Should I be closing apps that are backgrounded?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have an iPhone 4.

What are the advantages to closing all the apps running in background?

I thought Steve said battery life won't be affected.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I basically just close the big apps out, like games. It helps with the speed of the phone IMO.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You will get SO many answer that in the end you will STILL no know the answer!:p

I generally shut down the browser after use, and that is it.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Multitasking on the iPhone was designed so that you wouldn't have to worry about closing any apps in the bar.

Sometimes you'll find that closing some might help with the performance though.

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I once put my phone down, came back about an hour later, and my battery dropped 30% (Happens not too often)

But sometimes apps continue loading or doing whatever in the background and it just kills your battery. Most of the time I just always leave them running.

6. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

When this happens, do you notice that the little compass arrow is in your status bar? If that's the case, there is the source of your battery drain.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Very few apps are actually running in the background. Most are just shown because they were kept frozen in memory after you left them, in order to restart quicker the next time you choose one.

Unfortunately, Apple decided people couldn't handle knowing which ones were actually running. So they show all of them, whether running or just frozen.

Steve is a salesman, not a programmer. To him, it's all magical :)

However, he can't magically change the fact that if something actually is running, it's using battery. But you most likely asked for that to happen, such as choosing an app that follows your location.

The upshot is, with a few exceptions (such as forgetting about a location based app, or it has a bug and keeps going), you're okay just leaving them alone.

The only time to get involved is if you have an unusually fast discharge rate. Then you have to figure out what's causing it.

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Nope, I never had the GPS tracking indicator on. Actually, I think it was from Tapatalk. Because I remember using it last and it was kinda slow so I just closed it. Perhaps it kept trying to load in the background and it just drained my battery for that hour.

Because when I checked the multitasking bar, it was the only app that I could see causing this.

9. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Except for specific apps like music players, navigation and the other specific background usable apis, that is 100% not true.

You don't need to close those apps down. They are not running in the background in any way shape or form.

For all intents and purposes they are CLOSED Down when you exit out of them. Closing them in the Fast Switcher list will not make them any more closed down.

10. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Actually it is true... It happened to me. I know exactly what I'm talking about, and apps CAN cause this. If you leave an app loading in the background and close it, it will continue to load. If it needs data and you're in a weak area, it will search harder for a connection and drain more of your battery.

Why the hell would I make this up? Do some research, because it is possible. You don't know everything, so don't get full of yourself.

11. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I kill any apps that are battery intensive like games. Only leave open Safari, facebook, messages, etc.