Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I also considered waiting for the Air to be refreshed, you know.. to get the latest and greatest, but then we're probably talking after the summer, and... that's quite a long wait when I could really use one now. And if, for some reason, it turns out I could really benefit from a faster CPU I'll consider selling this one in the fall or whenever the new Air does come out, and upgrade to the new one then.

Btw, I linked to this review earlier on this forum, which really got me convinced of how capable the current MBA is: Frank Chimero - The Setup.

as mentioned here earlier ...there wont be a refresh for MBA by another 6-8 months .. i think you did the right this ENJOY !!!

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
but there is a upgrade to mbp very soon .. and thats whats keeping me from buying the Air right now ... i wanna see what they offer

either way you will be happy! the macbook air is ultra portable for people who carry it around alot and the macbook pro is going to be more bulky. in this case it depends on your life style. Either way i guarantee you happiness i have owned both and the macbook air i enjoy far more due to the size and the firmware allowing for features the macbook pro will most likely not have. Waking from sleep instantly is key for me.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
^^
That's right--nice to have a choice. I plan to use my MBA mostly at home but I still want the light weight and simplicity--and it is still a full-feature computer--and mostly likely will replace my iMac for most things.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
either way you will be happy! the macbook air is ultra portable for people who carry it around alot and the macbook pro is going to be more bulky. in this case it depends on your life style. Either way i guarantee you happiness i have owned both and the macbook air i enjoy far more due to the size and the firmware allowing for features the macbook pro will most likely not have. Waking from sleep instantly is key for me.

its that difference just 2 lbs ?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
That's why there is a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro--as well as the others in the Apple line--and then there is the PC too--lots of options--and one that will be sure to fit your wants, needs, and desires--you just have to make a choice on what fits the best. :D

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
so i am guess right now if we can should hold on the MBA purchase .... as there might be a interesting upgrade soon...

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'd wait. I'm still running a 486 because there is always something better just around the corner. :D:D:D

turkey1

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
My 13" MBA base processor 4g ram renders filters in CS5 faster then my unibody macbook. It almost renders instantly, never video edit so can't say how it would handle that. Anyway people are already saying skip SB and wait for the next generation of MBA I say buy now it's a big leap from the last version of the air. Skip the negligible upgrade if it happens in march or june, and wait for the next big leap. I won't buy a new one until it can have more than 4g of ram.

But this one is running everything I can throw at it. Plus you don't buy a MBA for specs there seems to be a widening gap. People ether need a maxed out 8gig monster, or they won't even use the MBA to it's max. Nobody I know can find anything that a 13" MBP can do that a MBA won't.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
If you don't need it yet, then wait.

That's really it--just depends on how much you need a new computer. I really want a new Macbook Air but I don't really need it now so I think I'll wait for a bit as it does seem like it could be an interesting update if it does come sooner rather than later. But by all means, if you need a laptop now and are thinking of the Air--buy it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.