Should Apple bring Macbook 12 back? Poll

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radiologyman, Jul 31, 2019.

?

Should Apple bring Macbook 12 back?

1. Yes, bring back the ultraportable!

56 vote(s)
    90.3%
  2. No, keep the current lineup!

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. radiologyman macrumors 6502a

We know that Apple pays attention to forums and MacRumors is one of the most popular fan websites. So objective of this thread is to show Apple that there is still enough interest in this fanless ultraportable to bring it back when suitable processor is available, either ARM or Intel. After all, this was the lightest Macbook ever made. For those who need full MacOS next Mac in lineup is 38% heavier and has a fan.

2. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

IMO it's less about the processor. Because that probably would and still is available. And it certainly wasn't about due to lack of colors. Previously offering a range of 4 colors suggests to me that the MacBook was conceived to target the mainstream market - more than it eventually ended up doing so.

If and when they bring it back, it should first and foremost come at suitable price point and offering of ports.

Paying premium prices for a MacBook with just one single port(non-headphone, that is, and less than any other Mac) and the weakest processor is neither.

3. Alicia1 macrumors regular

Most definitely! I think it is crazy for them to remove the most portable mac ever!

4. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Even though I loved the MacBook 12, I voted no.

They should reintroduce it as a newer 12.5"-13" model (via reduced bezels), two USB-C TB ports, and the latest low power processors while keeping the fanless design.

5. CPx macrumors 6502a

They should bring it back as an ARM computer.

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I'd say yes BUT as a £850 model - something that you can afford. The £1250 UK price for the 256GB model was very hard to swallow and a hard sell to friends who'd love a Mac but it was now out of their league price wise.

However, the range does look better now with just two to choose from although the Air is £100 over priced in each spec. The MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (that I LOVE) looks the far nicer model in every way.

I love the Apple line up right now - iPhone XS, iPad Pro and MacBook Pro.

7. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I've long been a lover of small-screened laptops, going back many, many years. A 12" PowerBook G4 got me all through college and my first couple years of substitute teaching. After that, when I went into IT work, a 12" ThinkPad X201 was my constant companion. When I went back into teaching, an 11" Air saw me through the first four years of full-time teaching. And this past year, I've been experimenting with different laptops to use to replace the old Air, finally settling on the 12" MacBook. I'd tried using a 13" MacBook Pro, but as space on my desk is at a premium, I much prefer the smallest laptop I can get away with. Plus, the weight of the 12" is lovely in my bag.

I do wish they'd bring it back in some form; I was mildly disappointed to see it go away! I have a 2016 that I'm using for school this year, and a 2017 that I have for my own personal use.

8. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

More choice is always better (well, up to a point anyway) but I think they possibly want to push the iPad Pro into this territory - with iPad OS it becomes a lot more viable for the sort of browsing and office productivity the MB was best suited to.

9. Macalway macrumors 68030

Since it make no sense that it's no longer offered I have little faith in anything about it. I mean, WTF?

10. KPOM macrumors G5

The 10th-generation Ice Lake Y chips are now 9-12W vs. 5W. While they all come equipped with Thunderbolt 3, and include both dual-core and quad-core options, my guess is that Apple couldn’t use them in the MacBook’s thermal envelope. Given that the current MacBook Air uses a 7W Amber Lake Y chip, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they update it next year (or even later this year) with the 10-generation Ice Lake chips. Otherwise, the Air makes no sense to me. It is downright average size for a notebook (and not much lighter than the much better 13” Pro), and uses a 7W chip while Dell, HP, and others use 15W chips in similar designs.

It would be nice if Apple revived an 11.6” MacBook Air, perhaps slightly thicker than the 12” MacBook to accommodate the active cooling, but lighter than the 13” MacBook Air. The old 11.6” was 2.3 lbs.

11. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

... yes, and as a MacPad.

... with macOS installed it becomes a no-brainer.

12. Jen71dtc macrumors newbie

I am still holding onto my 2013 11-inch MBA. I was hoping to get one of the MacBooks, but I really wanted more storage than 512GB (a second port would have been nice too, but the storage was what held me back). It doesn't matter to me whether it's got a fan or not, but I would like to see something with a Retina display, two (or more) ports, preferably TB though just USB-C is okay, 1TB storage, and under 2.5 pounds.