Should I be carrying a weapon?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mentaluproar, Jul 8, 2012.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I live in a bad area and have had a few friends get mugged. One in a grocery store bathroom just today by 3 men, and another in columbus a few weeks prior. Guns make me incredibly uncomfortable, and my fight or flight response is geared toward "freeze" anyway. Mace is cheap and easy, but I'd probably end up playing with it, and with a taser, well, I would definitely play with that.

Am I being paranoid or should I arm myself somehow?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Paranoid. The odds of you successfully defending yourself with a weapon against a group of people are slim. Just give them the $50 in your wallet and be done with it.

3. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I almost never carry a wallet. They didn't even get anything off my friend in the grocery store. He still has his wallet and phone, although screwed up teeth, a torn cornea, and black eye.

He has a job interview tomorrow. Poor guy.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Never carry a weapon unless you actually know how to use it effectively. If not, chances are they will simply take it from you and use it on you.

5. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

The boss says it. OP needs to watch more of The Wire

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Correct, you don't want to 'accidentally' shoot someone or something.
    I guess you can start off with peper spray. You probably wouldn't want to play with that anyhow...

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

The pepper spray/mace idea is probably best. If you think you want to play with it, just google Pepper Spray or Mace, and go to Images or YouTube. You won't want to play with that.

8. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I was actually googling it and I came across this.

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

That's one thing I don't want aimed at my head/nose/face on a regular basis. :eek:

10. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Agreed. On the other hand, when the guy demands your phone, he wouldn't see it coming.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He also wouldn't see a gun coming and it would be much more effective.

----------

This is what enables muggers to continue.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Carrying a weapon gives you a false sense of security. You'll have to not only know how to use it, but be prepared to use it. Plus in many states you are restricted in how you use the weapon, that is if you have a gun, you cannot use it unless you are in mortal danger without an escape route.

My recommendation is get some self defense training and take it from thre.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If possible I'd look into moving away from such an awful sounding place.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you're considering mace or a taser as toys, definitely DON'T get a gun.

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Depends on state. Here in FL for example you don't have to retreat.

My recommendation is exercise your constitutional rights, but that's just a first step. Training, training, training, and more training.

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Miles has it right.

I used to work (as a civilian) in areas of the world that make the worst areas the US has to offer look like Disneyland. (The Congo, Darfur, Haiti, Cambodia, Burma, Nairobi (back when it was known as Nairobbery), etc) One of the tricks of the trade is to carry easily accesible cash for when you get robbed.

The single most effective thing for you to do to safeguard your own personal security is to start carrying money in money clip that you can just give away.

I say this as a former US Army Infantry officer who knows his weapons and a lifelong martial artist who knows how to scrap. Almost without exclusions, your best choice is to de-escalate a situation than to come up with a half assed armed response.

17. buddgeez macrumors member

Whoever is telling you not to carry a weapon meeds help. Obviously u live in a crime ridden area so i'd say carry a pocket knife or a box cutter, maybe a tazer if you know how to use it correctly and yes some mace/pepper spray would help if u know how to use it right. Protect yourself at all times. I'll pray for you as well 

18. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

In fairness, only one of those two was mugged up here in Akron. The other was in Columbus. Although my old roommates who are only a mile away had their house broken into last year, and someone was shooting houses last week for fun and is bullet hit my old room. It's kinda freaky.

19. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Signal-11 is 100% correct. Life is not a movie. Without years of intensive training there is a higher chance of your weapon being taken and used against you. Even with proper training there is always a chance things will not work out as intended.The money clip is a fantastic idea. If that doesn't work, Pepper spray and a good track coach. RUN LIKE HELL and save your life. There is no shame in that. I to have trained martial arts for most of my life. Getting hit hurts no matter who you are. Remember when in trouble, people respond to "FIRE!" quicker than "HELP!".

20. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Holy crap I now completely understand why I find myself coming here less and less.

Should you own and carry a firearm? That’s a question you really can only answer yourself. Are you prepared to invest both time and money into a gun that fits you best? Training to not only obtain a CCW, but learn when and how to deploy it? Are you prepared to spend time and money on ammo to practice and train?

And most importantly, as you prepared to take a life to protect yourself or your family? The only reason to deploy your weapon in public is if you plan to pull the trigger.

Owning and carrying a firearm doesn't make you safer. As someone pointed out it’s always best to try and avoid a confrontation if you can. That said if I'm put in harms way by an armed attacker you can rest assured Ill be the last person this guy sees.

Those who claim it will be taken away from you and used against you have 0 facts to back that up. Does it happen, yes, however it’s extremely rare.

It took me almost a year to finally start carrying in a state where realistically I could have had it in less than 30 days. I attended training classes; practice with live fire at least once a week, and countless times with dummy rounds at home. I went through several guns and holsters till I found what was best for me. I pray I never have to use it, but should the moment come I will not hesitate.

FBI statistics for a shooting, 3 shots, 3 seconds, 3 yards; I don’t know about you but I can’t even dial 911 in 3 seconds.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you opt not to buy pepper spray or a taser because like a child, you cannot control yourself and you'll play with it, then what says you won't f around with a gun? I think you're a bit young to be carrying around a weapon and if you're not actually young your're emotionally ill-equipped to be taking on such responsibility.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

bingo. Really chances are the weapon would do nothing. It more than likely would increase your chances of getting hurt or worse killed.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why use 14 words, when 61 will do? :p

24. Flood123, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Personally I was speaking about a Knife or something of that nature. I should have been more specific. Mostly because a CCW permit is difficult to obtain a firearm did not enter into the equation for me. At least where I live. I personally do not recommend carrying a firearm with out the proper permits. That's just me. I own firearms, but do not have a CCW permit so they are strictly for home defense(and yes I have spent A LOT of time around them and respect them immensely).

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yeah I don't know about the whole "taken and used against you" thing. Hell, even if you're untrained, what's the likelihood the criminal is somehow "trained"? Fights are unpredictable, and quick.

I carry a 9mm with me, especially if I ever have to go to bad areas, and I usually carry a serrated pocket knife. I would definitely run or de-escalate or anything like that first if I didn't have my sidearm, but I will not be backed into a corner or assaulted without putting up a fight. I don't care. If you're going to try and kick my ass, I will hurt you and kill you if I can.