Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Buy a Mac when the game you want to play is released. Odds are your 2021 Mac will be obsolete by the time that happens.
Odds are that we’d all be fossils before any certain game comes to Mac.
Arguing about Mac gaming is like arguing Kirk vs Picard or Star Trek vs Star Wars.
Never watched Star Trek and less than 1/3 of Star Wars movies Are good.

Reactions: Hexley

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
And, you’ve bought a new MBP 14”, correct? Why?
Because I don’t game much anymore? So it wasn’t a factor in my purchase.

We are going to need you to turn in your Geek credentials....
I’m discussing video games on a niche platform on the internet, I own and use an iMac G3, I still talk on irc, and I play dnd. I’m comfortable in my geek credentials.

Edit: on the other hand I could just give my geek card back and stuff you nerds in lockers.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Because I don’t game much anymore? So it wasn’t a factor in my purchase.

I’m discussing video games on a niche platform on the internet, I own and use an iMac G3, I still talk on irc, and I play dnd. I’m comfortable in my geek credentials.

Edit: on the other hand I could just give my geek card back and stuff you nerds in lockers.

When you used to game, what sorts of titles did you enjoy the most?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
When you used to game, what sorts of titles did you enjoy the most?
In general:

Best game ever made: Deus Ex
Favorite game of mine: The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

If we’re talking recent history (which is like, last ten years):

I spent over 100 hours in these:
Team Fortress 2 (before it went to ****), Cities Skylines, Dwarf Fortress, Civ 5, Endless Space 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Factorio (but I’m too stupid to finish it), X-COM: UFO defense (also too stupid to finish), Quake.

Games I enjoy, but didn’t spend a lot of time in, worth revisiting:
Automation (car company tycoon game, still in beta), STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, DUSK, Bioshock, Jedi Knight II, Deus Ex, Psychonauts, System Shock 2, Half-Life Opposing Force, My Summer Car.

I’ve excluded console games because they’re not relevant to the argument and I’m on a phone so I’d be here all day.

Reactions: Irishman

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
The thing is, its not necessary to have every game on the Mac, but it would be nice if the highlights were there, like the top 5 games every year. Currently i don’t have a console because i don’t game enough for that, but it would be nice to be able to sample the very best games.

It would be good if Apple had some sort of program of encouragement for the top few games every year where they said, if you bring your game to the Mac we will guarantee so many sales. And then if they don’t make that number of sales in the first year after release they get a pay-out of some sort.

That way you would see more top titles on the Mac, like Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3, and it wouldn’t necessarily be that expensive.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
The thing is, its not necessary to have every game on the Mac, but it would be nice if the highlights were there, like the top 5 games every year. Currently i don’t have a console because i don’t game enough for that, but it would be nice to be able to sample the very best games.

It would be good if Apple had some sort of program of encouragement for the top few games every year where they said, if you bring your game to the Mac we will guarantee so many sales. And then if they don’t make that number of sales in the first year after release they get a pay-out of some sort.

That way you would see more top titles on the Mac, like Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3, and it wouldn’t necessarily be that expensive.
Yeah it would be nice to have, I think everyone agrees on that. But it makes no sense from any perspective to do so.

Reactions: ackmondual

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
In general:

Best game ever made: Deus Ex
Favorite game of mine: The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

If we’re talking recent history (which is like, last ten years):

I spent over 100 hours in these:
Team Fortress 2 (before it went to ****), Cities Skylines, Dwarf Fortress, Civ 5, Endless Space 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Factorio (but I’m too stupid to finish it), X-COM: UFO defense (also too stupid to finish), Quake.

Games I enjoy, but didn’t spend a lot of time in, worth revisiting:
Automation (car company tycoon game, still in beta), STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, DUSK, Bioshock, Jedi Knight II, Deus Ex, Psychonauts, System Shock 2, Half-Life Opposing Force, My Summer Car.

I’ve excluded console games because they’re not relevant to the argument and I’m on a phone so I’d be here all day.

Pschaww! You call yourself a gamer?!?!?

Here is my list just of Mac games:

Prodeus
Arena
Ziggurat
Half Life
Half Life 2
Counterstrike: Global Offensive
Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
Dusk
Metro: 2033
Metro: Last Light
Metro: Exodus
Borderlands
Borderlands 2
Borderlands TPS
Borderlands 3
Dead Island
Dying Light
Shadow Warrior
Deus Ex (99)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Turok
Ultimate Doom
Doom 2
Doom 3
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3 Arena
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite
Rage
Batman: Arkham City
Tomb Raider 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Obduction
Outlast
Episode One: Racer
Fortnite

If you want me to go on, I can talk about Windows games I've played via Bootcamp and streaming on Geforce Now.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Pschaww! You call yourself a gamer?!?!?
I do not.
Here is my list just of Mac games:

