Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
But comprehensive testing does go on before software release, doesn't it? Maybe customers deserve they do more ironing out of bugs before release?
Going back to at least Yosemite in 2014, Apple has included customers to be part of the comprehensive testing that goes on before OS releases.

So in addition to the internal testing that Apple does (plus all of the testing that the third-party developers do) literally tens (and more likely hundreds) of thousands of customers volunteer to beta test each macOS and iOS release...

I think what Apple need to do is slow down how much they're putting in each yearly OS update. Or go back to the earlier Steve Jobs days (Tiger-Mountain Lion), when there was a full two year gap between OS updates.

Reactions: arefbe

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Yes, I agree with you there totally, Aristobrat ...
Spot on..... and that answers Crono1081 reservations that I was asking the industry(not just Apple) to somehow do something impossible here ...... your proposal is the way forward on this (not a step back - there was common sense in the reason why they did things like that in Steve Job’s day)

..... this way would give the customers a much better user experience because it would take a helluvalot of pressure off the programmers rushed to produce poorly conceived/poorly tested software before Beta release.

....... take pressure off the App producers in house and Third Party,

....... the pressure off Genius personel and Helpline personel on the receiving end of so much angst and of course the necessity to have so many of them ..... just to cope with each disastrous premature release.

.... and it will of course also give software programmers time to design into the software easier ‘rollback’ options for when your TimeMachine fails to respond ...... and YOU want to continue to use your ‘favourite’ version release of your favourite App ..... which as customers WE should decide when we want to consign to the bin ..... not Apple or Microsoft, .... or the App producers for that matter.

Sort all this, then there won’t be any need for any litigation.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Wow, all the world’s problems solved in two posts. Done and done. Better let Tim know.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Wow, all the world’s problems solved in two posts. Done and done. Better let Tim know.
Wut!? You think Apple listens to it's customers? :D:D:D:D:D:D
Forced OTA updates are BS. Some android manufacturers do it as well, but some clever people on the android side have figured out how to downgrade and block OTA. I hate forced updates.:mad:

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015

I'll let you tell Tim, maybe your slight hint of sarcasm will get through to him ….. of course he won't take any notice of this …… but drop a small pebble in a pond ….. you never know what ripple it will make until you do it.

If it helps people in the long run …..

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I'll let you tell Tim, maybe your slight hint of sarcasm will get through to him ….. of course he won't take any notice of this …… but drop a small pebble in a pond ….. you never know what ripple it will make until you do it.

If it helps people in the long run …..
Let me use no sarcasm. I agree with Chronos, this is a lost cause. I won't waste any of my time with your suggestion. You can do what you want.

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
I always do.

Guess it will be the customers most affected by this that will decide whether this is a lost cause through litigation …. then that might make the industry focus on the sheer number of complaints and start to address the issues here …. Clearly they are failing to put customer interests first.

I hope the greedy computer industry get repeatedly 'hammered' in the courts over this ….. because their arrogance and 'bullying' behaviour is REALLY getting up people's noses.

Getting repeatedly **** on from a great height is not what we pay big bucks for …… politicians need to draft serious legislation to move these deaf incompetent managers …… I hope bumping into those glass walls and doors at Apple HQ knocks some sort of sense into the Apple upper level ….. but it's not just Apple that needs a major rethink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.