Shooting at our apartment

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Sep 16, 2012.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

HOLY ****

I've never heard gunshots before, but that just changed an hour ago. I was sitting on the couch watching the game when all of a sudden I heard four or five LOUD bangs, VERY close by. For a second I thought it was my loud neighbor upstairs banging on something, then realized it couldn't be since the sound wasn't muffled. I immediately thought someone was pounding on my apartment door with a maglite but was hesitant to go look since I knew I haven't done anything wrong. I then peeked out the peephole, saw nobody, then went outside and peeked out the front door of the building (I live in the back facing the parking lot, ground floor unfortunately but it was all that was available in January in MN) and saw the whole neighborhood standing outside looking around, then I knew right away it must've been gun shots. I went back in and worked to the back of the building, peeked outside that door and everyone was outside in the parking lot by then so I went out too.

Turns out one neighbor, though he didn't see the actual shooting, saw a crappy old Econoline van with three black guys backed into a spot in our apartment's parking lot. He then heard the shots and saw one of them run and jump into the van and then they took off. Luckily the neighbor got most/all of the license plate and a good description of the vehicle.

One car got both the rear passenger window and the front driver's door window blown out...looking at the line of where the bullet went, if the girl had been sitting in it getting ready to leave, it would've went right through her head/neck and killed her. Another car, an empty space away, has two bullet holes in the passenger front door.

Here's the thing. The two cars that got shot were the two RIGHT outside our apartment; as in, a slightly different angle on any of those bullets and it would've been right through our kitchen or living room window, possibly in my wife's or my head. Literally. The shooting was literally right in the direction of our apartment. Since nobody saw the actual shooting itself, we have no idea what they were shooting at or if someone was running around the side of the building. I was sitting on the couch right in front of one of the windows, it could've been me. My wife at the time was in the bedroom sleeping thankfully. What's scary to think is that it must've been a targeted shooting, since the guys were actually parked in our parking lot and one guy was outside of the car doing the shooting.

We are under our lease until January, but **** this. I've got a case number from the police, I'm going to the leasing office first thing tomorrow morning and telling them we are terminating the lease on our terms as soon as we find a new place because we don't feel safe, especially being that it was right at our apartment specifically, and we want our full deposit back. I feel like I have a pretty watertight case to get out of the lease; I would think if the apartment company were smart they would just say sure and let the lease slide and let us out, because I will take them to court and it's going to be pretty easy to prove my case that I don't feel safe otherwise.

Shooken up.

The window on the ground level in front of the black Jetta is my living room window, where I was sitting on the couch. The window on the left is my kitchen, which was right in line of the bullet through the Jetta's window.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Sorry you're shooken up, but good luck with that. Odds are they'd claim it's out of their control and they shouldn't have to take the "loss" because you feel unsafe. The situation is unfortunate, but unless they lead you to believe the area was 100% safe while in reality this kind of incident occurs often, you don't have much of a case. But by all means, consult a lawyer.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If only you had some guns of your own, you could have shot back.

4. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I'm glad you're alright and want to get out of there as soon as possible.

That is not a safe area to live in.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well that's good that your'e safe

----------

If only he had a gun of his own, then he could have defended himself if he was the target of a violent attack :cool:

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I should say, this definitely isn't the norm for this area. I realize the building/neighborhood look like a dump but it's actually a pretty nice area (apartment is all modern inside, stainless steel etc.), lots of artsy fartsies and wealthy gay people; we are right by a big strip of nice bars and a chain of lakes that everything here is centered around. This is basically the trendy part of town, so this is pretty unreal.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Didn't you used to live in Japan? You should have stayed there. :p

Actually, we don't have any issues with gun crime in Australia. If you're going to move, you may as well make it count!

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A shooting can happen anywhere with anyone of any race. Look up Cameron Village Shooting.

OP, I'd never live in that place anyway. One dumbass move and a car ends up in your living room. It happened to a college friend who lives in Syracuse twice in 3 years.

9. Colombianito macrumors member

OP, don't drive your self doing the "what if's". You are fine and so is your wife, be thankful for that.

There is really nothing you can do about it and I don't think you should move.

There will be crime everywhere and if its your day to go, its going to happen.

10. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

That's not true, at least in Sydney. They have regular drive by shootings here too. Nothing much to worry about though.

