Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Short answer 2012 i7 Quad-Core, 16GB, 1tb SSD Mac Mini and Big Sur can it be done and will it work?
I don't care what "Apple" says i care about reality.
Currently running Catalina latest version flawlessly and if I can run Big Sur will keep if not I guess it's time to upgrade although honestly not much Apple has made in years is very compelling especially at their couture prices.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
See this long thread

Macs officially compatible with macOS Catalina but have been dropped from official support in macOS Big Sur:
- These Macs so far are capable of running Big Sur properly, but WiFi is not yet fully stable

[...]

• 2012 Mac mini
    • Macmini6,x

Reactions: MiamiC70

MiamiC70

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
See this long thread

Macs officially compatible with macOS Catalina but have been dropped from official support in macOS Big Sur:
- These Macs so far are capable of running Big Sur properly, but WiFi is not yet fully stable

[...]

• 2012 Mac mini
    • Macmini6,x
Not a big deal I’m running a n external dongle to get 5GHz anyway.

Reactions: Nedstah and Boyd01

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For a 2012 Mini, you might as well stick with Catalina.
Actually, I've left my own 2012 Mini on 10.12 Low Sierra. It will keep that until it won't run any longer.

mnbn01

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
World
Short answer 2012 i7 Quad-Core, 16GB, 1tb SSD Mac Mini and Big Sur can it be done and will it work?
I don't care what "Apple" says i care about reality.
Currently running Catalina latest version flawlessly and if I can run Big Sur will keep if not I guess it's time to upgrade although honestly not much Apple has made in years is very compelling especially at their couture prices.

following this instruction manage to boot into Big Sur. but my wifi not working. I see there's kerts for that but yet to try.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
For a 2012 Mini, you might as well stick with Catalina.
Actually, I've left my own 2012 Mini on 10.12 Low Sierra. It will keep that until it won't run any longer.
I had a 2012 i7 Mini Server for 6 years and loved it for it fast execution and almost no lag responses - but the heat was the killer. Had to put it on a small netbook cooling fan to keep it from thermal limiting...

Just sold her for $475 (I paid $1500) from Apple originally...

Paid for most of the $679 M1 which I transferred all data and now runs super cold, snappy fast, and no more fan or heat!

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
The hacks to run Big Sur are still pretty new. I would stick with Catalina as it'll still get security updates for nearly 2 years. Over time the hacks will mature and it will become clearer how well it runs.

If Big Sur updates are only OTA figuring out how to safely install those updates will be a challenge.

Some would stick with Catalina till software they need to keep up to date is no longer supported on that and only then try the unsupported upgrade to Big Sur.

Reactions: fricotin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.