Shold i change RAM to make my game run faster?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by hidakatheo, Aug 19, 2009.

1. hidakatheo macrumors newbie

Hello! I bought my White Macbook for a while ago and I'm thinking of changing my RAM from 2GB from 4GB. One of the reason i want to change my RAM is because i love to play games such as World of Warcraft but every time i play world of warcraft im not satisfied with the Graphics.

My friend told me if i changed my RAM the game would run much better but is that true?

I would be glad if there where any other things i could change to make my World of Warcraft run better please tell me. Thank you :)
    (Sorry for my bad English)

My Macbook-

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics: Intel GMA X3100
    HDD: 160GB

2. MaTUC macrumors regular

Yeah... a RAM upgrade could do something... but the main problem of your MacBook is the crappy video card..

3. hidakatheo thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Not worth it. Any performance increase that you would get by a jump from 2 to 4 GB would be marginal. As has been said, your video card is your chief obstacle. Unfortunately, if you really want an improved gaming experience, you need a better computer.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Gaming aside, upgrade your ram regardless. It will help on battery life. Depending on your programs and how many you like to keep open, it can make a noticeable difference in performance, as it will keep them from hitting the drive to swap as often.

On gaming, most of them do not take advantage of 64bit memory, so they'll just ignore the extra ram. The only benefit for 32-bit apps, is that they'll have their own memory space and not have to share a 2 gig block with the OS.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Definitely get it for the other improvements it will bring, but it won't make much impact on gaming. I added 2gb to my desktop machine (doubling its ram) but there was virtually no impact on Crysis.
    For games Ram is mostly used to store unrendered data like maps, sounds and other cache files. So it will probably make loading quicker.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A RAM upgrade will help everything but really the only way to improve your games is for you to upgrade the computer (you need a better graphics card).

As far as WoW, turning your WoW graphics settings down towards minimum should help.

8. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I really wish people would educate themselves before they blow 1000+ bucks on a laptop they plan to game with only to find out its a peice of ****.

If you want to game buy a new laptop with a discrete card. The new MacBooks will work okay for games though some games don't agree with the 9400m (and its also shared, but way better than the Intel GMA's)

9. hidakatheo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you every one :D

Im thinking of buy a better computer. any one got an idea what computer i should get? PC would also be fine.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you're serious about games get a homebuilt PC, none of this Dell/Alienware c**p. If you don't mind playing on mid-low settings for modern games get a 13" Macbook Pro. I play L4D on it occasionally and it runs superb.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've been told that for marginal machines such as a desktop G5, upping the RAM has a significant effect on performance in a game like WoW. However, video card in G5 desktops can be upgraded too.

12. oyebto macrumors regular

frankly, the x3100 are total crap i am also using the same macbook as you and even youtube lags occasionally. wun even consider gaming.