should i buy a macbook pro 17" today, or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

    SPNarwhal

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Location:
    illinois
    #1
    somebody is offering to sell me their brand new (unopened) 17" unibody macbook pro. for 2,200 dollars.
    should i take this deal? or wait until june?
    do you think anything new for the macbook pro will be announced / released in june?
    i just don't want to buy right now and then regret it later,
    but i also don't want to wait and have this deal pass me up.
    so, what are your thoughts?
    this is a good deal, right?

    :apple:
     
  2. brosmooth macrumors member

    brosmooth

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    #2
    $500? sounds like a good deal to me, plus if your saying waiting till june and afraid apple might update it, not only do i not believe that will happen, since theyve never done it b4, but even if they did i couldnt see anything major happening by june, i dont even think it would be worth it to wait till late in the year when apple might update the series again.

    But all in all its up to you, but if i were you and had the money i would do it.
     
  3. Kronie macrumors 6502a

    Kronie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    #3
    I couldn't tell you what Apples plans are for the 17" but I'm sure it wont be anything too special. $2,200 is an good deal for a new 17". BUT if you buy it like that, if there is something wrong, like a bad graphics card, or bad WIFI or whatever you cant return it, just get it fixed by apple.
     
  4. Kronie macrumors 6502a

    Kronie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    #4
    $500? Best price for a 17" is $2,544.00

    http://www.pcprices.net/macbookpro17.shtml

    EDIT:
    Of course I tried to buy my UMBP from these sellers and they couldn't get it in stock a few months back, I had to use Apple. I'm sure its different now.
     
  5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

    SPNarwhal

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Location:
    illinois
    #5
    i'm not buying from a store, it's from a person direct.
    the box isn't opened, i already seen it.
    and i was told i could buy applecare for it still?
    so apple -would- cover it, wouldn't they?
     
  6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #6
    If this is a good friend of yours it sounds like a deal. If this is some dude you met off craigslist I wouldn't touch it.

    The macbook pros are due for an update though no one knows when.
     
  7. brosmooth macrumors member

    brosmooth

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    #7
    hes just saying if the screen was broken or something you couldnt go to an apple store and just get a new one, yes apple would just take it in and repair it, its fine

    i say go for it, sounds like a great deal to me
     
  8. magamo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    #8
    If you know the person well and if he or she is reliable, I'd buy it. $2,200 for a new 17" is a good deal, and no one knows if Apple will update MBP in June. I wonder why the person wants to sell a brand new laptop before opening it, though.
     
  9. thiagos macrumors 6502

    thiagos

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Location:
    NYC (Manhattan)
    #9
    The 17" Unibody MacBook Pro was just released on the end of February and Apple also updated their 15" MacBook Pros to 2.66ghz and 2.93ghz. I doubt they will update it in June, I think the next update will be around September/October 2009. So you are safe to buy it.
     
  10. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    NYC - Manhattan
    #10
    I was shopping for a uMBP a few days ago and I couldnt find one for that price. I ended up getting a 15", but if I could have found a 17" for 2200 I would have taken it. I couldnt find one for less then $2500 NIB.
     

Share This Page