Should I backup using iTunes or setup iPhone X as new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Nov 3, 2017.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all. My X comes today, SO EXCITED, and I’m wondering whether I should use iTunes to restore from a backup from my 7 Plus, or just setup as new. Is there really a speed issue when restoring from a backup or no? Would an iCloud backup make any difference if speed is an actual factor?

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Personal preference. I always set-up "as new".

3. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I have been restoring from iCloud backups ever since they come out with it. It’s so easy and convenient. I see no reason to set up as new, and have to redo everything, individually get all of your apps back, lose app data, text messages, everything... I like to keep it all.

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Agree with this, thats the point of Apple having backups anyway, so that you can restore from them.

5. kevmclane macrumors regular

kevmclane

I like to start new because throwing all of your backup onto the phone can really slow it down quick. I also like to start fresh to get rid of a lot of apps I don’t use anymore.

6. Mackneezie macrumors regular

Mackneezie

I've been thinking about setting mine up as new, I've had a few issues with my 7 and I want a fresh start to see if that helps. (Issues with hotspot not working consistently and airpods disconnecting)

I've always restored from iCloud backup, I like to keep my text messages haha. This time I think I'll start new.

7. ancpratt macrumors member

Agreed DDustiNN. If you want your X to have all of your old phone settings messages etc, do a backup of the old phone then do a restore from that backup to the X. Then, the X will download all apps that you had on the old phone automatically too.

8. yang88she macrumors regular

I always restore mine from a back up, will do it with the X when I pick it up this afternoon.

9. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I am pretty sure I am going to back it up and hold it in case I want it, but I am planning on going fresh. All the info I really want to carry over will be in the cloud and pull down regardless. I like a new phone actually feeling new.

10. malevolant macrumors 6502

I always restore from a backup. The day before I get a new phone I purge old, unused apps, old texts, crappy pictures, etc, backup, and then restore.

11. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

I would set up as new, old corrupt apps and files can drain the battery

12. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Always seems to be a split opinion on this. I really don’t want to go through the setup process and lose all the stuff but I can see why maybe it would be better. :/

13. iphnhelp macrumors regular

I just don’t want to lose all Heath data from Apple Watch. Or text message history. If they were on iCloud I’d start fresh

14. rotlex macrumors 6502a

This.

Being doing it for years this way and never have an issue. What I usually do first though, when getting a new phone, is have a look at my existing one and delete any apps or junk I haven't touched in ages. Then do a full backup to iTunes, and restore to the new phone.

Now, if I just wouldn't have waited 24 hours before pre ordering the X, LOL. (Current delivery est. for me is first week of December).

15. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

How do you get contacts, photos, and notes back if you set up as new?

16. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

if you have icloud you just log in and everything comes back.... if you dont have your phots on icloud then you need to have them on a computer and re-sync them with your phone using itunes... Otherwise you lose all of your pictures. you can also use other services like google photos.

but your contacts, notes and the other small stuff should be in the cloud if you selected that option even if you are on the 5gb free plan

17. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Okay, so I can start a new and login to iCloud afterwards and get all my stuff back? That’s nice

18. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

well make sure you are logged in to icloud on your old phone and go in to settings > icloud > restore and backup.... make sure all of your stuff is checked on to be backed up... Then run a "backup now" just to be on the safe side.

after that then yes just log in to your icloud in your new phone and everything should restore... make sure you select icloud as your source in contacts and notes.

19. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Thanks!

20. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

21. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

is there a way to set up as new and just upload all your photos onto the new device? apologies in advance for the stupid question

22. predation macrumors 65816

23. iKimm macrumors regular

A couple of times I have set up as new and a few times restored from a backup. I would like to start fresh but you don’t realize how many apps you actually use until you Have to keep downloading them :eek::eek::eek: not sure what I am going to do yet o_O

24. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I realzied that if I setup as new I’ll lose all Health data and have to setup my Watch as new too. No way! Too much of a pain. That’s why they have backups. I think as long as you aren’t having a problem with the iPhone, resorting from a backup is fine.

25. ozshadow macrumors regular

I like to setup as a restore using my computer/iTunes. Also, I do this as the Encrypted version so it keeps all my passwords, etc.

Early on I tried to do this via iCloud and it slowed considerably.