Hold

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
111
0
My laptop is on it's last legs and I want to replace it with a macbook air. Should I get it now or wait? I could hold out until July 2012. When is the next refresh due?
 

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
2,227
685
My laptop is on it's last legs and I want to replace it with a macbook air. Should I get it now or wait? I could hold out until July 2012. When is the next refresh due?

It is impossible to tell when the next models will come out but if you can wait until July 2012, I would definitely wait. For this generation of MacBook Airs (the ones with SSD that debuted in October 2009), there was a 9 month gap between the July 2010 model and the previous model.

You seem to be able to wait a full 12 months so one would assume there is a much higher chance of release within a 12 month window.
 

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
297
0
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do u want it now or are u wanting to wait till refresh then wen refresh comes u may aswell wait till next refresh ;-)
 

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
2,160
1,124
Montreal, Canada
Probably as soon as Intel releases their Ivy Bridge ULV processors (U-Series Core i5/i7).

Right now they are planned for a May 2012 release. You should have the choice between 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GHz CPUs with 3D transistors, up to 2x the graphics performance, dual external display support, possibly better battery life and maybe USB 3.0 support.

SSD prices will also have gone down by then and all models could have twice the current storage at the current price.
 
Last edited:

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
532
1
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do u want it now or are u wanting to wait till refresh then wen refresh comes u may aswell wait till next refresh ;-)

I don't expect perfect english in these fora, but come on. Make a slight effort.
 

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
408
17
Belfast
I think if you need/ want it now there is no reason to wait other than for speculated specs that probably won't effect your use heavily at all / be wait the 8 month wait for in the first place.
 

Danno21

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
108
5
If you have to ask, you probably don't need it as badly as you suggest.


^^^

Wait for the new model with Ivy Bridge. IB isn't a huge step up from Sandy Bridge for desktops, but it's a huge step up for notebooks/ultrabooks because of the GPU performance.
 

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
1,245
3
I for one do not want to wait but cannot afford it.

If you can afford it, sounds like you should be able to afford it again once new one come out(with little additional money and sale of current one)... so I say go for it now and enjoy the goodness now and enjoy it again when new one come out.. Why not???
 

halledise

macrumors 65816
option 1.
if you need it now or in the near future, then buy now.

by the sounds of it, the first half of 2012 should see new look MBPro's, thus I doubt there'll be a new Air released at the same time …

unless …

the new look MBPro's are sufficiently look-alike to the Air in which case expect Ivy Bridge Airs too.

that said, Apple may drop the 13" MBPro if favour of Airs and upscale the new-look MBPro's in the 15" and 17" screen sizes

it's all speculation and rumor anyway, so I'd go with option 1 ;)
 

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
708
416
Tokyo
A little analysis that I did.

I bought my first Mac - a Macbook Air 11" in February. It was the time I got a new job and I wanted to give myself a little reward on the spot.

I'm kind of a hardware freak and I can't stand to have last years model, so when the Sandy Bridge models came out, I bought a 13" Ultimate in early August.

I kept the 11" for a while as I loved the small form factor and preferred if for some situations like going to the cafe, but after a while I realized it was really silly having two Airs so the 11" had to go.

I just sold it, took a big hit on the price, but I figured that it cost me $50/month in depreciation to own the 11".

With this in mind, I'm perfectly happy to spend $50 a month and always enjoy the latest technology. That's why I've decided to upgrade every year, simply because the resale on Macs are so good. I had no trouble selling mine on eBay in one week.

So, no matter what I think you could buy one now and reasonable expect to sell yours and upgrade later if you felt the need to.

The key is to keep your machine in perfect condition. People love the beauty of these machines and a scratch or dent can take hundreds off of the value. I'd also avoid Apple Care as you won't recover the value and you are covered the first year anyway.
 

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
297
0
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

doktordoris said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do u want it now or are u wanting to wait till refresh then wen refresh comes u may aswell wait till next refresh ;-)

I don't expect perfect english in these fora, but come on. Make a slight effort.

My bad lol If you see my other posts you will see its a one off. Whats a fora? This question gets asked like every other day explaining the erratic reply apoligies to all for my terrible English
 

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
994
3
If you need a Mac now, get a 2010 MBA refurb and skip the 2011. The 2012 should run much cooler, have better graphics, and hopefully 10 hours battery life.
 

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
1,630
0
Liverpool, UK
My understanding, the Ivy bridge won't add too much processing power but if you are into graphics for whatever reason (most people's graphics needs centre around gaming) then I would wait because the ivy bridge processor will be a marked improvement on the current generation sandy bridge. But...having owned both the 2010 and 2011 incarnations, I would have to say neither leave a lot to be desired on processing power and I, for one, haven't noticed much of a difference in the 2011 not having a dedicated GPU. But then again, I am not a gamer. If you need a laptop buy it now. Besides, as others suggested, you can sell it in May and get most of your money back!! Good luck.
 

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
708
416
Tokyo
Its one of the beauty of owning a Mac. Even if you are one, or even two cycles behind, your machine is really not obsolete, nor do they look that much different from the current models.
 

57004

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
1,022
340
I'd wait if you absolutely need any of the following:

  • A 20% CPU increase
  • A 30% GPU increase
  • USB 3.0

Because those features are most likely for an Ivy Bridge Air.

However I don't think there will be anything that really needs the CPU or GPU increase that heavily. It's only one-fifth to one-third of an increase. It's hard to imagine any use case that would really not work one-fifth slower (and be worth waiting 6 months for).

However the USB 3.0 I can see to be a serious improvement. With the current USB 2.0 you're limited to 40MB/s off any external drive unless you spend a fortune on a Thunderbolt drive.

With USB 3.0 you can get an external drive for cheap and have nice and fast speeds off it. If you are going to rely on external storage a lot it might be worth the wait.

Mind you, it is by no means certain that the Ivy Bridge air will come in June, and that it will feature USB 3.0 or those speed increases. It's all speculation (but a fair guess considering the Ivy Bridge release date and specs).

Personally I'd go for a refurb now, and just resell it once the Ivy Bridge ones come out. The resale value on a refurb will probably be a bit better than on a new one.
 

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
5,576
5,053
Bedfordshire, UK
My laptop is on it's last legs and I want to replace it with a macbook air. Should I get it now or wait? I could hold out until July 2012. When is the next refresh due?

If it's on it's last legs then replace it now unless it's not on it's last legs.

If you really don't need it now, then wait. Only you can answer the question, not us.
 

Trav29

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2011
82
0
Why not wait until the refresh in 2024? The point is technology is always changing and advancing. You will never win when it comes to technology so if you want/need one now buy one now.
 

Beau10

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2008
864
274
Downtown San Diego
Another benefit is the battery life improvement. I've seen it speculated we'll see increases of at least an hour. Not huge and Haswell or converting to ARM will likely be more significant, but significant nonetheless.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.