Should I buy a 13" MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mxulive, Oct 4, 2010.

  1. mxulive macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2010
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I am thinking about buying a 13" MBP, and was wondering if I should get one now or wait for the new one to come out (does anyone know when that will be?)

    Thanks!
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    According to the Buyer's Guide the MBP is approaching the end of a product cycle.

    However as always- if you need one now and/or you don't actually need anything better than what's available, the differences between the current model and any upgrade will be minimal. iTunes and facebook aren't exactly demanding.
     
  3. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2004
    #3
    Personally I would wait - the difference between a cored2duo and an i5 is significant. You may not need the power now but down the road you will. I work with a core2duo at work and it has seen its day for heavy lifting (excel number crunching etc). I wouldnt take anything less than an i5 at this point.

    That being said, I have my doubts that Apple will move to putting an i5 in the 13 inch MBP - it might be a BTO but I dont think it will be standard. It is worth waiting to see what they do though.

    In an ideal world they will offer a higher rez screen and an i5 but thats asking for a lot.
     
  4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #4
    i see apple installing i3 in the 13" mbp, they definitely wont add i5.
     
  5. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #5
    Base will be i3, high end will likely be the 2.4 i5 in the base 15" right now.

    Anyhow, if you need it now, buy it now, if you don't need it yet, I'd wait for the update.
     
  6. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #6
    The 2.4 i5 has been replaced now though, so I can't see them using that in any refresh. I think they will use an i5 in the 13" MBP and an i3 in the white MB (i3 is the celeron of the core i range, not something that looks good on a spec sheet for a 'pro' machine)
     
  7. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #7
    Ok, I didn't realize the 2.4 had been replace. I suppose they may use a low-clock i5 rather than an i3 in the MBP
     
  8. jhkaplan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #8
    I'm stuck w/ this decision today too. I'd like an i5, but can't afford the 15" right now.

    I have an option to buy a 13" 2.4 C2D for $900 today, which would be good for me unless the i5 is less than a few months away. I have a C2D Asus ULV laptop and a C2D mac mini to sell to help pay for it; neither will be worth the same in 4-6 months when it might come time for a 13" i5.

    If I were to go with the 13" C2D today, how much do you think it could sell for in 3-6 mo when (if) the i5's come out? Should I buy the 13" now or wait for the possible 13" i5?

    I mainly use it for daily internet stuff, but also do a lot of excel work, some HD video watching (through Plex), and some infrequent gaming (XPlane).
     
  9. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #9
    If you can get the 2.4 C2D 13" for $900 you may as well grab it, I'm sure in 6mth time while still under warranty you would clear $700 IMO.
     
  10. jhkaplan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #10
    Yeah I think I'm going to jump on it. It's covered by the initial 1yr warranty until June 11, so I'll still be good to sell it.
     
  11. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #11
    I would say buy it now. I don't think that a new one is coming anytime soon.
     
  12. Heat305 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    #12
    I see them probably putting in am i3 but then you'd be stuck with crappy intel graphics. I dont think they can fit a separate gpu in the 13 inch. JMHO
     
  13. jhkaplan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #13
    Yeah, I thought about that. The i3 wouldn't be enough for me to upgrade. Maybe by that time I'll be able to save up a bit more and get the i5 15...
     
  14. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #14
    Wait for USB 3.0


    USB 2.0 will be a bottleneck before long if not immediately. In two years SSD drives will also be mainstream, and a year later in portable drives. Video files get ever more plentiful and larger in size.

    i5 processor's will be coming to the MBP 13" as well. i3 processors are crap, and widely available in Dell, Sony and HP laptops that sell for $650-.
    --
     
  15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #15
    Don't listen to DVD9, im surprised he didn't tell you to wait for HDMI on a mac... If you need it buy it, as its already been discussed many times, no one here know when the next update is OR what will be included. Yes blah blah USB 3.0, sandy bridge blah blah but no one knows for sure that Apple is putting these into next years plan so if you want/need it, buy it.
     

Share This Page