Should I buy a 15" i7 or a 17" i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agn1, Nov 5, 2010.

1. agn1 macrumors newbie

Should I buy a 15" i7 or a 17" i5?

The way I have them configured, both have high res matte screens, 4GB, 500GB@7200. The cost is the same: $2750.

I am a designer by trade, and this will be my main work laptop. I focus on web stuff, but I do a fair share of illustrator stuff as well as some video editing / comping. Also getting into iOS app design, so I'd need Xcode to run smoothly.

Are there any known problems with either model? I'm not aware of any, but it never hurts to ask.

TL;DR: I can't tell if I should go for slightly more pixels or slightly more processor.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends on one small thing. Portability. How much do you move. Depending on your answer, I'll give an assessment.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I use my 17" MBP on the go more than I do at home, but when I'm at home its hooked up to an ACD. It's exactly 1 lb larger than the 15".

4. agn1 thread starter macrumors newbie

For the foreseeable future, I'll be carrying this machine with me wherever I go. To be fair, I'm upgrading from a 17" Core 2 Duo model. I'm used to the general heft of 6.6 lbs, and I carry it around in a nice cushy incase backpack. Weight isn't really a factor I'd given much thought to at this point.

Given the fact that I'm used to the 17" of screen, I'm kind of leaning in that direction. At least to start, I'd be using this without any external displays, so pixels are at a premium. From the benchmarks I've seen, the i7 doesn't seem that much more capable. Still, I'm not sure.

Any opinions on the two chips?

5. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

I went for the 17" i5 and am glad I did. I switched from another 17" and really do like the extra screen. The weight is no big deal. Based on the reviews I have seen, the mobile i7 isn't really worth the extra $ over the i5. I added a 500GB Momentus XT hd and now couldn't be happier!

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The answer seems pretty clear.

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

8. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

9. mk1ap macrumors member

17"...... just noticed there's an option for a 2.8 i7. When did this happen?

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

IIRC it was the same day as the "Back To The Mac" keynote, with the introduction of the new MBA.