Shopping on your iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, May 21, 2009.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

I'm really surpised that more stores haven't created mini ecommerce apps for the iPhone. A iPhone Nike Store would be way cool and pretty slick!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Until 3.0, there is no "in app" purchasing. You may see more once 3.0 is out, but Apple takes a 30% cut of whatever is sold in the application... in which case it may not make sense for people to sell non-physical goods that way since they'd have to raise their prices to compensate for the 30% loss or take the 30% loss.

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i'm 99% sure in-app purchasing will not be able to actually sell physical items to users. It is meant for games to sell extra in game items. Or an ebook app to sell additional books to add to the app.

It would be nice to have more iPhone optimized web stores though. Like Amazon has.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

do people really feel the need to buy shoes on their phone while they're out for the day?

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

We're talking about people who paid $200 or more for a locked-down device, plus sign on to a $70+/mo contract for 2 years. Fiscal responsibility is not usually one of their strengths...

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This isn't a fiscal responsibility question (many people pay more than that for locked down devices btw) it's a practicality question.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Guilty as charged. I have eBay'd and pretty much bought like 10 items thru my iPhone

8. con500 macrumors regular

haha, we must not assume the OP is in the market for new shoes Nike have some nice trackies too. And i for one dont av the luxury of getting out for the day... my job prevents it:cool: Most of my shopping is done online these days

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

The OP mentioned it.

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'll use the Amazon app every now and then to compare prices on items I see in stores.

11. con500 macrumors regular

Actually the OP mentioned a Nike store Not Specifically shoes ;)

i get where your comming from tho:D

12. TapHappy thread starter macrumors regular

You are right, Nike sells more than just shoes! Their online store is amazing featuring hundreds of products, i.e. watches, t-shirts, athletic wear, etc. A iPhone app to browse their store would be really cool.

Another commenter mentioned that Apple would take 30% of any store. Not true. Those types of transactions would be completed outside of the iTunes payment framework.

13. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

do people really feel the need to shake babies while they're out for the day?

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

touche

15. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

I don't know why you would need that. I shop on my computer or in person at the stores. I don't understand why you would need that on your phone. But I guess if you're busy enough it makes sense.. well to each his own!

but maybe it would be cool..