Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
i just sold my MBP 13 ( itswas not my primary computer) and nowi am thinking of waiting for MBP 13 upgrade or just go with MBA13 2.13, 256GB 4 gb , but them i thought ill ask you pro's here ...

do you guys know around when there will be a MBP 13 refresh , if its just around the corner ill wait and see what upgrades they offer before spending $1800 or Macbook Air

Last edited:

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
The 13" Macbook Pro was last updated in April 2010. It is probably nearing the end of its life and a new model will probably be released in the next few months.

Be that as it may - the current model 13" Macbook Pro is still a very capable machine. You might want to take a look at the refurbished models offered from the Apple store.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
The 13" Macbook Pro was last updated in April 2010. It is probably nearing the end of its life and a new model will probably be released in the next few months.

Be that as it may - the current model 13" Macbook Pro is still a very capable machine. You might want to take a look at the refurbished models offered from the Apple store.

at the moment they dont offer i3 or i7 in MBP 13. thats what i ws hoping to see int he next refresh. but i am reallllllllllly tempted to buy MB Air

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
at the moment they dont offer i3 or i7 in MBP 13. thats what i ws hoping to see int he next refresh. but i am reallllllllllly tempted to buy MB Air

I'm in a similar dilemma and I have chosen to wait. The MBP will be updated no earlier than Feb 20, as this is the official release date of Sandy Bridge. And probably no later than April (and even that is late, 12 months after previous upgrade). I think Apple wants us impatient 13-inch-buyers to see that the current MBP 13" is not really that good value for money and therefore go with the newer MBA 13" (which doesn't even have backlit keyboard!!).

I will wait to buy the next MBP 13" for exactly as long as Apple decides to keep me waiting. If I don't, it will be upgraded a couple of weeks later and with 50 % more bang for the buck.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
There will be i3/i5 in the next 13" MBP. Apple can longer squeak by on the C2D. The question is whether or not they'll fit some sort of discrete graphics on the logic board.

Still, as another poster mentioned, everything but the i7's are still under Intel NDA, so we'll need a full platform launch before we can expect the update.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'll probably still get a 13" MBA, but I'm trying to wait on the MBP refresh. The only way I'd consider the 13" MBP is if they up the screen resolution and make it significantly less piggish.

And I still don't understand what the issue is with the lack of a back-lit keyboard on the MBA... the keys are in the same place regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
I'll probably still get a 13" MBA, but I'm trying to wait on the MBP refresh. The only way I'd consider the 13" MBP is if they up the screen resolution and make it significantly less piggish.

And I still don't understand what the issue is with the lack of a back-lit keyboard on the MBA... the keys are in the same place regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

It's a beautiful feature, and quite useful for finding function keys in the dark. And even though I have been a habile touch-typist for more than 15 years, I don't want to pay extra for a computer and not have that feature.

iExpensive

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I was in this same predicament. However, the money I had to spend was a gift. I decided to go with the base line 13" MBA because I could not wait x amount of months for the next pro refresh. I also felt that 2gb would atleast get me by another year if I needed to.

If the new MBP is that much of an improvement that warrants my purchase I will sell the MBA.

The one thing I do know is you shouldn't spend $1800 on the air. It's not worth it and the next revision will most likely be off the c2d and have the option for even more ram.

It's a beautiful feature, and quite useful for finding function keys in the dark. And even though I have been a habile touch-typist for more than 15 years, I don't want to pay extra for a computer and not have that feature.
You feel cheated that your not getting a $10 feature?:eek:
It would've been nice to have but I never see it as a downside.

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010

i7 no WAY in next update. i3 is very likely with option to go with i5.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
I can accept the lack of Ethernet port. I can accept a weaker processor.

You feel cheated that your not getting a $10 feature?:eek:
That's affirmative. If I were to buy it, it would entail me paying $500 more for the 13" MBA than the 13" MBP keeping storage space (250 GB) and RAM (4 GB) the same for either device. These are the specs for the entry level 13" MBP and the ultimate 13" MBA. I leave out the CPU comparison, just to make sure that I'm being fair to Apple.

Now - five hundred dollars extra, and Apple skimps on a $10 feature to increase their profit margins? What do they take me for???

Last edited:

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
It's funny how some features are unimportant to some people and most important to others. I couldn't care less about a back lit keyboard (don't use it) and hate the reflective glass screen of my 13" MacBook Pro. So I'm getting a new 13" Air. Others think the exact opposite and wouldn't buy the Air. :)

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
It's funny how some features are unimportant to some people and most important to others. I couldn't care less about a back lit keyboard (don't use it) and hate the reflective glass screen of my 13" MacBook Pro. So I'm getting a new 13" Air. Others think the exact opposite and wouldn't buy the Air. :)

Don't get me wrong, mate. Really - I love the extra screen real estate (26.5 % extra) of the MBA plus it's only semi-glossy. It nearly got me to buy it... until I saw that it has no backlit keyboard. Now I don't know what to do. I just hope that the next MBP 13" will get a matte option.

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
Don't get me wrong, mate. Really - I love the extra screen real estate (26.5 % extra) of the MBA plus it's only semi-glossy. It nearly got me to buy it... until I saw that it has no backlit keyboard. Now I don't know what to do. I just hope that the next MBP 13" will get a matte option.
...confirming my point exactly. I hope your needs are met.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
The one thing I do know is you shouldn't spend $1800 on the air. It's not worth it and the next revision will most likely be off the c2d and have the option for even more ram.
\

i shouldnt spend $1800 on MBA ? but if i get 256GB and 4GB ram with 2.13 it goes around $2000 ?

INEEDANOTEBOOK

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2010
Icy City
The airs are way too expensive for what they are. I would wait for the new pros to come out before making any move than I would regret, if I were you...

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
The airs are way too expensive for what they are. I would wait for the new pros to come out before making any move than I would regret, if I were you...

hummmm... but they pretty much hold there value for resale ... don't they ?

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
Got to love all the mbp owners in the MBA section telling everyone to not purchase it and wait

Of course the MBP owners will answer to an OP addressing the "pro's".

1) If you want the MBA, then buy it now.
2) If you want the MBP, then wait.
3) If in doubt (MBA vs MBP), then wait.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Of course the MBP owners will answer to an OP addressing the "pro's".

1) If you want the MBA, then buy it now.
2) If you want the MBP, then wait.
3) If in doubt (MBA vs MBP), then wait.

I totally agree with your points. But both pros and cons should be addressed before pushing him to purchase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.