Sep 10, 2013
Florida

One Face ID issue in sunlight and fluorescent light

Edit. Sorry guys didn’t see the earlier Verge review

Last edited:

CeezNYC

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
The early reviews I have seen so far (excluding iJustine) don’t seem that impressed with the phone. They almost seem bored reviewing it. I’m not sure what to make of it.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The early reviews I have seen so far (excluding iJustine) don’t seem that impressed with the phone. They almost seem bored reviewing it. I’m not sure what to make of it.
The problem seems to be that the “New” here is mostly stuff that doesn’t actually make it better.

Consider the show format that every single one of those YouTubers followed. No Bezel. New Gesture Instructions., “FaceID Works Good Enough”. And then... Animoji. I’m sure they were all excited to be a chosen few but they seem to have been given forced talking points and none of them seemed allowed to ask the hard questions.

Nilay did a first impression and he brought up one of the biggest points that nobody else got a chance to mention. FaceID in direct sunlight. I didn’t even think about it but yeah, every other impresssion was in a controlled environment. Nilay simply went outside and found something that is really worth investigating for the full review.

So I’m interested in what the real reviewers are going to find out now that Apple gave them 24 hours to review it. (And seriously. 24hours? And Joanna Stern didn’t get a review unit?!? What is Apple up to...) :oops:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Nilay did a first impression and he brought up one of the biggest points that nobody else got a chance to mention. FaceID in direct sunlight. I didn’t even think about it but yeah, every other impresssion was in a controlled environment. Nilay simply went outside and found something that is really worth investigating for the full review.
There have been many reviews from people that have been using it as their daily driver and using Face ID in normal situations of life, inside and out. This is the first time I've heard of any issues in bright sunlight. Patel seems to like to be the odd man out. But it will be interesting to see what Apple says when he talks to them about his experience. It's always possible that he just got a bad unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.