through a list of 1000's of items, they're irreplaceable.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just in case you did not know if you go to :apple: --> System Preferences --> General (Top Left), you can enable scroll bars again!

15. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Agreed. Rather fond of the ML/Mavericks dock, hopefully it doesn't transform too much but iOS-ifying seems possible.

16. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Not a fan of the 3d dock. I love the look of the current side dock and the older pre-leopard OS X dock.

Just my opinion though.

[​IMG]

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

We're not talking about the scroll bars, but the arrows in the scroll bar.

Attached Files:

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

PPC software shouldn't be regarded as old software. Compared to the amount of Win 9x apps that run fine on Windows 8, PPC software for OS X is fairly young still.

Didn't stop Apple from ditching it though so everyone would buy Intel replacements.

19. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

intel won the cpu war. PPC was good up until 2004-2005. IMO thats when it was becoming obvious that intel were more powerful cpus.

Apple had to eventually scrap the PPC and I think they handled it well by allowing to to slowly fade out during several major OS releases.

20. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Can you really explain why people would need those? Damn, it would be fine if they just removed the whole damn scrollbar. Who uses it anyways? Using gestures to scroll is way more intuitive and easier.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Doesn't mean they had to get rid of Rosetta. Sure, ditch PowerPC Macs after only one new OS release since the Intel switch. Sure, ditch the PowerPC OSs shortly after Snow Leopard is released. Sure, stop making new software for PowerPC Macs after only 3 years. All three of these, albeit very premature in comparison to the rest of the tech industries support lifecycles, I can forgive.

Ditching Rosetta? Biggest pain in the backside if your relied on your PowerPC software collection and still one of the main reasons to stick with Snow Leopard. Its horrible to spend so much on a computer, to find you can't run your older apps on it and knowing its most likely to be ditched as soon as Apple deem it too old to make a new OS for.

I'm hoping Apple will vastly improve its support lifecycle in the near future. It has been getting better in the last year or so with Mavericks supporting quite a sizable chunk of the Macs in the wild, but it has room for a lot of improvement.

22. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Except, clicking on the link shows that it's a "Shockingly different looking OS X"

Big difference.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sorry! My mistake...

24. chown33 macrumors 604

You can remove them if you want. I can keep them if I want.

Not everyone has (or wants) gestures, or gesture-capable interactive devices. There's this little thing called RSI that can severely limit whether one can use a mouse, keyboard, trackpad, trackball, graphics tablet, etc. without experiencing pain. And I don't mean, "Oh my fingers ache a bit" pain, I mean "Holy crap my hands are on fire" pain.