Should I buy a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarthTreydor, Jun 12, 2008.

1. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

alright guys, here's my situation:

i'm going back to school this september after taking a year off. i'm studying music composition and recording arts. i have a mac pro at home that i use for my heavy lifting (recording, editing, and such). however, i am debating buying a low-end macbook to take to school with me. my house is about 10 miles from campus so it would be nice to have the convenience of having a computer to use for typing papers in the library, opening logic projects in class that were created on my mac pro, surfing the internet between classes, etc.

i've considered getting a used powerbook but they seem overpriced for the power you get. even though i don't want to do anything too taxing with it, PPC machines feel like a waste of money at this point.

i'm working all summer and by september i'll have enough money saved for the macbook. so it is doable. but on the other hand, the money could also be spent on other things that i'll want/need during the school year. i'm trying to decide whether it's worth it. what do you think?

thanks!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

At first glance, it sounds like more fun than function. Since, you live close to school and have a nice setup already, the money can be used for other things.

Are there other ways to do what you need on campus or can they wait until you get home?

In the end, it's really up to you.

3. Mjmar macrumors 65816

If you don't have a notebook already, i say go for it. If you already do, i say spend it on something else.

4. kabunaru Guest

Buy an updated aluminum MacBook if you are going to buy a MacBook. :)

5. jkaz macrumors 6502

the world is going mobile, save up for a MBP.

I have a MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and an aluminum iMac.

If I had to start from scratch, the first machine I would replace would be the MacBook Pro.

6. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

if one comes out before September, that would make the decision a whole lot easier. but i also want to take advantage of the free ipod deal.

7. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

why

Why the MBP first if you do not mind...?:apple:

8. jkaz macrumors 6502

not a problem ...

The MBP satisfies all of the mobile needs and beyond of what the MacBook does.

With a little extra hardware, I can configure my MBP to replace an iMac.

And of course, though the power is superior, the Mac Pro is not portable.

Also, there is just something that I can't put into words that is simple extraordinary and good about using my MBP.

9. kabunaru Guest

How can a MacBook Pro be better than an iMac? :confused:

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

For the few times a year that you might want to work on writing an essay or other projects that require a computer while your at school, you should be able to get access to open computer labs or laptops that can be borrowed at the library. So, if you think you will need to money for something else, you can probably get by without a laptop at school.

Cheers.
    :apple::)

11. jkaz macrumors 6502

Alot of it depends on which models you buy.

Some of it depends on how much value you place on the portability.

It can depend also on what you attach to them.

A MBP attached to a 30" Cinema Display, full keyboard and mouse, and a firewire hard drive, for me and my purposes is roughly equivalent to an iMac with an extra display and firewire hard drive.

Again, depending on which models you get, performance, in my opinion is going to be comparable and on top of that, the MBP is a laptop.

--edit--

better is based on perspective, for me ... i could replace the usage of an iMac with a MBP, that's me, might diff for others

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I would love to know who made up this absolute nonsense about an aluminium MacBook. I just can't see it happening. The iBook line has always been made of plastic because not only is plastic cheaper than aluminium, it's much more durable too. Why would Apple erode their profits by using aluminium?

13. kabunaru Guest

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._to_see_major_design_changes_sources_say.html

It's going to happen sooner or later. Aluminum is more environmentally friendly than plastic. The MacBook is the only product left that is not aluminum. Apple has transitioned their Macs to aluminum except the MacBook.

14. mr.light macrumors 6502

Yes you should buy a MacBook. In fact you should buy one for me! :D

Seriously though, a MacBook is a fine machine and will you do you well. Maybe get a refurb and save some bucks?

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

If you can't decide if you need it or not , you don't . :)

16. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

a mbp would be great, but it would be overkill for what I need it for and way out of my price range, even if i went the refurb route.

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

We've just seen the iPhone take a step away from aluminium though, so that kinda proves Apple isn't totally against plastic.

18. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

If your school requires laptops, then that would be a deciding factor, but I didn't see you mention that in the original post.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Aluminum is the future!

All the most powerful computers are going to aluminum (see photos). Apple would be left in the dust by these competitors if they didn't upgrade everything to aluminum! :D

Attached Files:

20. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

they don't require them and, to be honest, i could probably get by with out one. its really a matter of convenience for me. i'll guess i'll just wait and see what my financial situation is at the end of the summer.

21. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

I feel ya buddy. I just dont want to buy a MBP and then see the montevina chips come out soon! Ug...

My school requires a notebook, and i do not have a desktop just a borrowed notebook. An hp.... ug. So it makes sence for me to get one. But hey im pretty sure jobs has a mac pro AND an mbp. So be cool like him! ;)

Does anyone have any idea whats the latest on montevina?

22. illidian macrumors 6502

Intel is saying the platform will be available July 14th.

23. sachin10dulkar macrumors newbie

WHy would 1 person need 4 computers?!?!?!

apologies if this is a requirement for your work or something, but it feels like we are going down the road we went on with Tvs 20 years ago - people are gonna have Computers in their bathrooms next!!

24. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

You mean you don't? :D

25. jkaz macrumors 6502

iMac for my main job, MacBook for 2nd job, Mac Pro at home shared with the person i live with, MacBook Pro for me :)

edit:
    iMac replaced a 4 year old eMac, Mac Pro replaced a 3 year old iMac for video editing, Mac Book is new and MacBook Pro replaced my almost 7 year old quicksilver! i was due!