should i buy 6,1 now(2019)?

xnathanh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
37
7
irvine
i have local offer brand new macpro 6,1 8core 64gb d700 for $2600 should i take this offer or wait for the mac pro 7,1?

personal want to take offer cause i need it for work(i have 2015 mbp i7 16gb-ram which is not enough for work, i need 32gb-ram at least)

also i know the new mac pro will come out this year(2019-10),if the basic price under $4000,then i think i will regret i got the 6,1
 

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
7,623
8,351
Brazil
i have local offer brand new macpro 6,1 8core 64gb d700 for $2600 should i take this offer or wait for the mac pro 7,1?

personal want to take offer cause i need it for work(i have 2015 mbp i7 16gb-ram which is not enough for work, i need 32gb-ram at least)

also i know the new mac pro will come out this year(2019-10),if the basic price under $4000,then i think i will regret i got the 6,1
Honestly, don't buy it.

If you need for work now, Buy a MP5,1, upgrade the RAM/CPU and wait the MP7,1 release. If you search carefully, you will spend around $500 to get a nice MP5,1 and with around $200 more you can buy a hexacore Xeon plus 48GB of RAM.
 

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
9,548
3,432
I would not buy a 2013 Mac Pro now. They’re already 5 years old.
 

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2015
1,969
1,518
Portland, Ore.
A refurbished 27" iMac would cost less than that and you could install 32GB of RAM. I'm not sure I'd recommend buying a 5,1 right now, unless you really like the DIY route. Wait for the 7,1 if you can.
 

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
3,650
1,928
If you literally just need 32GB+ of RAM, look at getting a new MBP. There are upgraded 2018 MBP 15" with Touch Bar models with 32GB and 560X GPU for almost the same price from B&H right now. At least that should be a worthy investment 2-3 years from now. If you sell your current MBP after, it would offset even further.

That being said, you can do much better than the 6,1 at that price range or even much less than that price range. Complete "Fully Loaded" MP5,1 models with dual 3.46 CPU and 128GB RAM are often under that price range. If you're willing to do the leg work for upgrading, can get for much lower.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chung123

xnathanh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
37
7
irvine
Thank you for your suggestion,
i will not go for
1. imac/imac pro(Although it can be upgraded, there is a bottleneck in performance in a closed environment.)
2. 5,1-3.46 128gb (i sold one in 2018-7 for 7,1 will appear in 2018-10 months :...< ) and 5,1 have too many Annoying problem like can't wakeup from sleep....

i think go for macbook pro 2018 is the one of the option

which one is better?
1.buy 2018 macbookpro 32gb i9 now and sell it after 7,1 come out?

2.buy 6,2 now and sell it after 7,1 come out or keep it?
 

yellowbunny

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
146
96
I bought the base 4 core last year for super cheap. 100% happy with it and am planning on upgrading cpu, ram, ssd at some point.

It’s also the prettiest computer :p
 

Apple Master

Suspended
Jan 13, 2009
232
193
Los Angeles
nah, the d700 non-upgradeable graphics card is a no for me. Its going to be obsolete in a few years as graphics cards are always getting faster.

You might want to get a mac-mini with a decent eGPU.
 

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
6,037
2,274
I did not buy a nMP in the past, I am not buying one today or tomorrow. IOW, I will NEVER buy the abortion they call a 2013 Mac Pro, because IMHO, it's not fit to wear the name. It's a piece of garbage thumbsdown.gif

Lou
 

jtmatchett

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
12
2
i have local offer brand new macpro 6,1 8core 64gb d700 for $2600 should i take this offer or wait for the mac pro 7,1?

personal want to take offer cause i need it for work(i have 2015 mbp i7 16gb-ram which is not enough for work, i need 32gb-ram at least)

also i know the new mac pro will come out this year(2019-10),if the basic price under $4000,then i think i will regret i got the 6,1
I recently purchased a second hand Mac Pro 6,1. I love the thing and it’s a beast for what I use it for. (Music Production) Mine is 8 core, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD and D500. $2600 is a little high but not ridiculous compared with same specs on eBay. Most folks are right, it’s old hardware. It’s hard to justify that kind of money for old equipment BUT if it’s got what you need, buy it. It made a difference for me coming from a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro and I’m sure it will last me a few more years. Had I bought a 2018 Mac Mini, I would have spent over $1,000 more for equivalent specs than what I paid for my Mac Pro and I also would have had to invest another $500 for a new Thunderbolt 3 card to go in my audio interface to make it compatible with the Mac Mini. So all in all, going with the Mac Pro saved me money and I’m glad I went that route.
 

