Should I buy Retina 15" now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, May 16, 2014.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Looking at the Intel Roadmap, I am wary if there will be a bump in speed.
    I don't want to invest in the higher end Retina MBP if Apple will come out with a faster one?

Any recommendations?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The speed bump will most likely be very minor (0.1-0.2GHz bump) and will have completely zero difference in your work.

3. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I would wait until the WWDC keynote on June 2nd to see if they release a small spec bump, which is possible.

The potential bump will be small, but it'll also increase battery life by around 10%, and the machine, being a "mid 2014" model, as it would be, would fetch a higher resale value than a "late 2013" model when it comes to be that time.

To that end, I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about an update if it doesn't come at WWDC. From experience doing it both ways, it's better to just buy when you want or need it and not obsess over processor roadmaps or rumor sites too much.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd buy it now and not worry about the future. There will always be a faster computer getting prepped for release. I'd say if there is a speed bump in the coming months it will be minor. So unless you're willing to wait for Broadwell get one now.

5. ross7777 macrumors member

Would a small speed bump translate to a price drop? Similar to what happened with the MBA? Or at least a price drop on the October models hopefully.

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

You could wait but, nothing mind blowing is going to come, only minor increases as stated above.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Even if there is no mindblowing update, just the chance of a price drop (ala MacBook Air) should entice you to wait out a couple of weeks.

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yes, the price of the 2013 model's would lower as they would be discontinued and therefore only continue being sold as "refurbs"

9. psychedelia macrumors regular

Considering the widespread problems with yellow tint/uneven lighted screen, I would never buy right now. Apple needs to fix this first - hopefully with the next update.

10. RandomCitizen macrumors member

I am absolutely one to have a tendency to wait. But, going from a Haswell to a Haswell just doesn't interest me in waiting. You're looking at a couple hundred cycles of a bump, that's it.

If it were September or October, I still wouldn't wait, because when Broadwell comes out from Intel, there's no guarantee that Apple will immediately pick it up - their history is that they wouldn't necessarily immediately pick it up. It could easily be early 2015 or mid-2015 for Braodwell to be in a MBP.

11. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'd wait unless you have a good deal (e.g. a friend needing money and offering his almost new rMBP for a decent price).

I think the best time to buy a new Mac is just after the launch date. Here in Brazil retailers usually offer previous-gen models for more affordable prices. Think that this 10% spec bump is like an early upgrade you'll get for free.

12. MUWarrior10 macrumors member

I was trying to wait to purchase my 15" rmbp until after WWDC. However, due to an unforeseen circumstance I had to move up my purchase. I feel completely comfortable with this. It doesn't sound like there will be a major bump at WWDC.

13. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Should I buy Retina 15" now?

If you NEED one, I would say YES.. if NOT, I would say WAIT until you DO..

And in another Three Years, Repeat as Required!! ;)

14. hirtaza macrumors member

hirtaza

hey! instead of making a new thread i thought i ll let everyone know about this here and to answer to you aswell due to school this summer i had to buy a macbook retina 15inch too before WWDC...I was speaking with the manager at the apple store to see if they can extend my 14day return period (i got it this past tuesday MAY 13th) and the manager said if Apple announces a new updated product and ur still within the month of ur purchase they will exchange it on the spot so with WWDC on the 2nd I'm still within the month if you or the OP gets his/her macbook even now you all should be good...I live in Toronto Canada but it should be the same in North America i believe

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Intel CEO said Broadwell by the holiday season; any earlier would be very difficult, so I would buy now unless you want to hold off until next year.

16. RandomCitizen macrumors member

I wonder what that means for a refurb buyer ;)

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I'm usually with the "buy it when you need it crowd." And I also don't expect an upgrade anytime soon.

However, with WWDC happening in two weeks from now, it might be worth waiting if it is not urgent. There is also some track record of Apple introducing new models in early June.

On the other hand you can also buy this or next week and then just use your return window if something interesting is announced.

18. Nandifix macrumors 6502

I would probably just wait for the keynote just to be sure. You can always buy now and then if a new one does come out return it within the 2 weeks period.

19. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Gee, just we needed - another "Should I buy or wait thread."

Buy if you need it, wait if you don't.

:rolleyes:

20. citivolus macrumors 6502a

does anyone have experience with getting a price adjustment on a refurb purchase? I wonder what Apple would do if I buy a refurb today and then they drop the price at WWDC, which is less than 14 days away. This is complicated by the fact that refurb stock comes and goes. I'd hate to return it for a refund, then have to wait until it comes into stock again.

21. pk314 macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new MacBook as well so I'm just going to wait until WWDC as I don't NEED one right now and when I talked to the Apple store associate he told me that usually they bring out a back to school/student discount during june-august anyways.

22. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I'd wait until there's a speed increase, then buy the current model when the price on those drops.

23. dblissmn macrumors regular

15's good to go now in my view. Phenomenally cooler running than recent generations, even with an external display, even under load. And the full 4K treatment as well for external displays. Any speed bump at WWDC is going to be minor. If I were in the market for a 13 I'd wait for Broadwell because out of the current integrated graphics implementations the only one that really does justice to 4K is Iris Pro -- not available in any 13 inch model yet.

Point above about waiting for back to school promotions is worth considering but note that those were less last year than in previous years.

24. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

25. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Increase battery life? How? Broadwell won't be ready for WWDC.