Should I buy a Wii?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gadgetgirl85, Oct 10, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm thinking of selling my XBOX 360 since I absolutely never play it anymore. I haven't found any game that has really taken my interest 100% I'm not into shoot em up games at all...I like sports games, RPGs etc. The only thing that deters me from the Wii is not having nice graphics. Can someone give me some advice?

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I have a Wii and it is a lot of fun. Wii Sports is highly addictive (Tennis pro right here! Ha ha). One of the best things about the Wii is that you can download older games to play. Anyway, that's why I like the Wii. Oh, and Super Paper Mario rocks.

3. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Should you buy a Wii? No. I bought one, and now . . . .

Sigh, I use to have a life, really. Damn you Mario Strikers!

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Forget the graphics; if you want a game system just to have some fun, Wii's the way to go.

Especially if you like multiplayer and party games (stuff for having friends over).

5. jgutteri macrumors newbie

I agree...

Your Xbox experience sums it up perfectly: it isn't the graphics, it's the gameplay. I love our Wii, and previously had a 360 too. The possibilities are endless with the controllers and every normal game suddenly becomes fun! Hooked up to our HD 42" plasma and surround sound, it performs beautifully. Yes 480p and ProLogic II aren't 1080i and Dolby Digital, but that means absolutely nothing if fun and physical engagement is your aim. Cheers.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The Wii is FUN, which is the best part of playing games!

A true Wii games like Metroid Prime 3 look absolutely great -- even on my image-bastardizing LCD HDTV here in my office. It's just the first of many to come! Everything prior to this game has been PS2 or Cube ports, which didn't even begin to tap into what the Wii is capable of, but that was expected since the console is less than a year old.

RPGs should be great on the Wii, since the interface can be designed around a pointer. Just like the DS when some developers figured it out.

<]=)

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Everyone should have a Wii! Fun fun fun! :D Ok, so I mostly play Tennis on Wii Sports on ours, but it's bloomin' fantastic. I never thought I'd buy a console full stop, but the Wii was worth every penny.

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

I sold my 360 to get a Wii...the 360 games were actually great to me, but were too time intensive. The Wii fits better with my lifestyle...it allows for a better experience with short time gaming while also providing good long time gaming if you need it.

Paul

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Good heavens Victoria, wasn't so long ago you were agonizing about buying that xbox. Then you'll get tired of the Wii and so on. This is how it is with games consoles, I think it's time you just stopped buying everything. Posted from my iPod touch, nyah nyah na nyah nyah.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If ya want. My Wii has a thick layer of dust (because I don't touch the console!, oh and not really because I clean the house:p).

I've wasted away too much time on games like Mario Strikers and Wii Sports, and pretty soon I'm more or less assured that Smash Bros Brawl is going to kiss byebye to any free time I have left.

My 360 red ringed too, I sold it when it returned because I realised I didn't play it that much. It has all these highly rated games but they're not the kind of games I put hours at a time into. I'm more than happy with a PC and Wii. Unless Half Life 2 is released on the Wii :p

11. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Please do not refer to me as Victoria, thank you :) and I have a touch too?

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

If you got bored with the 360 you'll get more bored with the Wii eventually. 360 has a lot more going for it in terms of long term enjoyment IMO.

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Agreed. My Wii isn't much fun anymore :(

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Growing bored of the Wii is a crime when "Zak and Wiki," Umbrella Chronicles, and Harvey Birdman -- I LOVE THIS CARTOON -- will be out shortly! Not to mention that it's the fall season, so games in general explode onto any console, especially on a YEARLING console that's been a runaway success -- SO the majority of DEVELOPERS are panicking to get their crap, I mean games onto it! :)

If the Wii were my only gaming outlet and I had played and beat all of its offerings -- meaning I really didn't do anything else, not even WORKED, and I DIDN'T HAVE FRIENDS, than I would probably be bored of it. But who really has time for that, not to mention that even the biggest weirdo has some sort of life, or more than one avenue to entertain themselves.

I'm bored of those that go against the flow of FUN! ;)

<]=)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not here, I flogged my 360 because it wasn't that fun IMO. It was like swimming through mediocre soup.

Stuff like Strikers, Metal Slug, Twilight Princess and the upcoming Prime 3 (which I hear walks over Halo 3 in single player), Brawl and Galaxy all around the corner - it's a ruddy awesome machine. And the VC is full of the best games ever (fact).

Bingo!

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Because there's no games outside of Zelda and Metroid...it'll be a good time to be a Wii owner once we get Galaxy and Brawl.

Oh, and Strikers is awesome.

17. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Super Paper Mario was also a fun romp. As was Resident Evil 4 (though, it's simply an outstanding port).

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Ahhh, RWii4. Soooooo much FUN!!! :)

I still have hard mode to beat! :D That game still has sooo much re-playability in it. It's easilly the best $30 I've spent on entertainment.

<]=)

19. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

How does one get "more bored" with something? ;)

It all depends on what her likes and dislikes are.

I think pcypert said it best for me. I'm sure I would really enjoy a 360 because of the great games it has, but the majority of those games require a huge time investment, and that's something I can't give.

Plus there doesn't seem to be many games that would interest my wife like the Wii has with MySims or future Animal Crossing titles.

So for my family it's definitely the Wii all the way. :)

20. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Graphics look REALLY good on Super Mario Galaxy coming up. (Brawl too kind of.) I'd say get a Wii dude... Zelda twilight princess is probably the best RPG there is and Mario strikers is one of the best sports games and there is so much more coming!

21. pcypert macrumors 6502

Yeah,
    It's a great family system. My wife really hates video games...but she's been asking constantly about WiiFit and she's actually above tolerant with her stance on the Wii...which is a pretty big deal.

I wish the 360 and others would use that power to make some great new style platformers. Games that are easy to accomplish a lot in a short sitting, but with many levels to go through or something. I wish Abe's World stuff was still around...other games like that. I remember playing Oblivion for two hours and having no sense I'd accomplished anything really. Then had a 2 week break and forgot what was going on :)

Paul

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends; if you don't like the 360's type of games, like the OP does, the Wii DOES have a lot more.

I can easily find more games I desire on the Wii than the 360, just because I dislike console FPS.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Viccles....

But you'll miss out on the Viva Pinata party game ;):p

Sell some of the games you no longer play and put the money/trade towards a wii

But keep your 360 and have best of both worlds. You can guarantee you'll only be kicking yourself when somthing crops up on the 360 you want and there is a 'dry patch on the wii front'

(I didn't like the sound of that last bit :eek:)

24. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Viccles/Victoria (or whatever),

I agree. Keep the 360 and get a Wii. Sell some old games to fund the Wii. You'll get good game options on both (only better options with the Wii). But the 360 may eventually get some exclusive that you really want.... And native Wii games look outstanding, graphically. It's the ports that look like rubbish.

25. pkts macrumors member

Thats funny...the OP and me couldn't be more different. I have both a 360 and a Wii. I haven't used my Wii in 5 months. They just aren't my types of games. I bought into the lovefest. And Wiisports...I couldn't get into it....just seemed like a novelty. Why am I jumping around my room like an idiot playing fake tennis when I could be outside playing real tennis?

Anyway...360 has some amazing games out recently (Bioshock, Halo 3, Orange Box, NHL 08) and I don't even like FPS that much. If those games aren't drawing your interest then yes...get a Wii...its so cheap...why not?