Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
So today my second RMBP was delivered after the first one had a dead pixel that was very noticeable due to it being on the menu bar...

My replacement RMBP also has one dead pixel in the mid-top right hand side of the screen... It's not as noticeable due to that part of the screen usually having a color (as to me it's less noticeable in colour).

So my question is - should I keep it or wait for another replacement to arrive. This time I'm really annoyed as its almost been 2 weeks to get this new one and my current 2011 MBPs hard drive is failing so its operating very slowly. I've noticed that in the UK, Apple Support doesn't really give any free SuperDrives or a little discount for a waste of time...

So I'm kind of stuck on what to do... My head tells me to just live with it, but the heart says that I should get a perfect one for spending almost £3000!

What are your opininions?

TL;DR - replacement RMBP also has a dead pixel (as did first). Not as noticeable as first one but I still expect a perfect maching for nearly £3000! What are your openings on what I should do?

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think there have been enough of these threads...

but to indulge your question, I would ask you to think, 'will I be happy with this machine?' It's pretty obvious you're unhappy with your replacement, as you wouldn't have bothered to ask this question were you happy. So I would go back and make an exchange. You only have this power for the first two weeks, and I would make the best use of it.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
After posting this tread, I realised that I really wasn't happy and over time the issue would just bug me, so I phoned Apple...

Said that I was wanting another replacement and was then transferred to a member of the after sales team. They have set up a replacement which will work just as it did before - TNT will call in 1-3 days, picked up the next day and Apple will receive it the day after.

The guy also said the same as before which is that it would be sent priority in 1-3 days (but due to the Retinas being so popular there may be an extra two days) and he believes that I will receive it late to mid next week.

After complaining for a while and asking if I could get some form of compensation, he said that I could either get a credit refund (of an undisclosed amount - anybody know what it is?) or an item from the store with a value of up to £80...

I got an email directly from him, so I can keep in contact and to request my refund/free item when my second replacement arrives...

Sorry for another long post guys...

TL;DR - just asked Apple for another replacement. Compensation is either a credit refund of an uncertain amount or an item from the store up to £80.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
I think there have been enough of these threads...

but to indulge your question, I would ask you to think, 'will I be happy with this machine?' It's pretty obvious you're unhappy with your replacement, as you wouldn't have bothered to ask this question were you happy. So I would go back and make an exchange. You only have this power for the first two weeks, and I would make the best use of it.

Sorry... I do know that there are many threads like this (and they annoy me too). But, I was so p'd off that I wanted to moan somewhere! :)

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK

Well, I'm sure that if you spent the equivalent of $4300 on a product that was faulty and then the replacement was also faulty you'd be pretty annoyed too?

I spent so many hours transferring things to the first one before realising that dead pixel issue - so I was pretty annoyed.

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
Well, I'm sure that if you spent the equivalent of $4300 on a product that was faulty and then the replacement was also faulty you'd be pretty annoyed too?

I spent so many hours transferring things to the first one before realising that dead pixel issue - so I was pretty annoyed.

Sure I'd be annoyed. But I'd also not feel entitled to some sort of payment for something that happens with almost every product. It's luck of the draw if you get a defective one. It's not like they're not willing to replace it ASAP. Or you're out gas money or anything.

How long does it take to transfer something? You clone your machine and restore. Set it off and grab a sandwich. Is it really that hard?

You asking for compensation is lame as hell. Apple is taking care of you by shipping you a new item right away. Not even inspecting your old one first. Yet, you feel entitled to some sort of compensation? Repeat: lame.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Apple UK have atrocious customer service. Whereas when dealing with the US Apple people a surly one is the exception, in the UK, a friendly, personable one is very rare.

I'm glad you asked for compensation too. I was given a £20 iTunes gift card for having returned a few faulty MBPs but I had to ask for it, they don't offer anything. (also it had to be approved by a manager but he was American so that wasn't a problem)

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Sure I'd be annoyed. But I'd also not feel entitled to some sort of payment for something that happens with almost every product. It's luck of the draw if you get a defective one. It's not like they're not willing to replace it ASAP. Or you're out gas money or anything.

How long does it take to transfer something? You clone your machine and restore. Set it off and grab a sandwich. Is it really that hard?

You asking for compensation is lame as hell. Apple is taking care of you by shipping you a new item right away. Not even inspecting your old one first. Yet, you feel entitled to some sort of compensation? Repeat: lame.

Yeah, sure it's not hard to copy the hard drive over, but it is TIME that is the problem. It may only take 7-8 hrs to copy the drive, but it has been almost FIVE WEEKS of waiting and disappointment, only for me to wait ANOTHER WEEK for another unit that may or may not have the same issue.

In my experience, I have often received some sort of compensation due to bad service so maybe I have just become accustomed to getting something out of a very bad experience.

Also - you may want to repeat the word 'lame' some more in a whole thread devoted to getting compensation from Apple - some with people who have received a RMBP with no issues. You can find it HERE... I'm sure that you'll have fun! :)

----------

Apple UK have atrocious customer service. Whereas when dealing with the US Apple people a surly one is the exception, in the UK, a friendly, personable one is very rare.

I'm glad you asked for compensation too. I was given a £20 iTunes gift card for having returned a few faulty MBPs but I had to ask for it, they don't offer anything. (also it had to be approved by a manager but he was American so that wasn't a problem)

Thanks... It's nice to read a more positive comment compared to some others! The person I spoke to was American too!

