Should I be upset at Apple over my 2011 MBP purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stayathomedad, Mar 9, 2011.

1. stayathomedad macrumors newbie

Sunday night I placed an online order with Apple for a 15" MBP.

The default settings had a ship time of 24 hours. I selected the antiglare hi-res screen that pushed the ship time to 1-3 business days. At checkout, I selected to pay $18 extra for "2-3 day shipping".

My order has been processed and is now in transit via FedEx (3rd business day). The problem is it won't arrive until next Monday. How is this acceptable? Did I throw away $18 on a fake expedited shipping?

I called Apple and the rep was really nice but gave me the expected response. I never mentioned the exact "2-3 day shipping" phrase, rather just that I selected to pay extra to have my order expedited. Long story short, he sent me some email containing a coupon for $15 off an order of $100 or more, $30 off an order of $200 or more, or $45 off an order of $300 or more at the apple store (no itunes) valid until the 26th of this month. How is this acceptable?

Am I blowing this out of proportion?

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

when it said 3bus. days on shipping I thought that meant how long it would be before I had it, turns out I read it wrong, that's actually how long it takes them to build it and **** it from the factory in China, from then it can take 7-9 business days to get to me (in Australia) I got lucky and it arrived at my door on the 7th bus day, but the moron delivery guy didn't think "hmm there is no door bell here and the house is set back a long way, maybe I should check for a side gate" so I had to drive all the way out to the Airport to pick it up myself

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

it takes 1-3 days to prepare order then the 2-3 days for shipping is on top of that so an order placed sunday shipped 3 days after placed and will be delivered by monday the 6th and final day it is possible to be delivered fedex does not deliver on saturday.

so how is apple wrong here they met the quota windows on time.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

The "ships within 1-3 days" is standard. It's the time it takes them to put together the machine and actually send it out. The extra $18 you paid for is faster shipping. So it's 2-3 days added onto the 1-3 days. Nothing wrong with the times here.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

just a bit ... all will be forgiven when you get it

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

How is this confusing?

They have to build and ship it.

Then it is in transit for some period of time and it's in your hands.

You paid to expedite the transit. The fact that you got something out of this is a bit over the top.

7. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Give him a break, he was just excited for his new baby :(

8. stayathomedad thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I should clarify.

I purchased the system online Sunday night. Monday is day 1, Tuesday is day 2, and Wednesday is day 3. It was shipped on day 3 (the 9th) from Shanghai and is currently is in the hands of FedEx.

I have no issues to this point.

Here's the problem - I paid extra for 2-3 day shipping, yet the package won't be delivered until day 5. So what exactly did I pay extra for? In the hands of FedEx on the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and then delivered on the 14th. How is that 2-3 day shipping?

9. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

2-3 business day shipping is what you paid for, and its 1-3 business days to build the computer.

You ordered on Sunday night, so technically, the order was started on that Monday. Therefore, they could have it to you even 1 day later, and it would be within the specifications they set for you.

10. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

It's 2-3 business days, it's unfortunate that it will be in Fedex's hands during the weekend. But it might be in your hands on Friday also...

And $45 off $300 :) ... that's not a bad coupon at all ....

11. stayathomedad thread starter macrumors newbie

Why are you under the assumption the additional price I paid for 2-3 day shipping is actually 2-3 business day shipping?

http://i.imgur.com/qPbVC.jpg

This is not at issue.

12. stayathomedad thread starter macrumors newbie

Why are you under the assumption the additional price I paid for 2-3 day shipping is actually 2-3 business day shipping?

http://i.imgur.com/qPbVC.jpg

13. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Because the only shipping option that ships on weekends is overnight, and only with a few select carriers, and it is MUCH more expensive :)

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

I buy almost everything via the web, and I've been doing so for years. I've yet to come across a vendor that does what you were expecting.

15. stayathomedad thread starter macrumors newbie

what was I expecting???

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

That you were going to get anything other than "business day" shipping. I could copy and paste some of your quotes if you'd like.

If I hop on some random PC parts website and place an order at 10:00AM Friday and choose overnight shipping, I'll be lucky to see it on Monday.

17. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

It always means business days when it comes to shipping...
    If it does Saturday delivery, it will specifically say so.

18. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

HAve you never ordered anything before? Fedex does not deliver on weekends so right there you cant count weekends. go to their website it clearly states their shipping days. yes your ordered it sunday night wednesday was day 3 and it shipped that day so it met that window. then the 2-3 day shipping is how long it ships for so 2-3 days after it ships.

so you package could have come as early as the 3rd business day or as late as the 6th business day.

Idk why you are so confused by this but the problem is you misunderstood the time frames and that the expedited shipping does not speed up build process.

19. iZero, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

iZero macrumors regular

Nothing wrong with your times... It could take up to 6 business days, building, shipping combined, with the option you selected. Sunday is when you ordered, so your order wasn't even processed until Monday. Which makes Tuesday morning "the end of day 1" on the build of it. So if it shipped by today (Thursday, which would be business day 3 for the build in your case) it's on time, even early. Weekends add extra days, they always have, always will. Weekends can't be counted with FedEx unless you overnight. Which is not even an option on BTO computers. You think that's bad? Imagine the people in Australia and Europe that seem to wait weeks. Your order is at this point, well within the time range for what you selected. It sucks to wait, it really does. But so far, they are not late, and in all probability will be early. Mine arrived a day earlier than FedEx showed on the website. Many people are getting theirs a day early. It all depends on your order. Gotta time it so you miss the weekends, or it will feel late even though it's on time.

When it really starts to suck, is if you ordered it at a bad time, and you see it arrive in your town/area Friday night, and there it will sit until Monday, only minutes/hours away :p FedEx moves packages on the weekend, but don't deliver with that option. Ridiculous if you ask me, it makes absolutely no sense at all. But it's their policy :(

20. neteng101 macrumors 65816

You should be annoyed at yourself for not reading and understanding what expedited shipping does.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/shipping_delivery

When you select expedited shipping, your item will take the same amount of time to prepare for shipment ('Ships'), but will expedite the time it takes to deliver to your doorstep ('Delivers').

All estimates are based on business days.

21. tcador macrumors regular

No, you should not be upset. You should be grateful they gave you a coupon, even if you have to spend money to save money.

22. 1quick1 macrumors member

Yea man, unfortunately it's how it works. Your best bet if you're impatient (like me) is walk in the Apple store and see what they have.

Trust me these build times are better than Dell's!

23. zenio macrumors 6502

You're Just Fine

Stop, relax, breathe, you are getting a new Mac!

Do you have ANY idea how many people would love to be in your shoes?

It'll be there when it gets there and within 2 nanoseconds you will have forgotten all about the _short_ wait.

24. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

As you can see by now from reading the responses, the general consensus is that yes, you are blowing this out of proportion. :)
    I understand your frustration, as I've been in the same situation as you.... several times. Buy hey, that's how it is. Stop wasting time arguing about it, accept the coupon offer and go do something more fun. It'll make the time go faster.

ps. You might still find your MBP on your doorstep before the weekend. That too does happen.

25. Sirolway macrumors 6502

+1
    Perfectly understandable delivery excitement / anxiety!