Should I buy an Ipad now or wait for next generation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by an0213, Nov 14, 2010.

1. an0213 macrumors newbie

I have to admit, this question has become more and more annoying to me. There are rumors about the Ipad2, there is no doubt it will be better in some way. But the date is still unclear. Should I keep waiting?
    Thanks for your advice...Really need it.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Does the current one do everything you want? if it does then buy it if not wait.

4. an0213 thread starter macrumors newbie

It kind of does. The problem is that when I was using apps like CNN and NYTimes on the Ipad in store, I found the letters were a little bit blur. I don't know whether it's because of the app of the screen. But that makes my eyes uncomfortable. So I am hoping the next generation for best screen solution. Or it's just because the app? Can anyone who also have the app tell me about it?

5. spiralynth macrumors regular

Who cares about the next iPad. I've been loving mine for 7 months now. Couldn't care less about iPad 2. Whenever it comes, it comes. And if I feel like it at the time, I'll eBay this one and buy that one.

Enjoy life now.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had also wanted to buy an iPad, but decided to wait till January/April 2011, because it is highly probable that the new iPad will have a camera. And it is a dealbreaker for me. The iPad will be used by my dad and it sounds like a great idea that I can contact my parents using Skype (or FaceTime) and we can see each other while I travel for my work. I am definitely waiting...

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Believe me, this question has become more annoying to all of us.
    Try searching. If that fails, then make your own decision.

9. gnychis macrumors 6502

10. gnychis macrumors 6502

and just sell one if you buy it now for the new one. apple resale value is very high

11. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

Wait until April when the new one comes out or you'll feel like an *******. /End thread

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

What if we made a sticky thread for this question each month. Each month an "expert" chimes in with whether or not it is a good idea to purchase an iPad at that time. So the most we have is one of these threads a month and everything else gets burned in the lake of fire.

13. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Super idea, especially the lake of fire bit.

14. gkuhn macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for a new one (currently, 512MB RAM and camera is missing).

15. hammered24 macrumors newbie

Speaking of this issue, How come there's no buyers guide for the iPad?

16. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Because nobody besides steve&co. knows what their refresh cycle will be, and any assumption or advice should be taken with a grain of salt. The best anyone can guess is that it will be annual, so if you add a year to April 3, 2010, you get ________.

17. jimbot macrumors member

it would stop a lot of these threads just to add it to the buyers guide, even if it's just an "unclear" but showed it's release date. we all can somewhat assume it's on a cycle like the iphone/ipod

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

You give people waaaaay too much credit.

19. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

Wow, another one of these posts.

Similar one a few threads below this one.....and below that one.

Please make it stop

20. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

It'll be Facetime only because the guys and gals at Skype are useless - the iPad has been around now for 8 months or so in the US, no? Yet Skype still has not made any progress to releasing an iPad specific app since they announced that they were going to back in April.

As for waiting or not waiting, question yourself as to the benefits of having an iPad - will it assist in the productive side of your daily runnings, or will it just enrich your leisure time? If it is the former, then go get one now and enjoy the benefits, if not, then I'd say (if you are in the US) you might be better served by waiting for the next gen as it is at the most 5 months away (unless there is a manufacturing hiccup...again...)

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

There's never a better time, than now to wait for the next gen iPad.

Rumors are flying and things are heating up. My experience reveals every second gen Apple product is always better than the first.

http://goo.gl/As6Of

22. poloponies macrumors 68030

Really? Is that how things work? Future updates improve on existing technology? So is the third generation even better? I mean, in your experience?

23. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Well the third is just quicker, and the fourth will have antenna issues.

In my experience, at least

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

Thx for clearing that up!

25. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I'm kinda in the same boat. Call me stupid, naive, slow to the game, or whatever, but when the iPad was released I didn't see how it was little more than an overside iPod/iPhone. Now I really want one. I played with one for a good half hour at Best Buy and it's just...so tempting. At the time I really didn't have the money either, but now I can afford it. It's just so hard to justify dropping $699 (3G version) on something so...tied down. Tied down to iOS and not with a 'real' operating system like my Macbook Pro. Ah, well, whatever.

I'm just wondering what the resale value of a little used iPad would reach on eBay if I tried to sell it when the iPad 2 was announced and I wanted to get instead. Could I get at least 50% of what I paid?