List of iPhone X Reviews and First Impressions After Just 24 Hours

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has lifted its embargo for iPhone X reviews today after providing many media outlets with the device less than 24 hours ago.

MacRumors is combing through the first impressions published so far to find interesting tidbits about the iPhone X, and in the meantime, we've compiled a list of both text and video reviews of the device in one convenient place.

Videos

Reviews

o The Verge
o Gizmodo
o Engadget
o The Wall Street Journal
o Digital Trends
o Forbes
o The Washington Post
o Financial Post
o Business Insider
o Mashable
o CNBC
o TechCrunch
o iMore
o CNET
o Above Avalon
o The Independent
o BuzzFeed News
o The Loop
o The Telegraph
o SlashGear
o The Economic Times of India
o Tom's Guide

Article Link: List of iPhone X Reviews and First Impressions After Just 24 Hours

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017
A bunch of popular tech YouTubers also already have the iPhone X and have done unboxings, such as iJustine moments ago.

I wonder why Apple decided to let them all get one early this year as they usually have to wait until Friday like the rest of us.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
bright sun lighting will cause problems with the Face ID.... But we'l see how bad it will be.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
A bunch of popular tech YouTubers also already have the iPhone X and have done unboxings, such as iJustine moments ago.

I wonder why Apple decided to let them all get one early this year as they usually have to wait until Friday like the rest of us.
because the pre-orders didnt go as well as previous years, so they need to build a hype as fast as possible. And that is also why Apple sent out first units to people for whom they know they'll go on their knees or bend over to Apple and make a "its awesome!" review just for a chance to be among the first reviewers.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

That's not true. Go back to last year. The review embargo was lifted on a Tuesday, not a Friday.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I know what I'll be doing for my morning :D

So far it seems things are looking positive for the iPhone X.

Though the complaints about the notch is not surprising and I still think that's a mistake by Apple.

In the verge's review they talked about how the animoji is the major feature - kind of said imo. Its a cute little feature that some may enjoy but a major feature - I'm not so sure

Last edited by a moderator:

Jongalonia

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017

Apple has lifted its embargo for iPhone X reviews today after providing many media outlets with the device less than 24 hours ago.

MacRumors is combing through the first impressions published so far to find interesting tidbits about the iPhone X, and in the meantime, we've compiled a list of both text and video reviews of the device in one convenient place.

o The Verge
o Digital Trends
o Forbes
o The Washington Post
o Financial Post
o Business Insider
o Mashable
o CNBC
o TechCrunch
o iMore
o CNET
o The Independent
o BuzzFeed News
o The Loop
o The Telegraph
o SlashGear
o The Economic Times of India
o Tom's Guide

Article Link: Here's a List of iPhone X Reviews and First Impressions After Just 24 Hours

The Australian Financial Review have one too: http://www.afr.com/technology/iphone-x-preview-should-you-buy-one-oh-yes-you-should-20171031-gzbkf9

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
In the verge's review they talked about how the animoji is the major feature - kind of said imo. Its a cute little feature that some may enjoy but a major feature - I'm not so sure
Yeah....thats silly. Its just a software/app if you will, that uses the main feature- face id.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I went straight to iMore. I love how Rene is both excited, as well as critical of some aspects, and, is one of the most educated with regards to context of the current market. He has used Samsung, Google, and other phones, and knows the extensive history of iPhones.

Drives me nuts reading an editorial, and they leave out apple’s past failures, Rene is aware of them and doesn’t blow the little things out of perportion for click bait. Not really interested in the Verge, and some of the others, somewhat for what @maflynn pointed out.

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
because the pre-orders didnt go as well as previous years, so they need to build a hype as fast as possible. And that is also why Apple sent out first units to people for whom they know they'll go on their knees or bend over to Apple and make a "its awesome!" review just for a chance to be among the first reviewers.
Complete and total nonsense. Not to mention...they didn’t send iPhones to those people. They invited them to a preview event.

giggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
The Verge is being edgy and clickbaity about the iPhone X. See the “outdoor-gate” about FaceID that they’re the only ones mentioning.

And Animoji are just the tip of the iceberg of the underlying AR tech, which is amazing. Animation studios 20 years ago would have given an arm for this kind of facial animation at this price point.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Other than the distracting missing piece of the display on the front and the extruding camera housing on the back the white version actually looks nice and doesn't look cheap like iPhone 6/6S/7/8. As far as features, only the Animoji is semi-interesting while the others are too gimmicky or been-there-done-that. Apple would sell a lot more at $899 starting.

Last edited:

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
The Verge is being edgy and clickbaity about the iPhone X.
Absolutely. They gave the impression of being overly critical and then eventually called it the best iPhone ever anyway. Their attempts to trash Face ID in sunlight are a bit transparent and, as you said, clickbaity.

Reactions: BvizioN and deany

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Face ID is inconsistent. That's what I keep hearing. That's why I didn't pre-order this year and that's why I'll wait. Maybe until the Xs phone next year. Production problems with the parts that make up Face ID that resulted in production problems with the overall production of the phone. Not surprising that there are reviewers having problems with it. Hopefully they get it it perfected by next year, or succeed in putting fingerprint ID under the screen by then.