Should I Buy an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brennan.rusnell, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. brennan.rusnell macrumors newbie


    Feb 11, 2005

    My current cell phone contract is coming to an end, and I would like to get an iPhone 3G.

    However, I keep reading stories about a new model possibly coming in June.

    I realize this is a mockup:

    This article mentions that "the next generation iPhone, however, would likely see less restricted background process support due to its improved hardware":

    Possible new model in June:

    And then Mac Buyer's guide says "don't buy -- updates soon":

    My guess is that the following will be added (along with the usual upgrade in existing hardware):

    - camera for iChat mobile
    - MMS

    However, both of those will require a significant data plan if one plans to use them regularly. I do not intend to make significant use of my cellular data plan, so I wouldn't see myself using those features all the time. Furthermore, I am fine with 16GB.

    Wondering what others would do, given the timing of my current contract, etc.?


    - Brennan
  2. brennan.rusnell thread starter macrumors newbie


    Feb 11, 2005
    Care to elaborate?

  3. Echleon macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2009
    I am in a similar situation to you. It's abit difficult giving any advice as noone actually knows whether a new phone is going to be released in June - it's just pure speculation and prediction. You could end up waiting until June, a new phone wont be released and you will live in a permanant state of paranoia reluctant to buy incase a new model is announced in the coming months.

    I am probably going to buy a 3G as I don't really see what upgrades would appeal to me. I will have no use for Video Calling, and MMS I can easily live without. The only things that I really want in a new iPhone are a improved camera and improved battery live, but they arn't too much of a big deal.

    If a new phone is released in June/July and there is a massive big upgrade or something, I will probably buy it anyway with O2 offer the same deal they did to iPhone 2G users (paying subsidied price for the 3G, and just renewing the contract.) If this deal isn't offered, my contract will probably expire in July/August 2010 by which time a 4th iPhone will probably be released anyway :p
  4. netdog macrumors 603


    Feb 6, 2006
    iPhone 2.1 is out in the field. This isn't just speculation. What the specs will be, however, is another matter altogether. I'd wait.
  5. Echleon macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2009
    Still, it isn't likely to materialize until July. If you think you can wait 5 months then go ahead, if not, take a risk and get the 3G - you can always sell it on when you are done with it.
  6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

    Knowlege Bomb

    Feb 14, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Just no. Hate to sound like a stick in the mud, but if you searched you'd find all of the information you're seeking, including many opinions of the very users you're asking. This subject is VERY common.

    2.1? :confused:

    Are you talking about a hardware revision? Firmware 2.1 has been out for ages.
  7. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Yes, he is. He should have written it as 2,1 (meaning phone version 3), but whatever, I understood.
  8. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816


    Jul 28, 2008
    Perhaps you need to take your own advice.

    2,1 is hardware supposedly seen in the field.
  9. brennan.rusnell thread starter macrumors newbie


    Feb 11, 2005
    Ya, good point. I will search around.
  10. cwwilson macrumors 65816


    Jan 27, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I say go ahead and get the 3G if you have been waiting on an iPhone for a while. June is quite a ways off and the 3G is a very capable device as is, lots of functionality. A software update will bring a lot of features from the new iPhone to the 3G except those that require the new hardware. Everything always gets updated (unless you're Windows lol), cars, computers, TVs etc. Just buy now and the get "New" one later when it's cheap. That's what I'm doing anyway.
  11. rjflyn macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2007
    Well look how well the original iPhone held its value- it sells for more than its original retail price more often than not. Unless there is some awesome killer hardware revision i.e. a 3MP camera taint it. You will more than likely sell it for about what you paid for it if not more. Especially now that there is jailbreak and an unlock for it. If you don't want to take as much of a hit buy a refurb- both ATT and Best Buy are selling them.

  12. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

    Feb 4, 2009
    Ever since I got mine, I use it everyday - go for it!
  13. ineedamac macrumors 6502

    Jul 10, 2008
    I was in a similar situation. I ended up getting the 3G iPhone. I love it. Just get it now, if a new one comes out in July maybe you can always sell the one you get now...then at least you'll have a few months with the current iPhone.
  14. dissdnt macrumors 65816


    Aug 3, 2007
    I think if your really craving it just get it.

    I have a feeling that the new iphone will have a lot more new features but the software will be the same for both.

    So you'll probably be able to run a lot more apps at the same time with the new iphone but with old one maybe a limited number.. etc
  15. applemax macrumors 65816


    Feb 22, 2005
    Same situation as you (I'm also in the UK). After much thought, I'm probably going to pick one up tomorrow. Mainly because my current phone of 2.5 years just broke! :p
  16. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a


    Jan 14, 2009
    Same situation as well.

    If you really really want one bad and can't stand to wait then run out and buy one today!

    Me on the other hand...I really really REALLY want one ... but I can stand to wait until at least June (WWDC?) to see if there is a new revision.

    If not, I will buy the current model and if a new one announced I will wait until it is released (prolly July) and break out the campin gear!


    June 1st is 117 days away. I'll live.
  17. iwhat??? macrumors member

    Feb 4, 2009
    I am relatively new to the iphone changes, but when the 3G was announced how much did the original iphone owners who were still under contract have to pay to get the 3G version? Did the original iphone owners have to sell their original phone on their own (ebay,etc.), or were they able to trade it into the ATT store for some credit?

  18. branjosef macrumors 6502a


    Oct 18, 2007
    buy the phone unless you are one of those people who is obsessed with having the latest and greatest. If you are one of those people, then you mine as well wait till mid summer because a new one will probably be released in a couple of months. I personally am happy with the current version. It was a huge leap from the 1st gen in terms of internet speed and reception.
  19. Echleon macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2009
    I emailed O2 asking whether they plan to maintain the same upgrade policy that they used for people who owned a 2G going to a 3G for future iPhones, and they just completely ignored me!

    I got an email back saying 'Thankyou for your question, you can buy the iPhone 3G at these following stores blah blah blah'
  20. vdubsf macrumors newbie

    Jan 14, 2009
    waiting for new phones is a fruitless exercise, as there will always be something newer, better on the horizon.
    once your dream model comes out, then something better is just around the corner, and you will end up with the same phone 5 years down the road.
  21. brennan.rusnell thread starter macrumors newbie


    Feb 11, 2005

    Good outlook. There's nothing stopping me from upgrading again shortly after another version is released.

    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

    - Brennan
  22. Jayomat macrumors 6502a


    Jan 10, 2009
    so true. that's the bad thing about technology, it keeps getting better ;)
  23. brennan.rusnell thread starter macrumors newbie


    Feb 11, 2005
    I couldn't agree more!

Share This Page