Should Apple move iOS software update into the App Store

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by harry20larry, Jul 5, 2014.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Was recently updating my mac when I remembered the times when you had to go through the seperate Software Update utility.

It seems strange that apple haven't moved the system update function into the App Store like it has on the mac. I see so many people with their phone not in the latest version because drilling down into settings>general>software update is not something that the common user does.

Something the common user does do is check into the App Store. This means that the iOS update would get far better screen time and would unify the uodating experience across both platofrms.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can see that making sense, I also wish they would not download the update to your device without your consent.

3. simsaladimbamba

But aren't those users annoyed of the red number 1 attached to the Settings app icon?

----------

Strange, I had to give my consent to download 7.1.2 to my iPhone using that iPhone.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The thing is my iPhone prompted me that 7.1.2 was ready to install. So a user will be aware there's an update but you may be right if it showed up in the App Store if they dismiss the original prompt

5. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

Sounds like a great idea! I know a lot of non tech savvy users just ignore the red notification on Settings because they don't know what to do.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I like it the way it is. I never have an issue with the badger because I install updates as soon as possible.

7. Zxxv Suspended

Badger? You got a badger with yours? Off to make a genius appointment and ask where my badger is. Will point them to your post :) :D

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Should Apple move iOS software update into the App Store

Yes I did.

9. Chabba macrumors regular

With a move like that, I'd like to see core apps separated, so they can be updated individually.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

That's a nice idea but I think that for some people, it might get lost with some other app updates; I know a lot of people with more than 40 updates and having a badge with 39 on the App Store icon and 1 on the Settings icon might be easier for them to know there's a software update available... Maybe moving the software update menu to the front like they did with passcode?

Off-topic: I think your avatar needs the red iTunes icon from Yosemite now :p

11. matty.p macrumors 6502

I would love to see them move more things out of iTunes and make that product leaner. Maybe I'm crazy but I wouldn't mind iSync returning and having the Mac App Store and iOS App Store merging into one app.

12. Egish macrumors member

Yeah I would love to see iTunes just be music and media related. I think the system functions like moving files should go in a file manager. Etc
    And the functions of adding or updating apps should go to the app store.
    When I think of iTunes I think of multimedia

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

If you download it right away you have to give consent. If you wait a long time, the update automatically downloads (but doesn't install) on the device.

14. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Yeah, it would totally make sense for me.

This. I can't believe I need to clean up 3 GB on my phone each time there is a Safari fix or something so meaningless for me.

15. cynics macrumors G4

It will eventually download just not install without your consent.

16. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

System updates don't have anything to do with apps, and people ignore the app store's badge all the time.

17. nc57 macrumors newbie

You can go into notification settings and turn off badges for the App Store.

18. simsaladimbamba

I was talking about the Settings app.

[​IMG]

19. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I rather want Apple treat each individual core app as app in App Store, so that Apple can update the app individually from App Store. I hate when Apple only update its core apps with iOS version update. This way, iPad 1 users would get the latest version of Safari rather stuck with Safari 5

20. simsaladimbamba

Maybe the latest version of Safari does not run on older iOS versions?

21. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

iBooks and podcasts

I've been concerned with iBooks and podcasts moving into the OS not being updated frequently enough. Podcasts is buggy enough to require more than iOS update frequency.

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No I like it in settings. And if it went to the apple store I won't be able to watch the gears spin around for an hour!

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That would be nice. It's something I would like to see for the Apple TV as well.

I suspect the reason why not is Windows users. They don't want to have to make an App Store app for windows separate from iTunes so that the flow is the same. If they were going to move iOS updates to the App Store it would make sense to move the iOS App Store as well.

A part of me wishes they would do it. iTunes is rather bloated and messy and it would be great if they broke it up a bit. Create one 'store' app for all branches and let iTunes just be a player. Create an app for syncing and backing up perhaps even one capable of importing to iPhoto without having to open that app. They created an "automatically add to iTunes" folder that holds things until the next time iTunes is opened, why not the same for iPhoto.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think that's a bad idea. Can you imagine updating to iOS8 accidentally when all you wanted to do was update your apps.

OSX is a poor comparison as iOS apps are updated far more frequently.

25. apple-tea macrumors member

That would be weird and new, but it actually would be kinda cool. I think they should.