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
Yeah, sure it's not hard to copy the hard drive over, but it is TIME that is the problem. It may only take 7-8 hrs to copy the drive, but it has been almost FIVE WEEKS of waiting and disappointment, only for me to wait ANOTHER WEEK for another unit that may or may not have the same issue.

In my experience, I have often received some sort of compensation due to bad service so maybe I have just become accustomed to getting something out of a very bad experience.

Also - you may want to repeat the word 'lame' some more in a whole thread devoted to getting compensation from Apple - some with people who have received a RMBP with no issues. You can find it HERE... I'm sure that you'll have fun! :)

How is it bad customer service? Did they give you the runaround? Did they make you jump through hoops to get a new rmbp? Did they try to tell you that a dead pixel was just fine? Other than taking care of your problem as soon as possible, I'm not sure what else could be expected of their "bad customer service." Did you want them to hand deliver you a new one right away with an apology note from Cook? :rolleyes:

It's good to know that entitlement is alive and well across the pond too.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
So today my second RMBP was delivered after the first one had a dead pixel that was very noticeable due to it being on the menu bar...

If I were you I would send it back. You work hard for your money and Apple charges a premium for their stuff so I expect a premium product.

That is just me. Some people could care less about a a dead pixel but it would bother me.

In the end, you are in control so what does your heart say?

-P

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Have quite the update for you guys today...

Have been on the phone all day!

Phoned Apple last night as said and was then was so annoyed that I used Tim Cook's public email address to express how dissaponted I was in having the issue twice in a row. Then got woken up at 9:15 after a woman was on the phone to speak on behalf of him to get the problem sorted.

Had to then speak with a senior technical expert at about half one and then the woman phoned back just after 3 to get everything sorted. Was basically told that since one dead pixel is in Apples threshold for quality, the next replacement will be the final one - unless it comes with a smashed screen or something. Also still get the compensation of around £80 and the woman is seeing if she can try and get the replacement to get delivered even faster than priority and is going to phone again tomorrow to update me on the delivery times.*

nataliamck

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
Have quite the update for you guys today...

Have been on the phone all day!

Phoned Apple last night as said and was then was so annoyed that I used Tim Cook's public email address to express how dissaponted I was in having the issue twice in a row. Then got woken up at 9:15 after a woman was on the phone to speak on behalf of him to get the problem sorted.

Had to then speak with a senior technical expert at about half one and then the woman phoned back just after 3 to get everything sorted. Was basically told that since one dead pixel is in Apples threshold for quality, the next replacement will be the final one - unless it comes with a smashed screen or something. Also still get the compensation of around £80 and the woman is seeing if she can try and get the replacement to get delivered even faster than priority and is going to phone again tomorrow to update me on the delivery times.*

Glad you're getting this sorted. And glad that you asked for some sort of compensation.

It must really suck to keep opening an expensive product just to find a fault. You are paying a lot of money; 1 fault is too many for that amount of money.

People might say asking for compensation is "lame" but unlike in the US, we don't get free stuff thrown at us to shut us up in the UK. So why not ask? It's the same company who are giving away hundreds of Superdrives to customers in the US just because they have to wait the same amount of time for delivery as we do in the UK.

Enjoy your machine :p

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
Glad you're getting this sorted. And glad that you asked for some sort of compensation.

It must really suck to keep opening an expensive product just to find a fault. You are paying a lot of money; 1 fault is too many for that amount of money.

People might say asking for compensation is "lame" but unlike in the US, we don't get free stuff thrown at us to shut us up in the UK. So why not ask? It's the same company who are giving away hundreds of Superdrives to customers in the US just because they have to wait the same amount of time for delivery as we do in the UK.

Enjoy your machine :p

I agree. And apple replacing it is the proper thing to do. And they should do it no questions asked.

Begging for extra compensation is unnecessary.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
I agree. And apple replacing it is the proper thing to do. And they should do it no questions asked.

Begging for extra compensation is unnecessary.

Is hardly say that I 'begged'... I simply asked, not pleaded as if my life depended on it!

deerfaced

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
What's frightening is that it took an email to tim cook (albeit someone underneath him responding) to get a replacement sorted - and you've been told it's your final one!

So, if no.3 comes with light bleed, a yellow screen, or more ghosting do you just have to put up with it?

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
I just got my MBP back after having taken it in to have the backlight repaired at the Apple Store and now it doesn't work at all -_-

So tomorrow it's being sent off for another how ever many days. The Brit I spoke to said I was hardly being inconvenienced so didn't offer anything.

If something else goes wrong, tho, I will kick up a stink and hopefully get some recognition of my inconvenience.

So consider yourself lucky, and I'm kind of envious :p

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
What's frightening is that it took an email to tim cook (albeit someone underneath him responding) to get a replacement sorted - and you've been told it's your final one!

So, if no.3 comes with light bleed, a yellow screen, or more ghosting do you just have to put up with it?

Well I don't know... She said that it was my final replacement because one dead pixel was in the threshold of good quality. But if the next one arrives with a fault that is outwith the threshold for its quality I can get another replacement or that part of it fixed - obviously depending on what it is!

----------

I just got my MBP back after having taken it in to have the backlight repaired at the Apple Store and now it doesn't work at all -_-

So tomorrow it's being sent off for another how ever many days. The Brit I spoke to said I was hardly being inconvenienced so didn't offer anything.

If something else goes wrong, tho, I will kick up a stink and hopefully get some recognition of my inconvenience.

So consider yourself lucky, and I'm kind of envious :p

Well hopefully they repair it quickly and it works perfectly this time! Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.