The real carnage is on our roads.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Good luck with the lease thing, but if they are not-nice people it's gonna cost you big time. Perhaps a better strategy is ask to be moved to an upstairs apartment? Start with the "we're leaving, and will go to court to break the lease if have to..." but then 'settle' for a nice apartment upstairs for the same rate. They might decide it's easier to do that than to collect on the lease. You certainly have a good motive to move, though. Or wait out the end of the lease....

Oh yeah... once he figured out it was a shooting, he could have retrieved his weapon, then the ammunition that is stored separate from the weapon - raced out the door loading the weapon - not got shot by the cops looking for someone with a gun and running - chased down the witness who got the description of the van - and then started running down the street looking for the van - not got shot by more cops looking for people with a gun, running down the street - run down the van without being noticed by the gunman (or perhaps gunmen) and who aren't puffing from doing all of that running - then used his steely nerves and rocksteady hand to aim straight and shoot exactly where he intended, without missing his target and putting his bullets through the windows of another apartment.

Oh yeah, genius plan....

I don't think Will Smith posts on these boards.... (MIB reference)

12. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

While that's true, there hasn't been a shooting here for at least 30 years.
    But if you drive out for while, you'll enter a neighborhood where it's not rare to have a shooting occur.
    Just saying.... some places just aren't safe.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't worry too much. It was sarcasm...:cool:

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Here come the Men in Black . . .

Sorry I had to :D

Next time use a simile > :rolleyes: :p ;)

Those usually convey you're joking. But w/e.

;)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's not THAT frequent though. It's not like people walk around in fear of gun violence. Gun violence in Sydney, Melbourne, etc, is even more rare than it is in cities like Toronto, which is a city that Americans would probably associate with the word "safe".

And the real problem in Australian cities, especially small- and middle-sized cities, are "glassing" assaults at bars, and alcohol-fueled violence. Aussies can't drink. Well....not in a way that they can be in control, or responsible. And while most people aren't violent, and they won't harrass you, many others will still be loud, vulgar, and will violently destroy city property, store-fronts, break the windows on the train and trams, etc. :rolleyes:

But hey, I never worry about being shot!! :p

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well you wouldn't store the ammo seperately from the weapon.

Well you wouldn't do that since you're defending yourself inside your home.

Well you wouldn't run outside for no reason.

Lol none of this would happen. Pure hyperbole.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is crazy. Glad you weren't hurt puma1552

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

That's OK - so was mine.... :)

Good Heavens - I live in gun-control Canada, and even I know that every gun safety course teaches you to store the weapon and the ammo separately.... in some jurisdictions I believe it's the law...
    And you, sir/madam have just shown you have not even read the first post.... were you perhaps reading and driving today?

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

You don't do that if you want to be able to rapidly defend your home. A gun isn't just going to start firing on it's own or something. Store rifles and the like without ammo in? Definitely. Handguns that you're using to defend your home? No sense is made there.

No I did read the first post. I was responding to the part where somebody mentioned how guns would have saved this, I pointed out that they would have been of great use had somebody invaded the OPs residence. Obviously just running outside and chasing down people who weren't even targeting you, and who are leaving the area in the first place is just a dumb idea.

And no, actually it was before class this morning. Though I did check responses on another forum while I was driving to the store today if you must know.

20. snberk103 macrumors 603

We've had this conversation before ..... so I'm not going to not push this into PRSI....
    ====

Really glad that OP is fine, and I hope he is able to resolve his lease issue. I'd also be more worried about a car coming through that window.....

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

It certainly wasn't my intention. I only brought it up once somebody took a dig at firearms in the thread.

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

The thread is about a shooting... how can it not be about firearms?

23. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well if you're going to advocate your stance, surely I'm going to advocate mine. One side doesn't get to say their talking points and get mad when the other sides expresses theirs.

It's off topic. I'm not going to say any more about it unless somebody else says something anti-gun and not expecting a rebuke.

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

I wasn't mocking "gun to defend myself" - I was mocking someone else's sarcasm....

You really gotta read a bit more closely /eric....

====

Although "gun to defend myself" is also pretty easy to mock... perhaps we can wait for this thread to go dormant.... 'though, iirc, correctly you had to leave the last debate we had unexpectedly.... am I remembering that correctly?

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

I don't think you've followed well with what's gone on in this thread.

If you say so. I don't think so at all.

Link? Me dropping out of a thread is usually disinterest, or I just get caught up with things and forget. I'm in school and in/out of meetings and stuff from 8-7 most days during the work week.