should i buy a mbp now or wait???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coder01, Dec 30, 2009.

1. coder01 macrumors newbie

Does apple announce when a new lineup will be coming out ?
    I see in the mac rumor buyer guide that they are due for a new lineup, but cannot find word of when.
    wanted to buy before the end of the year for tax purposes, but it will drive me crazy if a new notebook comes out in 1 or 2 months.
    esp. with talk of the 4 core computer, but that seems like it is not happnening.
    any gossip or knowledge about what is around the corner ?
    should i wait, and if i do , is it known how long before the new lineup is available ?
    thanks,

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

3. coder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait until after macworld??

do they release a new lineup right after macworld?
    will i be looking at getting a newer model in february or march, if i am waiting until after macworld?
    thanks.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple isn't going to MacWorld (or CES) The updates seem to be hinted at sometime in January. I believe that one of the following two scenarios will play out (assuming a tablet is coming in January, which is a large assumption):
    A. Apple releases update via an event, happens on the 26th, likely with the tablet.
    B. Apple doesn't announce it via event, they come on the 12th, tablet on the 26th.​

5. coder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

announcements

so apple does not announce new lineups until they are in the stores, or just about in the stores? is that the way it works?
    just have to wait and see, but it should be january or latest february?
    thanks again.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple announces updates when they are ready, and most of the time delivered to the store the night before or at least that day.

They announce it via their website, and sometimes they hold special events.

One such event is rumoured to be on January 26th 2010, but if updates are announced on that day is not known. It can be the following or the previous Tuesday* or some other time.

*Tuesday is Apple day - meaning new releases/updates occur on Tuesdays most of the time.

PS: MRoogle will find you many threads on update expectation and rumours for MacBook Pros in January/February 2010.
    Or any other thread, that has been chewed more than once.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

No one knows when the macbook pro update will be. But since there is an event happening on Jan.26, there is a slight chance that new macbook pros will be announced then though many people are hoping it'll be the mythical Apple tablet instead. Ha.

So I'll suggest holding off till Jan.26 if you can wait before buying getting your macbook pro. If it comes out then, great you can buy it. If not, keep waiting.

But if you want my advice, I'll suggest not waiting and just getting one of the current refurbs. Never pay regular price for macs, refurbs are always the better deal.

cheers and happy new year!

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The rumor says January. Tons of evidence points to it, but if nothing happens - it's not like Apple broke a promise. Tuesday is the traditional day for Apple, but that has not always held true in recent years – events are still on Tuesday.

As for whether they are going to be in the stores and when, that depends on each launch - just don't expect everything to be in the stores.