Should I buy a MacBook Pro now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryguy4690, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ryguy4690 macrumors newbie

I have literately been reading everything about the MBP for the past few months and have been checking the buy guide here on the MacRumors Forums. I am seeking advice from some of the more experienced Mac users. This will be my first Mac besides the iPhones.

I have been working my tail off all summer and as a reward to myself I will be getting a Mac to replace my old HP laptop. I will be using it for school, so, there is no rush to get right now, just before I go back to school in early September.

I would really appreciate any advice.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Purchase before the back to school promo ends. Along with the student discount, you get a free iPod Touch which you can sell off. This subsides some of the cost of the laptop.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Get it now. The MBP has just gone through a re-freash, so you'll be waiting a while :rolleyes:

4. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that deal is going on right up until the start of the school year, so, that will not be a problem. Good mention about that, thanks!

5. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's really what I was hoping to hear. I just didn't want to buy the computer next month and then have something better come out like a week later. Are there any talks of a new MBP in the works?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think so. If there is it'll be quite a distant rumour... It won't be that much better anyway. Slight processor bump maybe?

7. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

You should only expect a new MBP when an Apple event is being held. There isn't an event until October/November I think and even then we already know that event has nothing to do with the MBP line but rather the iPods.

Buy now and you'll be good until at least February/March of next year (2011)

8. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be no big deal at all.

9. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

And even when the new line of MBP's does indeed come out, it's not like you're going to be left behind in the dust. The new i5/7 processors are beast.

10. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will buy right before school starts.. like mid-August and then if something dramatic changes with the new MBP, I could always sell it for a decent amount of money.

That apple event if I recall is something about the iPod touch with the possibility of some FaceTime stuff? That would not be cool though because I will have a iPod touch out of the deal that I will try to sell but no one will probably want it.

11. JCCash macrumors regular

Which model MBP are you interested in buying? For me it was a toss between the 13" and 15". I ended up buying the 13" due to the fact that I use a 24" iMac at my home office and use a PC with dual monitors at work. The 13" is for travel and work and frankly playing poker while I watch TV. LOL I have to load Windows on the MBP so I can use QuoteWerks.com quoting software. When I travel I can create quotes for business. If this is your only computer I'd go for a 15" and consider buying a refurbish i5 unit. Refurbs are the best deal (IMO).

12. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

This would be my only computer, so, yeah I was thinking the 15". My current HP laptop is a 17" but its just too bulky. The refurb i5 unit on there now is $1529 and I can get a brand new one for $1699 after my edu discount.. what do you think?

13. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

$1699 then sell iPod for $150 then sell free printer for $50.

14. alectheking macrumors 6502a

I'm having a hard time deciding on my purchase to.. I really only want the 13 mbp because the size and price with edu discount and selling of the iPod touch. I know the core 2 duo is very capable, but would rather not purchase it. I am also interested in the iMac refresh because I'm hoping the base 27 will get bumped to a standard i5 quad core. Either that or the 21.5 will get a upgraded I series processor and better GPU. I would love to take advantage of the back to school promotion, but have no clue what I want to do. I have an iPad 3G and and iPhone 4 but don't have my Mac anymore so it kinda blows. I am pretty sure the mbp wont be updated again in time for the promotion which kinda sucks but it is what it is. I'm anxious on the impending imac update cause that may sway my decision. I don't "need" a laptop but kinda prefer it. The iMacs power to price ratio is quite a bit better in my eyes than the mbp's. I need help lol :confused:

15. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

16. discofuel macrumors 6502

I used eBay and sold my iPod for $175 and my printer for $96!

17. JCCash macrumors regular

You would save $170.00 buying the refurb which comes with the same warrantee. Do you want the iPod that comes with education discount? Do you want to take the time to sell the iPod on eBay or Craigs list? You will need to sell the iPod for more than $170.00 to be ahead. I actually purchased a 13" with the educational discount because my daughter wanted the iPod Touch. Last March I bought a refurbished 15" MBP 2.66GHz for my son. Both MBP's are working fine and both kids are happy.

18. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

Confused! Honest help needed!

First off, I want to say that you guys are really great with all the great insight and help...

I have been reading the threads here for days and I am sort of confused.

I am going to be a Computer Science major this year in college and I was wondering what exact specifications that would be required for that.

I read about iLife '11, whats the deal with that?

I was reading about screens (anti-glare, hi-res, etc.) Can anyone offer any insight into that?

I was also seeing screen shots of an "in-store reservation page" what is that? how can I access that?

Let me know.

Thanks.

19. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

For CS major just have a copy of windows so you can dual boot, any MBP is sufficient spec wise.
    iLife 11 would simply be an upgraded version of iLife 09, not that big of a deal.
    Anti-glare screen is simply a matte screen that you see on some laptops, the boarder is silver instead of black. Glossy is the glass screen with the black border you see on most macs. High resolution option is simply a higher resolution screen, more pixels.
    In store reservation is simply reserving an apple product for pickup.

20. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I wait until sometime next month to buy the machine if I wanted the new iLife?

What screen would be the best for what I will be doing?

How can you access in-store reservation?

21. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

It's personal preference, high resolution gives you more space on the screen for things such as having multiple windows open at the same time.
    Glossy gives you glare but a better picture depending on who you ask, anti-glare will work best wherever you are, outside or inside.
    Would recommend high res and antiglare but those are premiums if care to pay more.

iLife 09 or 11 won't make much of a difference unless you want the newest version, wait if it matters to you.

Instore reservation is pretty much for iphones and such, don't bother with it.

22. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, in your opinon, what actual config should I buy? when should I buy it?

23. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Base 15" i5 with antiglare+high res (note that antiglare+high res is an additional $150)

when is up to you since the only difference between buying today and next month is the iLife that's apparently coming out
    http://gizmodo.com/5596596/whats-ilife11-mysterious-new-application

24. ryguy4690 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I be able to buy that at a retail apple store? What is the real difference in this screen?

25. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

High res option simply gives you more pixels so that you have more real estate on the screen. If you don't care for it then skip it but the antiglare option requires the high res option too, it's a package unless you just want high res.
    Antiglare is most beneficial if you work outside or if the indoor lighting sucks since the glossy version is like a mirror to some people.
    Antiglare option is the best option for any occasion unless you like the look of the glossy screen.

Some stores carry the antiglare/high res. Feel free to call the store(s) around you to ask.