Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Never happen. Thats like saying should theatres get rid of the different sizes for pop/popcorn and just have one size? They want you to buy the large, thats why its the best deal, they need the overpriced small there to convince you of that. However, if the large is too big/expensive then the small is always there so they don't loose your money.

But what you don't understand is that as it currently stands, there's no overlap whatsoever between the MacBook and MacBook Pro line.

They name is arbitrary.

You have:

A 13" laptop

A 15" laptop

A 17" laptop

Does it matter what they're called? They're basically one product line (Apple laptops) with different names (MacBook and MacBook Pro) for the sake of having different names.

Now, if there was a 15" MacBook Pro, some of you may be onto something... but there isn't ;)

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Ok, smarty pants, please tell me what exactly is the difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro lineups - other than the letters P-R-O stamped on the bezel - after this morning's updates?

Apple now has one line of laptops that they insist on calling two names (plus their "ultra-portable" Air)...

NJPitcher

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
I'm with you on this one, unspeaked - look at the notebooks now and tell me you see a distinction - they've amped up the macbooks so much, they're practically MBPs.

The only problem I see is what do they change the name to? You can't have a line of entirely Pro products (notebook wise), as the name loses all meaning then. If you change the name to macbook, it appears as though the Pros have been "downgraded." Apple needs an entirely new name - my vote? AppleBook. Or AppleMacBook. Or iAppleBook. Or the iMacBook

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, smarty pants, please tell me what exactly is the difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro lineups - other than the letters P-R-O stamped on the bezel - after this morning's updates?

Well, the MBP has faster processors, bigger hard drives, a bigger screen with higher native resolution, a Firewire 800 port and an ExpressCard/34 slot and 2 Graphics processors, which the MacBook doesn't. I personally wish they had replaced one USB port with another Firewire 800 port. I also don't care for the glossy screen or the black keys. I'll probably wait for the next generation before I upgrade.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think Apple could get way with only having 3 laptops in their line up.
A the bottom end you would have what is now the mid range MB
The middle would be the current 15' MBP
and at the top you'd have the 17"

Since you can already do BTO machine it seems like this can still cover everyone.

Currently it seems only slightly better graphics, larger display, and firewire that set them apart.

This idea would also cut down on store stock. 3 models to cover all laptops instead of the 6 models currently

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I think Apple could get way with only having 3 laptops in their line up.
A the bottom end you would have what is now the mid range MB
The middle would be the current 15' MBP
and at the top you'd have the 17"

Since you can already do BTO machine it seems like this can still cover everyone.

Currently it seems only slightly better graphics, larger display, and firewire that set them apart.

This idea would also cut down on store stock. 3 models to cover all laptops instead of the 6 models currently

I would love to see them just go with the MacPro model and offer ONE base configuration, and you BTO the rest...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Casting our minds back ten years or so ago, Apple's lineup consisted of a mishmash of names and numbers. Then along came Steve, and the product line was radically simplified into four quadrants: consumer, pro; desktop, laptop. This seemed important at the time, if only because the lineup was impossibly confusing before -- which translated into Apple being confused. Then came the Cube, which wasn't clearly "consumer" or "pro" -- and the grid was broken. Then came the mini, which was clearly "consumer" but was shoved into the grid along with the iMac. So much for simplicity.

The question now is whether these distinctions remain meaningful. The message from Apple seems to be that they aren't. I think it's not an issue, unless Apple decides to revive the Performa and Centris brands.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I hate to dig up this very old thread of mine (actually, I don't hate it much at all) but finally, after WWDC, I feel some vindication.

So long, pro/consumer distinction! Don't let the door hit you on your way out!!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I hate to dig up this very old thread of mine (actually, I don't hate it much at all) but finally, after WWDC, I feel some vindication.

... Not exactly. The still have the (agreeably artificial) distinction, they just moved the goal post of where it lies a bit.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Hrm the revival of a thread from 2007 to prove what point? I agree with the post above, it is there ... just well hidden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.