Should i buy? in highschool

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Natzoo, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Hi, i am wondering if i should buy it. I have booked a try on appointment but my friends say that there isnt a use but just to show that you have a really cool watch. I am in a pickle here, i plan on buying the sports one for 399.

2. mrcobra92 macrumors 6502

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Being in high school makes no difference. If you can afford it and if you are going to make good use of it, then that's all you need for your answer.

4. mrcobra92 macrumors 6502

Very well said!

5. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I'm being completely objective here for you and must suggest that yes, you need an Apple Watch.

:cool:

6. dhurricane74 macrumors regular

Colleges are banning them from the classroom, I imagine HS will follow suit. If you are ok with a watch you may not be able to wear in school, and you can afford it... then talk to your parents and see what they think.

7. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

No, actually it makes a huge difference because your school will definitely ban smart watches as soon as they become popular (if they haven't already).
    Universities are even doing it, which is ridiculous, because it's college.

But if you want it to wear after school or on the weekends, go for it.

8. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

when I was in high school in 1991 I bought a $399 Turbo Graphx handheld. First color handheld. I LOL'd at the gameboy people.

I say go for it.

9. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Maybe if you're one of the first, you could be "grandfathered" in before any change in policy, especially if you tie it to things (i.e. reminders for medication, insulin injection, etc.)

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

My friends give me a lot of **** for dropping $400 on the watch. I gave so little ****s what they said they don't care any more :D. They'll all have one inside of few years anyway.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

bonk's adventure FTW!!!

It's up to you, if your school does band them besides the weekend, when will you wear it?
    Side note, will teachers notice if you wear a hoodie/long sleeves? (granted it is getting warmer out so you'll prob. not be wearing long sleeves :p )

12. iJcaP macrumors 6502

I don't know how your school works, but yes get it. Guard it like a hawk, don't be a brat about it and just go with the flow when you're approached about it. If you bring negative attention to it you'll get negative results. This is coming from someone who had the new iPads and iPhones and took them to school the day they were released. Just be advised though that you need to show teachers that it's not a distraction, rather a tool. In other words, don't be rude and obnoxious during class and play with it.

Be responsible, be careful. And most importantly, enjoy.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

14. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I don't agree it's just to show off you have a really cool watch lol. It's going to be a fun little toy, though expensive.

15. Quijano187, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

Quijano187 macrumors member

Im sure you might hear this again in your life young man so he is to goes, Dont worry what other people think. Don't make decisions based on your friends think. Do what makes you feel happy. At the end of the day what matters most is that you are happy.

Im sure you make the right decision. :cool:

16. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You're posting this question in the "Apple Watch Forum", so obvious that's gonna be a highly biased group of people replying to you who're almost all gonna say to buy it regardless of the circumstances.

When you make *any* buying decision, you always have to ask yourself if spending the money on this thing would bring you more benefit than spending that same amount of money on all the other things you could get. In other words, would buying the Apple Watch bring you more pleasure/benefit than buying an XBOne? Or putting that money into investments toward buying a car in a couple years? Or buying a guitar and learning how to rock out? Or etc.?

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Wait, I thought kids these days don't wear watches. What's the deal? :eek:

18. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

At my school, I'm pretty sure that the first time there's an incident with a smart watch, there's going to be a policy change.
    We are allowed to use our phones in school to text, use social media and whatever we want, except when in class. I'm assuming a smart watch will just be another distraction...

19. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

Forget what your friends say. I agree with other replies here, as long as you can afford it, it really doesn't matter. If you like SS, that's also a fantastic option. Your friends are so wrong. As long as you like the Watch, you should definitely order one!

20. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

The possibility for cheating is too prevalent; no one will be allowed to wear one in high school. Which is bogus, in my opinion, because if you can answer the problem using the technology you have on you at all times, why wouldn't you be able to do the same thing in the real world?

But I guess they're worried about how students will fare once this whole internet fad dies out.

21. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

And then they pointed out the thousands of games for the Gameboy vs. the 94 titles available to TurboGrafx-16/TurboExpress and laughed back at you.

22. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

What colleges are banning them outright? The only thing remotely similar that I've been able to find is that some colleges are saying they can't be worn during an exam, which is completely reasonable.

23. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Cheaper than a girlfriend. Go for it. I spent all my money on Reebok pump high tops. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It may sound ridiculous, but it is justified, as the avenues for cheating are becoming more and more inconspicuous. Think about it: Are you looking at your watch to tell the time, or to get an answer or 15 on a test?

With smart watches, teachers/professors couldn't tell the difference, so it would serve better to eliminate those from class.

Not that I agree with the decision, but the justifications for it are there.

BL.

25. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't myself unless I had a lot more than $400 saved up/invested. I only wish I hadn't wasted my high school income (it was only $175 per week, but hey, that was a lot back then) and instead invested it. I'd be MUCH better off today, that's for sure. I could have bought 10,000 shares of AAPL back then in one year, which would be worth a cool 1.26 million today...... how depressing :confused: