Should I buy PDF Expert (Mac) from the web or Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zerosopher, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Zerosopher macrumors regular

Zerosopher

The company is offering student discounts.

I am thinking if I should grab it from its website or buy the full price app from the Mac App Store.

I am wondering about when I need to reinstall the app. It means I need to always get it from the website, not the App Store.

Are there any disadvantages buying from the web?

Thank you.

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I would purchase via the MAS. The advantage from the website is updates come faster.

3. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Go with the MAS. Any benefit you get up front will eventually be lost. For example when a company decided it's cheaper to sell only through the MAS and you have no way to upgrade without purchasing again, or when Apple finally decides that it will only allow apps purchases from its store - for your security.

5. vixster1901 macrumors regular

vixster1901

I would NOT buy from MAS. You will be stuck with ONLY the current version. If you buy direct from vendor, you will be able to download previous versions.. So, if you don't like the new version, you can keep/redownload the original version.
    The MAS will NOT let you re-download the original purchased version.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Check the website on features they had to eliminate in order to make the App acceptable in the store. Sometimes these are minor differences. Sometimes they result in a vastly inferior Version from the MAS.

7. nnoble macrumors regular

First of all, lucky you for getting a discount on this great piece of software. I'm a teacher, had to pay full price and I use it entirely for the benefit of students. I tried buying direct but technical reasons prevented this at the time and I was in a hurry. With a reputable developer like Readdle there are benefits when things go wrong - these have been highlighted above. Buy direct.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The developer offers discounts
    Capto_Capture 2017-04-26_06-24-52_AM.png

9. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Developer site purchase gives you 3 licences, whereas MAS allows you to use it on as many computers as you own. In my case, having 6 Macs in our house, MAS is the only way to go.