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
358
99
Central Florida
Personally I've heard mixed reviews on the "Trashcan" a lot depends on what you are doing with it. If you are doing mostly spreadsheets and graphics documents with a little of GoPro video editing and basically light use for a MacPro then you could be fine with the "Trashcan". However for great speed and heavy video editing then the 5,1 MacPro is the undisputed king. Bang for buck you can get a 5,1 dual processor pretty cheap on eBay and then upgrade the crap out of it and still come under the $2600 dollar price tag of the "Trashcan" model you were looking at. Plus at the cost savings you could keep the 5,1 and then outright purchase the 7,1 when and if it comes available and keep the 5,1 and install a RAID card and turn it into a 6 bay NAS type machine. Personally I would stay away from the 27" iMacs due to thermal issues. I've had 2 and both have them have cooked the GPU even with running a fan program and have the fans running faster for better cooling. For the price of the video card (about 500 dollars) and me being lazy add the labor cost to replace it and it's cheaper to purchase a 5,1 MacPro which is just what I did. For 600 dollars I got a dual 2.4 GHZ quad core processor, 32GB of RAM, 256GB SSD with a 1Tb disc drive and the SuperDrive. For another 250 dollars I purchased a Mac version of the GTX680 video card. So for about 850 dollars I got a pretty decent machine for what I use it for. I have edited GoPro video with issues whatsoever.
I would stay away from the new MacMini because of thermal throttling issues. There are numerous videos on this on YouTube. There is a video where this uses one of those NUC computers and essentially makes a Hackintosh out of it pretty easily and it clearly out performed the new MacMini.
 

Apple Master

Suspended
Jan 13, 2009
232
193
Los Angeles
Personally I've heard mixed reviews on the "Trashcan" a lot depends on what you are doing with it. If you are doing mostly spreadsheets and graphics documents with a little of GoPro video editing and basically light use for a MacPro then you could be fine with the "Trashcan". However for great speed and heavy video editing then the 5,1 MacPro is the undisputed king. Bang for buck you can get a 5,1 dual processor pretty cheap on eBay and then upgrade the crap out of it and still come under the $2600 dollar price tag of the "Trashcan" model you were looking at. Plus at the cost savings you could keep the 5,1 and then outright purchase the 7,1 when and if it comes available and keep the 5,1 and install a RAID card and turn it into a 6 bay NAS type machine. Personally I would stay away from the 27" iMacs due to thermal issues. I've had 2 and both have them have cooked the GPU even with running a fan program and have the fans running faster for better cooling. For the price of the video card (about 500 dollars) and me being lazy add the labor cost to replace it and it's cheaper to purchase a 5,1 MacPro which is just what I did. For 600 dollars I got a dual 2.4 GHZ quad core processor, 32GB of RAM, 256GB SSD with a 1Tb disc drive and the SuperDrive. For another 250 dollars I purchased a Mac version of the GTX680 video card. So for about 850 dollars I got a pretty decent machine for what I use it for. I have edited GoPro video with issues whatsoever.
I would stay away from the new MacMini because of thermal throttling issues. There are numerous videos on this on YouTube. There is a video where this uses one of those NUC computers and essentially makes a Hackintosh out of it pretty easily and it clearly out performed the new MacMini.

I went through all of the pros and cons of an iMac, Mac Mini and the nMP and I agree, the cMP is the best option out there currently. I purchased a used 2010 5,1 dual 2.66 12 core today for about $550 with free shipping and I can't wait to upgrade but I'm sure it will be fine to do gopro video with a little more ram and transcoding the footage to apple prores 422. I just just hope that the 5.1 will last for a few more operating systems but if not a know a patch will be around with the popularity.
 
  • Like
Reactions: verdejt

needtoupgrademacpro

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2018
19
0
I would wait for 7,1. If anything, if the price is too high during launch, you can always go and buy a used 5,1.

Avoid 6,1 at all costs.
 

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
358
99
Central Florida
Honestly I see the 5,1 being around for at least 2 more versions of MacOS. The only reason that there was so much hoopla with Mojave is due to Metal. Since that is the graphics direction Apple seems to be going in I would see the final couple of releases to be maybe AMD video card specific before totally phasing the cMP out. Hopefully by then there will be a new MacPro that is worthy of the title.
 

