Should have bought my MBP from apple :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SubaruH6, Feb 28, 2008.

1. SubaruH6 macrumors newbie

I bought a mbp less than 14 days ago from a local retailer here in vancouver canada called macstation.

When i bought the mbp they told me that i should buy from them as they have better customer service than a big box retailer. Well i tried to return my mbp and guess what? even though it's within the 14 day return period they dont accept hardware returns....

Would i deal with macstation again? no
    Should have bought directly from apple...

2. amoda macrumors 6502a

Have you tried talking to Apple? See if you can do an exchange through them.

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

Whose 14 day return policy? Unless your receipt states that you can return the computer within 14 days (of whatever), then I'm afraid you're SOL. You should always makes sure you understand the return policy on anything you buy.

That said, I think the previous poster's advice is worth following up on.

4. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Does it say on the receipt that there is a 14 day return policy for hardware? If it does then you can argue. If not try going to apple to do an exchange. I doubt they will give you a refund but who knows. Maybe you can get it all on a gift card if you want. haha.

-JoE

5. SubaruH6 thread starter macrumors newbie

It does say on the receipt 14 days and in a seperate area no hardware returns..
    which upsets me is the clerk said that the store had superior customer service
    Sucks to find out that they don't..
    and by the time i had the receipt the transaction would have been complete and the product would have been unreturnable...

Never heard of a policy like this... Thanks for the suggestion to try apple customer service as i never thought of that angle. Might call the better business bureau and lodge a complaint

and the more people I talk to say that I should stay away from macstation as they sold me there own support package and that i should have bought apple care instead. ripped off twice

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That's too bad. There was a thread awhile ago about MacMall doing the same thing.

7. SubaruH6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Contacted Apple Canada and they said that they offer a 14 day return policy but that since i bought it through a apple authorized retailer i'm subject to the policies of that store.... And that store has effectively implemented a no return policy. Buyer beware

8. PenrynMBP macrumors member

I feel you man.. why did you want to return it anyways? If its not broken, go to plan B and sell it.

9. SubaruH6 thread starter macrumors newbie

The sales guy told me that I would work with my blackberry.

Didn’t mention that I would have to buy additional software for it to work properly. So I went in and asked for credit note or a refund as I felt that I was misled. Denied.

There solution was to spend additional money and buy a third part conduit. I have had past experience with third party conduits (active sync) and I think they tend to be garbage. So now I have to purchase vmware fusion or use bootcamp and a license for windows and office to get my blackberry to sync tasks properly. I rely heavily on tasks for my job so for me it's critical...

I disliked the attitude of the arrogant sales people there so I asked what my options are if i returned the entire laptop and was told basically to get lost as they don’t accept hardware returns... Not accepting hardware returns means ever sale is FINAL.

At the end of the day i like my new laptop, but i didnt factor in the cost of buying two microsoft licenses. Which is part of the reason why i switched to a mac.

Dealing with Macstation has been a very unpleasant experience. And I’m sure they frequent these forums. So Macstation I flip you the bird. And hopefully warn other consumers that if you buying a mac, it’s been my experience that you should probably deal directly with Apple.

10. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Have you looked at Missing Sync?

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_blackberry.php

They make synch software for just about everything. Granted, you have to buy it, but I have some friends who bought it on my recommendation (based on what they said they needed) and they have been very happy with it.

... and they're crackberry people....

MacDann

11. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I use Pocketmac for syncing my pearl to my mac, and find that it's adequate. This software is free through RIM, but you still need Windows to download software updates to the Blackberry.

12. SubaruH6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the solution that works for me is probably to run windows and have office installed in some sort of virtual environment. That way i can avoid both missingsync and pocketmac issues.

I'm surprised that entourage 2008 from what i've seen isnt fully complaint with exchange. and doesnt even support rpc over http! come on outlook 2003 had that. Again entourage doesnt support syncing with tasks? What the heck???

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

That is the BEST ADVICE anyone can give regarding the question "Where should I buy XXXXX"

Read return policies prior to buying. The 14day issue that people talk about typically deals with purchasing directly from the Apple Store. If you buy from there, it's a no brainer. Resellers are a different story.

Sorry for your issues, Hopefully Applecare can help.

14. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Wow!

That's terrible that they have that "no hardware return" restriction and are still allowed to be an authorized Apple retailer.

You would think that they would be at least bound by the Apple return policy and if they wanted to expand on that, to the customer's benefit, they could (at their own expense of course).

15. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

The missing sync is REALLY good software, don't knock it till you try it. It's very reliable, fast, and full of features. I love it.

16. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

This is deliberately done to "encourage" people to use Windows + Office.

17. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

so you're going to lodge a complaint with the BBB about a company that's technically going with a policy that's stated on their receipt?

huh?!?!?!?

18. SubaruH6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what i am going to do. And here is why..

1.) They dont have a sign stating that is the policy at the cash register where i purchased the laptop stating That all hardware sales are FINAL... In fact I believe they misled me by stating they have a 14 day return policy in the first place...

2.) The sales man informed me that they provide excellent customer service, in an attempt to make me feel comfortable with making the purchase, when they do not. Now i got there extended warranty rather than purchasing applecare on the advise of the salesperson. Another huge mistake as Macstation is a company that doesn't stand behind there product. Not only that but it's been next to impossible to have someone from there company call me regarding this instance

3.) Other people should be aware of the policy at this store. To prevent this from happening.

It upsets me that i was misled at the time of purchase.. anything to make a buck i guess, but as someone that purchases a lot of hardware and advises others i can assure you that macstation will never get my business based again. buyer beware i've learned my lesson and the sour taste that dealing with macstation left in my mouth lingers...

Edit addition:
    I bought the line that i was supporting a local business at the time, instead of buying directly from apple. This time that experience hasnt worked out... That sales guy took me for a ride. I wonder how may other people they take for a ride

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, I sorry but I can't completely agree with you although I do understand your frustration about the whole matter.

Your duty to yourself as a customer and a smart shopper is to ask questions especially when you are dealing with a small time operation such as macstation.The first thing I would have asked is what's the return policy? Can I exchange it or get a refund?
    Remember this is a "sales" environment even if it appears to be mom and pop and it's the salespersons job to coerce his customer into buying thier worthless extended warranty or buying the fact that they offer better service than the big guys.

Yeah, stores are not required to post signs by the register about sales being final however there should be something posted somewhere in the store in regards to the return policy.
    I don't know how much of a case you will have against them when you call BBB because you didn't ask questions about returns and the store furnished you a working, non-defect product. Anyways good luck to you.;)

20. darfel macrumors member

If you paid for the laptop with a credit card, you should contact card services customer support and see if you have any support from them.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use it for syncing my wife's Pearl with our iMac and it works great. It is worth the money in my opinion.

22. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

He has no leg to stand on. The receipt clearly states the no hardware return policy on it. It doesn't matter if it's not in the same place as the 14 day return.

"Superior customer service" is not definable.

You can't just run to the credit card companies and claim problems all the time. And credit card companies are mostly evil.

23. Mark16q macrumors newbie

Technically speaking, he hasn't seen the receipt until he's purchased it. was their policy posted elsewhere? I ran into this once with a clothing store...the policy wasn't posted but was on the back of the receipt. They refused a return until I mentioned this little catch 22 situation. They refunded my money.

I'd check with what local laws are about stating and posting return policies.

Mark

24. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Dude...good advice. I will take it to heart!

25. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

Good point. But i would imagine that the law would have to operate under assumption that no returns are allowed unless specifically stated. Therefore, unless it was posted or someone told him specifically that returns are allowed within 14 days AND not exclude hardware, he's sol.