Should I buy a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iphone3g28, Oct 26, 2010.

1. iphone3g28 macrumors newbie

I had an i7 iMac, but sold it, but I loved it and needed the money at the time. I now have a new MBA and a 2.53 C2D MBP (which I am selling). Would like to buy a new desktop/work computer to help with my photography business, but not sure if a Mac Pro is for me. What is the benefits over an iMac i7? Is it more "future proof"?

Obviously you might assume I'd have to buy an external display/keyboard/mouse, but I have all but the display. The external display would be nice when wanting to work directly off the MBA.

If I buy this (2.66 Mac Pro):http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-Pro-MB871LL-Desktop/dp/B000R84UQ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288132830&sr=1-1 and a 27" display, will I be satisfied with performance for the next 3-4 years? I use Aperture 3, and CS5 for work.

Thanks for your input.

2. philipma1957, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

3. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I ust to only use iMacs untill the yellow screen issue and i returned 4. I gave up and went for a Mac Pro. I am so glad i did. The flexibility of upgrading/expanding is so usefull. Extra HDD's/SSD's is the best difference ive noticed.

Plus when I next upgrade my Mac Pro I can just take out the drives and plug them into the new one. It runs much cooler too.

For Photoshop stuff the base model 2.8GHz would be great.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

5. toxic macrumors 68000

it's more future proof in the sense that you can add PCI cards and upgrade parts down the road...but that more money on top of just buying one in the first place. depending on your use, buying iMacs more frequently might actually be better, cost-wise. you just have to deal with external storage.

you might be happy, you might not...no one can really predict that. I don't think it's unreasonable, though.

and honestly, skip the 27" ACD. there are better displays (internal LUT, matte, wider gamut) for about the same price.