Shooting at Omaha Mall

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by swiftaw, Dec 5, 2007.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I can't believe that this hasn't been posted already.

This afternoon, a teenager opened fire with a rifle in the Westroads Mall in Omaha and killed 8 people before killing himself.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/05/mall.shooting/index.html

I work not too far from this mall, and in fact I was there yesterday.

2. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

3. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Seriously, wtf is up with American kids/teens and trying to do everything that's 'cool' or as in this case.. the killer wanted to go out 'in style' :confused: What a f@@king loser.. no right to take other people's lives if his own wasn't worth living.

Obviously gun control is never going to be implemented in this country.. everyone should just be armed everyday.. so they can take down idiots like this one.. I feel terrible for the poor victims and their families.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yes, it is horrible....I worked at that mall about 14 years ago opening up a brand new shoe store...sad to hear that kids now a days are resorting to this sort of behavior as a way to lash out at society.

We MUST stop bullying in our schools and all the other acts of unkindness that go on in society today!!! It is driving people to do so many horrible things.

5. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

News just announced that the gun was an AK-47.

Now they are saying it is an SKS assault rifle.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What is really interesting is how stupid these people are, they usually off themselves before they get started.

Which I am grateful for ... since the body count could really be high if they out forth the effort the Virginia Tech dude did.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

So true, and no one seems to care. But I'm sure they'll find some video game or album to ban.

Funny how all the warnings of terrorists attacking U.S. shopping malls since 9/11, they've all been americans. Go figure.

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

swan dive from a tall structure gets more style points. Selfish, ignorant fool, taking out other people who didn't have a thing to do with his miserable life.

9. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just a thought: When I was growing up in England, I remember watching soccer matches on tv. Anyways, when some 'fan' invaded the pitch, the cameras would immediately focus away from them. The idea, of course, is that they didn't want to show the 'fan' for fear it would spark other 'fans' to do the same, just for the attention.

Is this the same type of scenario, where people see how much attention these shooters get, and thus repeat it?

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

How terrible. I have never figured out why someone would kill a bunch of innocent people that had nothing to do with his life being miserable. I don't understand any of it. I spent a year in Iraq. Maybe if some kids saw what I did while I was there they would realize things could be so much worse.

Bullying should be stopped and as a teacher I have ZERO tolerance for it. Just ask my 5th graders how rough life can get when they are picking on others. I just hope I will teach them something they will remember as they move into their teen years.

11. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

my condolences to the families and victims.

Some day, I pray that people will stop blaming guns and video games. If the person was ever raised and taught well, it wouldn't have happened. guns don't cause people to kill people, no more than pencils cause me to misspell my words and my very bad handwriting. Parents need to start taking responsiblity of their children, and not blame video games/ movies. If the parent says, all my child does is play the ps3 8 hours a day every day, well thats bad parenting. and the teens need to get the blame for their actions, and not their games, music, and/or movies.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, exactly.

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Can't just blame parenting though, is it a parents fault if the child gets bullied, there are also mental issues as well which you can't account for. If you take away the access to guns the level of the incident is going to decrease. A multi pronged strategy is needed to overcome these problems.

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

this is sick. i wonder if the kid was on some drug like prozac, as i heard it can lead to violent behavior.

15. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

i'm assuming ur saying that bc of what i said. if you are, i said parents need to take responiblity and not blame games, guns etc, and the teen/shooter/etc needs to take the blame.

I know it is not a parents fault if their child gets bullied. But that parent could help their child deal with the bullying. and the bully's parents should teach their child not to bully.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It will not happen. As someone who was a victim of bullies throughout school, I'll tell you right now, kids are simply cruel. I always greatly preferred the company of much older people than me because the kids around me at school seemed so immature.

The more schools try to implement policies to stop bullying, the worse it gets. My elementary school tried to implement a zero-tolerance rule; meaning, if there was a fight, both kids get punished equally to prevent kids from acting in that way.

What that meant was a kid could beat me up and I would get in trouble for it just as much as them.

I had a few good teachers that would zero out the person who was causing trouble and punish them, but if the issue ever came before the principal (say, during recess) the school would just punish me too.

Teachers can help on a personal level, but there is no kind of policy that can be implemented on a wide scale to stop bullying. Not in our society with our current culture :(

As someone with Asperger's syndrome and thus prime target for bullying (being different; lacking certain social skills that people take for granted, like making eye contact or body language), I can say right now that the only reason I'm doing fine is because of the excellent support of my parents. They encouraged me, I felt loved, I kept working hard and ended up several grades above everyone my age and when I got to college people didn't act as stupid and immature (probably because they had to put their own money in to it ;) ).

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A 20 year old goes psycho, after getting dumped and losing his McJob.

Sounds like there were some latent mental issues with this person, who rebounded bad into severe depression recently.

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Is that what happens in nearly all these cases? that or bullying, seriously, some of these kids are so messed up, bring back the cane i say.

19. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It's stuff like this that pisses me off.

We're all scared of terrorists and ****, but it's our own Americans doing this crap to us because they have "mental" problems.

Unbelievable.

20. Dalriada macrumors 6502

What really pees me off is when the media give the guy such fame he was looking for. They should have blacklisted all photographs of the kid and from even naming him publicly. No Ethics whatsoever left in the media world, not that there ever were.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7130504.stm

:apple:Dal

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Isn't this like 300 years too late?

It'll never be revoked, too many overly patriotic people would go on a rampage and too many large companies would bribe the hell out of everyone, inadvertently proving they need to be banned..

22. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

What ever happened to someone just being crazy? :confused:

23. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I live in Omaha, have worked retail at Westroads for years (though not currently), and my mom was actually there at Younker's when this happened at Von Maur. (She's okay.)

All I have to say about this is that we need to (a) pull it off of the tubes where it's talked about constantly, (b) take it off of the radio waves where it's talked about constantly, (c) take it out of the newspaper where it's talked about constantly, (d) not fear going out and doing normal things like going to a mall or going to school today, and (e) focus all of our busybody energy on compassion for the young people so lost, confused, and downtrodden that they would snap and do something like this.

He was mentally disturbed, his family knew he was depressed, they knew he was a total gun nut, they knew he possessed guns for which he didn't have a license, they knew his girlfriend broke up with him, they knew that he was fired from McDonald's that day, and his friends knew he was planning on doing something like this. Furthermore, he'd been in and out of foster homes, quit high school without getting a GED, had several visits to court for drug and disturbance charges, his family had kicked him out, and he had no plan for his future except shooting guns. After losing the girl and the job, he had nothing else left to lose, he had no support network, he had too few positive role models, no experience coping with his stresses (aside from self-medication and shooting his guns), and clearly lacked the rational, sane thoughts that keep us humans from going postal like this. THEY SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING. And they should have done something about it.

This is why we need healthcare to take psychological/psychiatric care more seriously, and why we need it health coverage to be widespread for those under the age of 21.

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Everyone always wants to start pointing fingers at video games, rap music, and broken families for situations like this. Just this morning some lady was on the TV just trashing that kids mother. IMHO I think although other issues can be to blame it seems this counties never ending wars, the fall of the American economy and the American government turing it's back on the failing educational system leave people to feel helpless anger and desperate.

Of course there will be some bullS*** talk and finger pointing for a few weeks, then everyone will forget and repeat all of it over the next time.

25. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

What's next metal detectors and full security at malls and all shopping centers?