Should i buy a Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leewalker19, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Leewalker19 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone...I'm really confused on whether or not i should buy a macbook or not.

I've had a windows pc for years and its on its last leg and is not useful anymore. Now i have a iPhone and a iPad2 so i really don't use the computer to much anymore unless I'm synching to iTunes or something. Now i thinking i would use it more if i didn't have such a crappy laptop.

What do you all think? Its just things you can do I'm a laptop that you can't do on a iPhone or iPad, but do you all think it would be a good purchase for me? I've never had a mac before so this would be my first since i've been a long time windows user, but I'm just so tired of windows and have gradually growing into the apple ecosystem as you can see.

You guys think i should just suck it up and get one. I know i would be happy once its in my hand. Just getting up to go to the store an spend that money is hard for me. Lol

2. Liquinn Suspended

I say go for it, though they are expensive; you get what you pay for. I am personally saving up money for a 17" Ivy Bridge Macbook Pro next year (hopefully).

It annoys me having an iPad and an iPhone, so it only makes sense to get the MBP among other things.

I hope I have helped somehow. Thanks :)

3. Leewalker19 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man...Your input is appreciated. A lot of my friends are annoyed about that too. I'm just so tired of windows and its the only thing i need to complete my apple collection.

Good luck with getting yours though. I think I'm going to just get the 13inch.

4. Sean* macrumors newbie

Sean*

I have just taken the plunge and bought a Mac Book Pro 13". Totally worth it. Sometimes I just don't feel like going on my iMac so browse for 10 minutes, so I just keep the MBP by my sofa and use it when i want while maintaining comfort. :)

So yeh, you should buy one.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

With finances permitting, I reckon you should milk your current laptop's usage until it falls apart or let it 'accidentally' hit a wall at a very high velocity. This should then allow you every excuse to make the step over to a mac. :)

6. Liquinn Suspended

I use Photoshop often, and it works on a Mac, so that's all good.

And well, I do like the appeal of a Mac, I will have a 2 fairly good PC laptops and a MBP 17" side to side, that should be cool ;D

Yep, our Apple collection will be complete soon.

Cheers,

7. FnKev macrumors newbie

I say go for it if the funds are there. Ive been happy with every Mac Ive owned over the past 7 years. You've already got an iPhone and iPad. Sounds like you're doing for a MBP. :) Which Mac book are you considering buying?

8. daxomni macrumors 6502

I'd suggest you wipe your hard drive and reinstall windows from scratch. That way you'll be sure your current computer is really and truly on its last legs instead of just cluttered with too much crap. Then if you want to spend double or triple what any conventional laptop would cost for the same power then by all means go for it. Just don't treat your aluminum Macbook like a plastic windows laptop or it will get dented and dinged a lot. I found this out the hard way.

9. Leewalker19 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thats pretty funny...Yea that pc just runs so slow. It needs a new battery and charger also. I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I hate having to work to maintain my computer.

10. Liquinn Suspended

A 17" Macbook Pro hooked up to a 27" ACD or a 24" Samsung + two or a 24" Samsung and 22" LG monitor or something would be nice, I already own a 24" Samsung LCD too. :)

Yeah true, what I like about my iPhone and iPad is that it just works, no maintenance is required, so that's another factor I'm paying for in a MBP.

11. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

If you're going to buy a Mac and are out of college, I suggest you seriously consider the iMac over the Macbook Pro.

I mean, all Apple computers are well designed, but damn ... that iMac is in a league of it's own in my opinion.

12. Leewalker19 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I'm in college. Thats why i was leaning towards the pro.

13. Liquinn Suspended

Not a chance, the Macbook Pro offers portability, so if I get a job in a few years, then I can take my Macbook Pro to work if needed. I would never buy an iMac over a Macbook Pro, but you do get more bang for the buck. A 17" MBP and two external monitors is quite enough :p

It's funny how I can turn on my iPhone/iPad, and I'm ready to surf; while Windows laptops takes atleast 5 minuites before you can do serious things on it.

14. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Oh that's a shame.

Well hey, the 13" Macbook Pro is still a great computer! I have no complaints on mine at all.

One thing people don't often talk about in a laptop is the screen, and the screen of the Macbook Pro is partly the reason I haven't owned a different laptop since I bought my first one (don't get me wrong there are competitors with good screens too, but they usually have one or two things that are deal breakers for me).

Furthermore, you're going to love being able to leave your charger at home when you go to the library.

----------

Well I followed that line of reasoning too, but I find myself not needing a laptop very rarely. Sure when I do need one, there's no substitute, but I do prefer to do my everyday computing on the big screen.

Not a reasonable comparison in my opinion.

1) Most computers utilize HDDs compared to the built in flash memory used by tablets and phones. Even a HDD equipped Macbook Pro doesn't boot as fast as an iPhone or iPad.

2) Real computers interface with other hardware and as a result must load their drivers. Tablets and phones are self contained and usually don't need to bother with this step

As flash memory becomes cheaper, real computers will certainly not have a problem in decreasing boot times.

15. Leewalker19 thread starter macrumors regular

Man it takes me at least 15-20 minutes just to boot up that laptop....SMH..

Now you right about the iPad/iphone..After that 20-30 sec boot its ready for anything.

16. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah I do know what you mean.

What I will be doing with my Macbook Pro is maybe buying a 128GB SSD, removing the internal hard drive, and using the external hard drive when I'm at home, while keeping only 50GB or so of data on the SSD. Good idea or not? :)

17. Leewalker19 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea i think i would be satisfied and battery life is always a concern and I trust apple with that. I never take my iPad or iPhone battery with me and i assume it would be the same way with the pro

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's what I planned to do myself, but then I found myself using my desktop more often than my laptop so I didn't bother investing any more money into it.

Still even with a HDD, I think my Pro is alright for what I need it to do. I rarely ever shut mine down so it's usually good to go whenever I need it.

19. daxomni macrumors 6502

My last two MBP's have worked pretty well, but I'd never claim they don't ever fail to work. I have a heck of a time keeping Plex working for one thing.

Yep, sounds like you need to reinstall Windows. But that wouldn't fit into the narrative you've already outlined, so I guess you'll be buying a Mac soon enough. Hope you enjoy it as much as you think you will.

My 2010 13" MBP is rated for something like ten hours but only gets between three and four hours in actual use. My 2009 15" did better than that. I'm not sure what the problem is but the warranty on the 2010 laptop has already long since expired and I don't feel like spending $150 on a new battery for a laptop that's not even that old.

20. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I think it's a reasonable comparison. In terms of getting to the internet, it's faster, and it has most, if not all, of the features of a computer. Although technically they are different classes of machine, from a consumer standpoint, they could be the same... My dad bought an iPad and the only thing he uses it for (besides testing software for work) is to check websites when he doesn't want to wait for his computer to boot.

21. MasterBSOD macrumors member

MasterBSOD

If money is an issue - check out the refurbished machines.
    That's all I ever buy these days.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

22. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I moved from Windows to Mac in 2009 and haven't really looked back.

There's no registry or NTFS to contend with.

It's easy to transfer apps to a replacement Mac.

OS X is more robust.

The 17" MBPs have very good screens (even if they are TN panels). And far better battery life.

There are a few downsides, as with all things and I promise not to digress, but the pros easily outweigh the cons.

23. Liquinn Suspended

Has anyone found the non-user replacement battery an issue?

24. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i haven't... 7 hours (which I actually get) is more than sufficient.

25. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Whoop de flipping do ... Tablets/Phones boot faster.

Do you seriously want me to start a list of things the conventional computer can do that Tablets/Phones can't?

Why do you people in bother drawing these Apples to Oranges comparisons?