Prodeus
Arena
Ziggurat
Half Life
Half Life 2
Counterstrike: Global Offensive
Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
Dusk
Metro: 2033
Metro: Last Light
Metro: Exodus
Borderlands
Borderlands 2
Borderlands TPS
Borderlands 3
Dead Island
Dying Light
Shadow Warrior
Deus Ex (99)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Turok
Ultimate Doom
Doom 2
Doom 3
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3 Arena
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite
Rage
Batman: Arkham City
Tomb Raider 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Obduction
Outlast
Episode One: Racer
Fortnite

If you want me to go on, I can talk about Windows games I've played via Bootcamp and streaming on Geforce Now.
It’s fine, I think we’ve drifted off topic enough. If each of us were to list out all the games we’ve played then it’d probably take up several pages.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I do not.

It’s fine, I think we’ve drifted off topic enough. If each of us were to list out all the games we’ve played then it’d probably take up several pages.

Oh, I would much rather talk about the games we love to play, rather than argue about whether or not Mac gaming is doomed.

Right?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Oh, I would much rather talk about the games we love to play, rather than argue about whether or not Mac gaming is doomed.

Right?
Eh, I’ve talked about the games I like in other threads.

And for the record, I don’t believe Mac gaming is doomed, I believe it’s gonna be more of the same that we’ve always seen. Ports released much later, if at all with little optimizations.

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
I said it somewhere else and will repeat it here: Successful AAA gaming machines need to be affordable to an audience of a certain size. Apple computers are not and will continue to be. This is in my view the major impediment preventing macOS from being a widespread, supported and beloved gaming system.

Reactions: ackmondual

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Should Apple make a deal with Microsoft or Sony for simultaneous releases of major PC games on the Mac platform? Things like Call of Duty, Overwatch, Fallout, Starfield, Doom, Halo, if they were to get simultaneous PC and Mac releases it would help the Mac platform a lot since it is not seen as a gaming platform.

Apple gets billions from Google to be kept as the preferred search engine on iOS, don‘t you think they should use some of that money to fill in the Mac games market? If anything would help the Mac market share grow long term then I think that would be it.
It would be nice to get macOS ports at all, let alone day and date releases.

Shoot Sony is releasing MLB the show on the Switch!! clearly they could do a macOS version (along with iOS).

Reactions: JMacHack

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all games are written for INTEL architecture, DirectX, and AMD GPUs... at what point in your head does it remotely even makes any sense for someone to up and write a game for the 0.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% hardware that isn't?

Anything getting a port to the Switch supports ARM, and the major game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc) all support ARM.

That's not everything, but thats a lot. Most Blizzard titles are on ARM (but not the Mac.)

Anything on the PS5 or Switch also supports more than DirectX. DirectX isn't available on those platforms.

Reactions: Bodhitree

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
No, my point is how many Mac owners are interested in gaming? 10%, 20%, 30%? Should Apple spend billions if most Mac users are not interested. I owners have no idea at what the percentage is
This has always been a poor assumption based on no evidence. You actually have to have a robust library of games consumers don't think will get dropped in a year or two to even gather enough data to have an educated opinion on it.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
No, my point is how many Mac owners are interested in gaming? 10%, 20%, 30%? Should Apple spend billions if most Mac users are not interested. I owners have no idea at what the percentage is

Well amongst consumers there is pretty robust interest, I’m sure. But we don’t know how many Macs get sold into the professional market. Among graphic designers, illustrators, print shops, and so on there are a lot of Macs which spend more time in the office then anywhere else.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Anything getting a port to the Switch supports ARM, and the major game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc) all support ARM.

That's not everything, but thats a lot. Most Blizzard titles are on ARM (but not the Mac.)

Anything on the PS5 or Switch also supports more than DirectX. DirectX isn't available on those platforms.
Let's see, you mention consoles, not desktops... the people *crying* about the lack of Mac games are *crying* about desktop titles.

WoW is on ARM and on the Mac. It's in worse shape than the non-ARM version. All versions of WoW on the Mac currently suffer MAJOR graphics driver support. So in a nutshell, what developer in their right mind wants to invest time and money into a platform that even the parent company can't even be bothered to support?

ARM can be on any platform. That's not the issue here. The issue here is you have a world that say speaks only English and one company that decided to speak French only. Apple is an island with a deep moat dug all around it. If you want in their castle, you play by their rules. If not, hasta la vista, baby!

If you're into desktop gaming on a Mac, your world is about 10 times smaller, thanks to ARM and Apple's decision to use it's own GPU.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Apple has fought against streaming services like xCloud from Microsoft.

On iOS it competes with Apple Arcade and the revenue that Apple makes from games on the App Store, so it’s not unexpected that they would take a stance against game streaming.

On the Mac and the Apple TV streaming box it could be very beneficial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.