Should apple buy palm

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by maflynn, Apr 12, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for the webos, not for the hardware, but rather to keep them out of HTC's hands. They have a ton of cash, why not buy out a competitor. Apple will have its hands full with android, why introduce another competitor. HTC does have a good track record for good hardware, couple that with the webos and that could mean trouble

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It might make sense just to keep all Palm assets out of competitor's hands. Probably not much there for Apple. I don't see Apple's competitors letting Apple have them. Apple won't pay a premium but Levano or Dell or HTC might.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Palm devices/WebOS has failed pretty miserably so far. If a large, faceless corporation like Dell buy it what will they actually bring to the party to change that?

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

For what, the iTunes sync feature or the touch screen gestures. Soorry but there is nothing worth buying from Palm unless you are trying to enter the market, say somebody like Dell :rolleyes:

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's my premise, but I see your point about HTC/Levano driving up the price in a bidding war to keep apple from buying them. I don't see Dell getting into the mix after they stated recently they're not really interested.

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

We're not even sure whether HTC will be allowed to continue selling phones in North America. ;)

7. GSV macrumors member

I think it's in Apple's best interest to let someone else buy Palm if the buyer can increase WebOS's presence. A diffuse marketplace will help Apple in the long run, I think.

8. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I don't see any reason for Apple to buy them. Apple already has a hit on their hands. If Palm OS hasn't put a dent in Apple sales, then why worry? We are talking about what, 1-3% of phone users here??

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What would apple have to gain by buying Palm.
    Palm is really only widely known in the US and Canada. It never had international name reconnection until the pre.
    It is all about what a company has to gain by getting them. HTC could easily gain a lot by buying Palm. Levon or what ever the name is could gain a lot by owning Palm.
    I do not see RIM going after Palm because they do not have much to gain buy buying them out. It would be very difficult for RIM to integrated in WebOS into its system and network. Plus RIM has no use for the Palm name.

I think it will come down to HTC and Levon.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Well maybe Levon wants to buy Plam after all.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If Palm couldn't make a success out of Palm's hardware and software, what makes you think HTC could? The only thing that Palm has that is of value to anyone is its patents, which could make any patent troll very happy (Palm itself can't start suing everybody because they are still in business, and anyone they could sue has plenty of patents to countersue).

Apple, Google, and everyone else are in the same boat here: They could either buy all the patents for lots of money and have a weapon against their competitors, or they could let a competitor buy these patents and become vulnerable, or they can let a patent troll buy these patents, which is even worse, or - cheapest solution - create a small fund and buy these patents between them, avoiding a bidding war and ensuring a peaceful life for everyone _and_ a weapon against any newcomers.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Palm had to make less than ideal business decisions because they were so cash strapped where as a company like HTC isn't in that position. It's not that Palm put out a bad product, they just didn't have the money to properly launch a brand new line of hardware and software while also dumping all of their legacy hardware and software.

Lethal

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Levon sells cartoon balloons in town. Not sure where Palm fits in with that business model.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

His family business thrives.

Just what Palm needs.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Levon wears his war wound like a crown
    He calls his child Jesus
    `Cause he likes the name
    And he sends him to the finest school in town

Levon, Levon likes his money
    He makes a lot they say