Should I be worried... (craigslist)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Super Intendo, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Super Intendo macrumors regular

I'm trying to sell my macbook on craigslist (I'd love to sell it here, but apparently I'm not qualified...) and I've gotten an offer. I know the general rule of thumb is 'if you have to ask, then its probably a scam' but with this one i'm just not sure, so I figured i'd ask here.

Here are the first and second emails i recieved (the only ones so far):
    I just dont know... it doesnt seem too shady, but i figured i should get some opinions first.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

NIGERIA?!

I don't mean to be stereotyping but.... 99% of the time (well i have yet to see a real honest transaction actually so 100% right now)

ANYONE telling you to ship to Nigeria is scamming you. Period.

4. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

i thought so as well, the only reason i think it might be okay is that hes saying he'll pay through pay pal, not like some weird money transfer system.

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  6. TSE macrumors 68030

If you calculate the cost to ship (add 10 bucks to the shipping costs :p) and he pays via paypal, you get your money, you send the item, why not?

7. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Nigeria = scam. They can sell you all the sob stories they want.

And the whole customs thing. They have anti-exportation laws and crap, so you might me held accountable.

I wouldn't do it, just try to find another buyer. You prolly spent one thousand dollars or more on the device. Imagine all that money in one dollar bills. Now imagine that AND your macbook in the scammers hand.

8. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

be careful of buyers saying they'll pay you though paypal, because i have received numerous emails that are fake paypal payment confirmations (exact quote:
    )
    you should log in to your paypal account to check that the money is indeed there.

9. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

thats probably true... hmph.

well only 68 more posts till I can post in the market place :rolleyes:

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

lol im to trying to sell and today i got this from a guy:
    "Hello,
    I appreciate your promptness I'm really interested in the Item but i'm so sorry as i won't be able to come for a look as i'm the busy type. Well, i'll keep in touch with my financier to mail a Check for the amount you're requesting for the Item and will have a shipping company to come for the pick up as soon as you confirm to me that you receive the check and it clears your bank. If this arrangement is acceptable, pls get back to me with your name as it will appear on the check and your contact address that the check will be mail to alongwith your cell #. Get back as soon as possible.
    Thanks."

hahahaha yeah right, i told him only cash and i never got his reply

11. hoangcong macrumors member

i heard a lot of bad stories about people being able to recall the money they sent through paypal!!
    Be careful!
    Someone tried to scam me with western union + fedex last year (sent a fake western union transaction and wanted to send fedex to fetch item asap!)

12. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

craigslist is a shady place :(

13. macintosh tech macrumors member

This is nonsense. A correct statement is "There are shady people on craigslist." On the plus side those are easy to pick out, not to mention even if you do think it is real and you fire off an email. The reply will surely raise the flag. Here are some frequent ones from around my parts:

14. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

15. MacSyn macrumors regular

Very simple.... sell only to locals.

This is what I did when I put my ad to sell my Mac on CL: buyer came over to my place, he could look at it and play with it as long as he wanted. Negotiate the price, gave me his cash and I gave him my Mac. I never consider to ship it to any place including within the US. Simple as that.

16. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Wow, never thought of that, thanks a LOT for the heads up on that one...

Anyways 100000% scam. I've gotten the old nigeria scam e-mailed to me countless numbers of times regarding my CL ads.

Whatever you do - try and do the transaction at the bank. Safest place. GL and find another buyer! Keep posting on MR then you can sell in the marketplace. The MR marketplace is built on trust - it's more comforting selling to members who have been around a while as they are technically less likely to scam. It looks suspicious when someone just signs up to MR to sell something!!

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MR Guides : Buying Online (also has a section on Craigslist)

Short version: Use craigslist ONLY for face to face local transactions.

18. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Lmao...just keep posting and before you know it you will have full MR privelages from the MacRumors God!

Good POV. I used to think the same way - but when i sold on CL I was reading about all kinds of scams so I decided to only do transactions at the bank. When I sold my MBP, the buyer met up w/ me at a bank, we checked over hte laptop together and as soon as he agreed it was in flawless condition (the same condition in which it was described!) he went over to the teller and withdrew the money. That way, I knew the money was real since it came from a bank!

I've dealt with 2 buyers on MR and didn't get scammed. They got their item, and I got my money. Everybody wins!

19. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Same as all the other recommendations...stay away from anyone asking you to send to their 'nephew', 'uncle', 'best friend', etc...especially to Nigeria.

I sold a mobile phone once on eBay and got quite a good price for it...The buyer paid through PayPal, (I didn't send the item because it was a weekend), 2 days after the buyer paid, PayPal took the money out of my account and emailed me saying the transaction was fraudulant. If I had sent the item immediately like I usually do, I would have been stuffed. So just be careful :)

20. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

This exact thing happened to me about a month ago, and I fell for it. I was selling my ipod touch and actually sent it to Nigeria (yes, I'm stupid I know.) But the whole tracking number thing, what they do is send you a fake email that looks like it is from paypal but really not. If they want you to send the tracking number and THEN you'll receive the payment, DON'T DO IT!!!!

21. kevlvm macrumors newbie

Another suspicious one from craigslist, I looked up the dudes name from hist email and he is from where the craigslist post came from-Detroit/Metro. THoughts?

Thank you for your email. I still have it for sale but before i answer to any of your questions i have to let you know that i am in Canada right now visiting my parents ranch. That`s not a problem because i can still handle the transaction. When i left in Canada, i left the item along with several other items in the iSOLD It custody because i wanted to sell them on eBay when i return, but something came up back home and i decided to sell this one before i get back but not on ebay because i need to sell it faster. If you are serious and still interested let me know because i can make the transaction immediately and i will explain all the details of the transaction .
    Thanks
    Lance

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The funny thing is that if you post in Europe, then the scammer would say they are from the US and Nigeria.

Lesson: read. Craigslist has posted plenty of info on these scams.

In addition, some people even click on the links, AND login to the fake site, giving the scammer a legit account to drain their funds.

23. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Cash and carry

Dear OP

All these replies are not needed, there are two rules I use when buying or selling on CL.

CASH AND CARRY ONLY

NEVER LET ANYONE IN YOUR HOME YOU DO NOT TRUST

If you allow someone in your home make sure to have a buddy there with you and I make it a rule to never let a CL buyer in my home if my wife and kid are at home.

The buyer should put cash in your hand or don't do it, also try to meet in a safe public place like your local coffee house etc. use your home as a last resort, if the buyer is serious he or she should have no problem with a coffee house transaction.

Last but not least if at any time during the transaction you feel weird take your item and walk away! if you feel the need dial 911. Some might think this is a bit extreme but CL is a very scary place!

24. mBurns macrumors 6502

Sounds sketchy. When I do Craigslist transactions, I always meet the people at Starbucks or such. A nice, safe public place!