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
6,037
2,274
^^^^The 5,1 cMP is already listed as vintage by Apple. There is no way the next OS will be allowed to install on a 5,1 cMP. By hacking, yes, but by a normal install - Nope!

Lou
 
Last edited:

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
938
624
Germany
^^^^The 5,1 cMP is already listed as vintage by Apple. There is no way the next OS will be allowed to install on a 5,1 cMP. By hacking, yes, but by a normal install - Nope!


Very soon the same might be true for the tcMP .
Besides, OSX might be on the way out if Apple doesn't put a decent MP together and improves the MBPs' usability .
3rd party software support has gone off the cliff already .

Also, new Macs only running the latest version of OSX has been a major concern for me for years; old Macs running the latest OSX - not so much .
 

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
9,548
3,432
Very soon the same might be true for the tcMP .
Besides, OSX might be on the way out if Apple doesn't put a decent MP together and improves the MBPs' usability .
3rd party software support has gone off the cliff already .

Also, new Macs only running the latest version of OSX has been a major concern for me for years; old Macs running the latest OSX - not so much .
Apple won't consider the current (2013) Mac Pro obsolete/vintage for 5 years after it's discontinued as a product, so it'll be supported for repairs at least until 2024. I'd be real surprised if Apple would go to the trouble of adding APFS/NVMe boot/etc. support to the cMP for only one revision of macOS.
 

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
3,650
1,928
Apple won't consider the current (2013) Mac Pro obsolete/vintage for 5 years after it's discontinued as a product, so it'll be supported for repairs at least until 2024. I'd be real surprised if Apple would go to the trouble of adding APFS/NVMe boot/etc. support to the cMP for only one revision of macOS.
There was a rumor floating around one of the engineers working on the 7,1 was following a thread on this forum and that is why the firmware updates/features were added. Believe the rumor pointed to the 5,1 being used for testing specific hardware for the 7,1.

APFS is basically an OS requirement for Mojave, so makes sense it needed to be included.
NVMe boot was added after users (like @tsialex) were basically providing separately and well documented the path.
 

Apple Master

Suspended
Jan 13, 2009
232
193
Los Angeles
^^^^The 5,1 cMP is already listed as vintage by Apple. There is no way the next OS will be allowed to install on a 5,1 cMP. By hacking, yes, but by a normal install - Nope!

Lou
Well then, there are going to be a lot of pissed off Mac users out there. I know that 5,1 users will not jump ship to a trashcan, as the graphics card will be obsolete in a few years compared to future options. That puts them at having to buy the 7,1 which I'm sure with Tim Cook on board it's going to cost over $5k for decent specs. Apple has really thrown its users up **** creek.
 

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
6,037
2,274
^^^^And there will be a lot more pissed off users when the 7,1 MP comes out and folks wanting to upgrade from their 5,1 cMPs, but find out that Apple has made all the connections proprietary, and the expansion slots are not standard. So they can't use good hardware pulled from their old machines.

IMHO, Apple seems to be trying to alienate the few of us left who were really hard core Apple fans, users and supporters.

Shame on Apple thumbsdown.gif

Lou
 

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
938
624
Germany
Apple won't consider the current (2013) Mac Pro obsolete/vintage for 5 years after it's discontinued as a product, so it'll be supported for repairs at least until 2024. I'd be real surprised if Apple would go to the trouble of adding APFS/NVMe boot/etc. support to the cMP for only one revision of macOS.
The tcMP was born vintage; repairs are not the issue either .
And where did I mention cMPs ?

Either way, in most cases Apple doesn't allow you to run an OSX version predating the OSX delivered with your Mac , not recently .
Hence, the concern is not whether you can run the latest OSX - it is whether the latest OSX is compatible with your workflow and older apps .
 

xnathanh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
37
7
irvine
thank you guys help :),i just paid $2400 for brand new/never open(with apple care) mac pro 6,1-8core-d700-32gb-256gb, i will upgrade to 128gb ram for another $500

here is reson:
1.i need 64gb ram at least
2.don't need powerful gpu
3.Energy saving :Donly 450w on this 6,1
4.i can't wait for new macpro
5.guess new macpro price will over $4900+tax
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.